• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TN36UTvn - Pop Can King

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
PERFECT description! :)

reminds me of a M@G build I did with a FM Par36 head a long time ago ... I dont remember the lumens (maybe 3000-4000?), but I turned it on and my friend jumped back in awe and asked me what the bulb was from...

aircraft landing light..... lololololol.

yz kid 69

Newly Enlightened
I am about to order this light after a lot of research. Question though, what are the best PROTECTED 18650 cells I can use in this light? I only see keeppower protected on skylumen.com. Are these adequate?

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am about to order this light after a lot of research. Question though, what are the best PROTECTED 18650 cells I can use in this light? I only see keeppower protected on skylumen.com. Are these adequate?

Protected cells will not work in this light, I tested this light to draw over 11 amps on turbo. You will need good high drain unprotected cells for this light.

yz kid 69

Newly Enlightened
Protected cells will not work in this light, I tested this light to draw over 11 amps on turbo. You will need good high drain unprotected cells for this light.

Damn, I have no experience with unprotected cells, not sure how to properly maintain them. Looks like I will need to do some more research

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn, I have no experience with unprotected cells, not sure how to properly maintain them. Looks like I will need to do some more research
The trick is to start with four new, identical cells for this light, and keep those four cells for the light.

Do not mix other cells. Keep four cells, newly purchased identical to each other, at the same charge level. The usual, customary, routine rules, nothing exotic. Double check proper polarity when inserting the cells. Do not over charge, do not over discharge. Use the correct charger. Do not allow untrained hands access to the light. Power down when the light feels hot; keep hands on the light when running, do not run the light unattended.

Email Vinh with any questions about battery selection and usage.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great advice concisely delivered richbuff!

I use a fine point Sharpie (either black or silver) to actually label the batteries 1/4, 2/4, 3/4 & 4/4 and the flashlight model name!

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great advice concisely delivered richbuff!

I use a fine point Sharpie (either black or silver) to actually label the batteries 1/4, 2/4, 3/4 & 4/4 and the flashlight model name!

I've been thinking about doing that too. I have singles, sets of 2, 3 and 4. I need to do it before I forget where they came from and when. 🙄

ghotep

Newly Enlightened
Re: TN36UTvn - Pop Can King - 30Q

I think the Samsung INR18650-30Q's are under-appreciated. On HKJ's battery review comparator

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

try comparing the 30Q to the Sony VTC5 and the LG 18650 MJ1. The 30Q beats the VTC5 at both
10 and 15 amps by lasting longer and putting out a higher voltage. And the MJ1 isn't even rated
to go over 10 amps. The 30Q looks like a great choice for the Pop Can King.

Vinh gives a choice of the MJ1 or the VTC5 for his RC40vn battery pack - but from HKJ's figures it looks
like the 30Q might be better than either of them - compare them at 7 and 10 amps and see.

ven

Flashaholic

Not saying i am right, but the vtc5 are very good cells and under load they should be better than the 30Q 15a rating. In fact the vtc5 are the highest rated 18650 iirc..........genuine though!! This is the hard part as there are many counterfeit vtc5's out there, some with 25R's inside, others with poorer cells..........just thoughts.

Reg 30Q, i am a fan and have many of them, enough A rating for most lights with respectable run time to boot!

ghotep

Newly Enlightened

Not saying i am right, but the vtc5 are very good cells and under load they should be better than the 30Q 15a rating. In fact the vtc5 are the highest rated 18650 iirc..........genuine though!! This is the hard part as there are many counterfeit vtc5's out there, some with 25R's inside, others with poorer cells..........just thoughts.

Reg 30Q, i am a fan and have many of them, enough A rating for most lights with respectable run time to boot!

You say "under load they should be better". Maybe they are - I am just saying that according to HKJ's battery comparator,
at currents up to 15 A (which is where the Pop Can King falls at any brightness level) the 30Q delivers higher voltage
under load, and lasts longer. Unless I am reading the chart wrong, the VTC5 is inferior at any current 15 amps or less.
Correct me if I am not interpreting HKJ's results correctly.

ven

Flashaholic

I wonder if they could be genuine as vtc5 are pretty much the best 18650 high drain cell afaik...................they stopped making them, then some were released..........so many copies/fakes out there due to demand!

Ones i have from a few year back are pretty awesome, no voltage drop and work amazing in high drain applications............more so than flashlights. At a point when i was testing some crazy sub ohm coils, i was pushing 40a over 2 cells, the vtc5 lasted the longest .

ven

Flashaholic
I tend to use 30Q more than any other cell in my lights, be it the Q70 or k60vn. For value and enough performance for pretty much all lights(within reason) they do the job very well. Problem with vtc5's are getting authentic ones.............so hard to recommend tbh.

ghotep

Newly Enlightened
...Problem with vtc5's are getting authentic ones.............so hard to recommend tbh.

You're right, there is a lot of confusion about this. On the illumn.com website it is interesting to note
that their VTC5 page says that the cells are NOT intended for use as a "stand-alone" product in e-cigarettes,
etc (that would include flashlights), and are only supposed to be used for "prototyping, with proper protection
circuits". So go ahead and buy them, but definitely not to put in flashlights :)

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
You're right, there is a lot of confusion about this. On the illumn.com website it is interesting to note
that their VTC5 page says that the cells are NOT intended for use as a "stand-alone" product in e-cigarettes,
etc (that would include flashlights), and are only supposed to be used for "prototyping, with proper protection
circuits". So go ahead and buy them, but definitely not to put in flashlights :)

Agree,

There are no stand alone sony or LG or Samsung that are intended for flashlight use or general public use. Laptops, power tools, electric cars with protection circuits are their dedicated application to name some. So it goes for all really the big cell manufacturers IMO, just that companies(efest,keeppower,xtar etc etc) get hold of them, maybe buy in bulk, fit a seiko PCB and their wrap,then sell to the public. With recent issues/fires which i put down to ignorance mainly, they have had to come out and state not for ******* uses, or law suits in abundance will be around the corner! Not sure if the other big manufacturers have also come out, if not no doubt they will in time. Thats my take on things..........

ven

Flashaholic
You still get plenty of flood with de-dome, the tint K is lowered a little, to my eyes maybe 500k ish. You will increase the throw a little and have a slight loss of lumens by de-dome too.

Max lumen and flood=dome on
Max throw/reach, slight loss of lumen and a touch warmer=de-dome(shaved dome)