Titanium Anodizing

lunas

Enlightened
My setup goes from 0-125v anything past about 60v looks off im not getting good colors my bath is borax and distilled water anything below 60v looks good and is even. From what i have found online unless i use some method of etching the titanium first going past 60v will be unpredictable.

so far i have tried cold super iron out as an etchant next ill try toothpaste overnight after that ill try older formula of super iron out. Maybe ill just settle for the low voltage colors... But I kinda want to get green reliably my multi tool with no prep hit green on the edges during the second attempt.

I am also wet sanding to 2000 grit the knife scale i'm going to do next to see if that will do it. Titanium the sandpaper destroyer...

Also about people who use multi etch

the stuff needs to be double the strength cold or heated to 150F you need to use a fume hood but it will strip the color from the pieces no sanding no polishing just eats the titanium and if you leave it in too long will dissolve it.

But the colors really do look very deep and rich.

Last edited:

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Would it be expensive to anodize this light?[h=1]Fenix RC09 Limited Edition Rechargeable Flashlight Polished Titanium[/h]

theslippyslug

Enlightened
i wouldn't try to ano that... Magnets and non-Ti parts of some of these light can really mess with the process... More trouble than it's worth!

...and thanks wquiles :)

MrZelly

Newly Enlightened
Great stuff theslippyslug! Have a couple lights I wouldn't mind discussing with you. Sent PM previously but no reply.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW !!! Love the rainbow splash!!

Looks fantastic - but are they a part for something - it's not "just" a zipper pull is it?

Also - don't suppose you have name of link to paracord in post 222? From a year ago? FYI - the money clip (post 222) is in my bag, ~2 meters from me in my hotel room. It's where I keep my "stripper" money - dollar bills (I actually use them for vending machines).

Last edited:

theslippyslug

Enlightened
Hi!! Hope you're well :)
the paracord is made by Atwood and the pattern is called candy snake

they aren't zipper pulls - they are tec accessories pixel Ti lights

glad you're getting good use out of that clip ;)

phosphor22

Enlightened
this TEC accessories new warm tint Pixel one fabulous light - love the anodizing, although I don't have the anodized version... wish I did!
I mentioned this light in a post a while back; mine is a plain Ti warm tint prototype. Its a really nice small lightweight kind of industrial yet elegant light. I love the stonewash finish.
I believe this was the Kickstarter project version that was anodized. I understand the warm tint will be available sometime soon, but not sure when.

Last edited:

helios123

Enlightened
I can see my two Pixels there! ;)

I didn't know you're the one anodising these beauties!