Tmack customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfect. Hair net, gloves etc ;)

And maybe just store it with one of those silica packets that keep things dry if it's extra humid in your house.

star_c_star

Enlightened
Yes please! No more Decanning! Haha.

But really, it'll be hard to notice even that difference.

Your cypreus came out great. I really like it in 405nm. Going to be a great pocket laser. What better to have in your pocket than the distance burner lol.

Tmack,

How can you tell the difference between the one element and three element lenses when they are attached to a focus adapter, and when you don't want to remove them from the laser?

I suspect it won't be easy, so I will probably label the focus adapters with felt tip or a very fine diamond scriber, and NEVER switch lens barrels from adapter to adapter.

That should solve the problem.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Super easy :)

One looks brass, one looks black. Sometimes they stray from that rule, but 90% of mine are like that.

If all else fails, the g2 (1 element) has the screw that holds in the lens inside the focus adapter.
The 3 element has the retention screw on the outside where it screws into the laser.

Arilou

Newly Enlightened
Any good ways to store the laser from humity? Its always humid in my house because it has to be 5 million degrees for my parents to put it on lol

How about not putting it in the freezer like you did before? LOL

Obviously having the diode exposed isn't going to immediately kill it. But those things are sealed for a reason. There is some kind of photochemical reaction that is known to occur with GaN and water. So if you got water in there and powered it on, maybe it could cause some damage.

Come back in a year or two and let us know how this experiment worked out. :)

LumenTodd

Newly Enlightened
Lol would get a serious workout from a 2x18650 host.

Who knows maybe it's machinable. I know the really soft metals are difficult, but then again, so are the ultra hard.

FYI - My career has been in and around the "Tungsten" or Carbide game. Tungsten in it's final form is an extremely hard metal (After the liquid-phase sintering) It's also very brittle, drop a 1/4" carbide drill on the cement floor and watch it shatter. Tungsten Jewelry is becoming popular as they add different substrates to make less brittle. To machine it you need to use a diamond based tool or abrasive wheel. The entire machining industry moves forward with carbide products. :)

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tmack, I left you a message about building a laser for me. Did you get it?

Mike Sloan

Enlightened
Well with the 405nm, my thoughts are, the divergence is so good, a g2 would bump up the power, and still have great divergence because it's a single mode diode(perfect circular output)
But Alex and star wanted even better divergence while sacrificing a bit of power.
I find as you get more experienced, power and numbers mean less than good divergence you can actually appreciate.

1w is about the limit for these. They are TINY. They are already getting g driven to 700ma, and because they are so new, is stick with that. They are very sensitive diodes as a couple customers and myself have found.

I like the cypress. Even a maglite would be great. The c11 is good with the extra heatsinking too.

Im having a hard time deciding which spectrum to go with. Burning , although very cool, is not top priority for me. I am more interested in very low divergence and quality of the beam. My concern with the 405nm is that it will not be as bright as the 520nm or the 532nm. Will the 1W 520nm have a circular beam, or is it similar to the rectangular 445? I love the beam on my 532 JL....just not the frequency hopping. I'm starting to lean toward the Cyprus host with a 1W 520 diode and whatever lens would create the best beam? But the price might be sobering:)

star_c_star

Enlightened
FYI - My career has been in and around the "Tungsten" or Carbide game. Tungsten in it's final form is an extremely hard metal (After the liquid-phase sintering) It's also very brittle, drop a 1/4" carbide drill on the cement floor and watch it shatter. Tungsten Jewelry is becoming popular as they add different substrates to make less brittle. To machine it you need to use a diamond based tool or abrasive wheel. The entire machining industry moves forward with carbide products. :)

Tungsten alloy, Tungsten with 5- 10% or so of other metals, is not brittle. They make "Bucking Bars" out of it. A Bucking Bar is an inertial mass used in riveting, "behind" where the rivet is placed.

Some properties of tungsten bucking bars (I removed the ones not really relevant to this discussion):

1. Excellent durability, robust construction and supreme finish.
2. The bars are made using tungsten alloy which has very high density.
4. They are ideal for applications that involve vibration damping.
5. The tungsten alloys are mainly composed of 95% tungsten.

My 6 pound specimen is a rectangular bucking bar. Tungsten alloy is better than alloy steel for this purpose since the same mass is much smaller, can fit into confined areas, and is much more durable.

It would be cool to make a flashlight or laser host out of tungsten alloy, but probably not very easy. It, or at least the outer shell, would certainly be pretty durable.:)

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
y4y4yne2.jpg

Been a loooonnnggg night!

Gotta get up for work in 3.5 hours! Holy crap!

But I slumber knowing I am the master :p decan a 3.8mm 405nm? Yeah what of it? ;)

Thanks for the update, they look great!

-Mayo :wave:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the steam punk look of the copperhead. Very cool looking. Looks almost vintage looking. I may have to keep one........ Or two........ :p

star_c_star

Enlightened
y4y4yne2.jpg

Been a loooonnnggg night!

Gotta get up for work in 3.5 hours! Holy crap!

But I slumber knowing I am the master :p decan a 3.8mm 405nm? Yeah what of it? ;)

Hi Tmack,

I received my 3 new builds today (they are probably the 2 c11 builds right above the copper host, plus the copper host itself)

The c11 v2 with 2.8 watt output is as effective a burner as my Tmag v2, probably since the power is only 10% less but the focus is slightly better (3 element lens versus 1 element).

The Cypreous host is a work of art, small, well built, heavy, and a very effective beamer with the 405 nm diode and 3 element lens. It also conducts heat to the body very effectively, which is a good thing.

I am really tempted to ask for a Cypreous host with a 3 watt diode. It would be a Pocket Rocket equal to the Tmag v2, although you probably couldn't run it as long.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great! I'm very happy everything is safe and you like it. :D

I knew that cypreus would impress you. I love them.

star_c_star

Enlightened
Great! I'm very happy everything is safe and you like it. :D

I knew that cypreus would impress you. I love them.

Tmack,

I found that my c11 638 nm was using a g2 1 element lens (brass colored barrel with insert), so I swapped the focus adapter + lens with the g3 3 element on my new c11 405 nm build.

The 638 nm is now producing slightly less power, and the c11 405 nm is producing noticeably more.

The beam of the Cypreus 405 nm, with its 3 element lens, now looks better than the c11 405 nm with the 1 element lens. It isn't as powerful, but the number of artifacts is lower, and it seems almost a perfect circle at some focus points.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great! The 638nm probably needed cleaning up. :)

Well, you got a 45$ lens for the price of a 3 element :p haha.

I'm glad you got it how you like it my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.