• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TISvn & MaratacVN - Brightest & Most Advanced Keychain Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus

Enlightened
Re: TISvn - Brightest & Most Advanced Keychain Light

You know, I thought SS was better, but apparently only some alloys are. Some are not. I just looked up thermal conductivity numbers for some common metals, and I'll report them as relative numbers--the units don't matter for getting the comparisons.

Silver won outright, of course, at 235.
Copper 223.
Aluminum 118.
Titanium 11-13
Stainless 7-26.

I assume they are reporting ranges for those two because there are so many recipes.

So I'm surprised! Depending on the composition, SS can be worse than Titanium!

More surprises: Tungsten is actually a pretty good conductor, at 94-100, and Plutonium is *terrible*, at 4.6.

Hey Mr. Nguyen--cancel that Plutonium light I ordered from you--the heat-management is terrible!

(Oh, and it weighs a ton, costs a million, and is lethally radioactive).

But keep working on the Tungsten light--great heat-management, and I don't have to add an after-market window-breaker to it. Whole light is window-breaker!

(Figures from here: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-metals-d_858.html)
Maybe Vinh could try some Depleted Uranium (D-38). It's 68.4% denser than lead and it is only weakly radioactive because of its long radioactive half-life of 4.468 billion years! :laughing:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

These take forever to build!!! Shipping 1st 5 tomorrow :)

rjking

Enlightened

Yes!:twothumbs

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Please be extra patient with this one. Next 5 will take some time to crank. I have to modify everything. Focus body length circuit fitment cosmetic centering

Tacitus

Enlightened

If this is copper, then I'll take...
MaratacVN
XPL 6500K
A)+ $55 DriverVN Max brightness + Copper Heat sink base + PermanentArctic Silver Bond + Beam Tuning
B)+ $5 for "V54" Engraved

:clap:Thank you!! :clap:

Last edited:

craziplaya21

Newly Enlightened

What the hell, a copper version? I'm in!:

$70 MaratacVN
XPL 5000K
A)+ $55 DriverVN Max brightness + Copper Heat sink base + PermanentArctic Silver Bond + Beam Tuning
B)+ $5 for "V54" Engraved

Last edited:

rjking

Enlightened

:paypal: for 1 MaratacVn

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Just a heads up. Polished Cu scratches very easily so your light have have soem scraches while mod handling :). The stainless version is ultra tough.

craziplaya21

Newly Enlightened

Just a heads up. Polished Cu scratches very easily so your light have have soem scraches while mod handling :). The stainless version is ultra tough.
Probably an obvious answer, but would you suggest sandblasting it then, to make scratches less visible?

edit: nvm, I'll just live with the scratches. It adds character :p

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Probably an obvious answer, but would you suggest sandblasting it then, to make scratches less visible?

edit: nvm, I'll just live with the scratches. It adds character :p

Agree!

tino79

Newly Enlightened
Stainless Steel is more bad in getting heat away than copper, this we all know. But do you know how much would be the difference between the two lights? How fast de TiSvn gets hot? And the Maratac? Or do you have lumen and temperature readings of both at the beginning, after a while and after a longer time?

mellowhead

Enlightened
Stainless Steel is more bad in getting heat away than copper, this we all know. But do you know how much would be the difference between the two lights? How fast de TiSvn gets hot? And the Maratac? Or do you have lumen and temperature readings of both at the beginning, after a while and after a longer time?

Would probably need to wait for someone to review it thoroughly (like Selfbuilt) to get these measurements.

rjking

Enlightened
Hi Vinh

Any approximate lumen count or max output for the nichia?

rumack

Enlightened
These look sweet, Vinh. I love the idea of a nice programmable driver in a Maratac host.

If I go with Option A to get DriverVN, will the light still work with eneloops also, just at reduced outputs for each mode, or is it then li-ion only?

Have you tried sand blasting one of the copper Maratacs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts