Newly Enlightened
Here you go.

3185130851_bfeb5465ed.jpg

3185130963_d78b6002eb.jpg

3186660735_29556d2a4a.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3324/3186660735_29556d2a4a.jpg?v=0

vmspb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for this thread, it was realy helpfull.

Just modded my Zipka with Nichias GS, the resistor is an original 3.3 ohm yet. Yes, it come very bright. But with fresh alkaline AAAs the current is 195 mA now, i.e. 65 mA per LED. With original LEDs it was 150 mA, 50 mA per LED, which is much over rate too, and the current will essentially go down while the batteries drain. But now the beam comes blueish (in a center), it seems to be a bad sign for a LED...

So, will it be lethal for Nichias if I leave this 3.3 ohm resistor? Thanks for advise.

ArisaemaDracontium

Newly Enlightened
vmspb: how is your light going?

I have a Zipka with 4 LED's I'm hoping to upgrade as soon as I can find the emitters. The photo below is what I have for internals. I don't know where this resistor is, but whichever one of those do-dads it is, its pretty small and I don't think I am going to be able to replace it. Will this MOD work anyway?

web.jpg

ArisaemaDracontium

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Cemoi, that thread has some good info.

This is a bit OT, but I have a bike light with amber LED's I'd like to change to white Nichias. I'm very much an amature at this, so forgive my ignorance but what is Vf and why does it prevent the guy on that thread from replacing white LEDs with red LEDs, and will this also be a problem if I want to swap amber out for white?

Cemoi

Enlightened
I have a bike light with amber LED's I'd like to change to white Nichias
I had the same projects a few months ago. Solving it made me learn a lot of things (mainly thanks to CPF), and I have now a much brighter front light.
See the details in this thread.
Which bike light do you have?
what is Vf and why does it prevent the guy on that thread from replacing white LEDs with red LEDs, and will this also be a problem if I want to swap amber out for white?
Looks like you'd be better off reading the welcome mat. Anyway yes swapping amber LEDs for white will probably not work, you need to boost up the voltage supplied to the LEDs. The how-to is in the above thread, in post #15.
Good luck, there is much to learn here.