• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TN40vn - Should T6vn be scared?!

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hy mike.. thanks for the suggestion.. i dont think i will order x65vn..
1st reason.. i have a rc40vn and rarely used it. Lol.
2nd reason.. tn40vn spec 4 perform just like x65vn. Much compact and ability to switch batteries.
3rd reason. This light is R. Recommend by vinh.

Tn40vn spec 4 cost $460 and came with driver vnx2..

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, ok, I'll just spill the beans I guess. I'm interested in this light and know where there's going to be one for sale.

I said to much already.....:ohgeez:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, ok, I'll just spill the beans I guess. I'm interested in this light and know where there's going to be one for sale.

The lurkers are licking their chops waiting for FL to drop.
But you're safe from me.
And I hope you succeed.

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lurkers are licking their chops waiting for FL to drop.
But you're safe from me.
And I hope you succeed.

I'll try my best, I just hope CPF holds up, it gets really slow for me.

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yer safe from me too. I got my spec 4 and am happy with it.

Frankly, in your case I think it might be better to wait because the TN40c (comes with a battery carrier as opposed to a battery pack and is much cheaper) was not available when I got my TN40vn.

Just sayin.

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yer safe from me too. I got my spec 4 and am happy with it.

Frankly, in your case I think it might be better to wait because the TN40c (comes with a battery carrier as opposed to a battery pack and is much cheaper) was not available when I got my TN40vn.

Just sayin.

Yea, I was just gonna say the same thing. When the tn40c hit the shelves, the vn version should be a whole lot cheaper. Maybe $350?

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received the spec 4 from sale today, I'll be trying it out tonight against the X60vn with similar specs.

My first impression was that it was smaller then I was thinking it would be. I know I'm going to like the Drivervnx2 UI much better then the X60vn UI, and the much smaller size. I'll see how much I like it tonight.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received the spec 4 from sale today, I'll be trying it out tonight against the X60vn with similar specs.

My first impression was that it was smaller then I was thinking it would be. I know I'm going to like the Drivervnx2 UI much better then the X60vn UI, and the much smaller size. I'll see how much I like it tonight.

Tn40vn spec is nice, compact.. 9000 lumen. 500k lux...

Impossible lumens

Enlightened

Awesome MikeB. Please do tell us everything. :)

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last 2 nights I took both my X60vn and TN40vn spec 4 to compare. First night was snowing, last night was foggy, so not the best weather for testing yet. I did compare best I could side by side and here's what I got.

First Vinh's tested ANSI specs,
X60vn XML2-PDT 6500 lumens 550k lux
TN40vn spec 4 8820 lumens 500k lux

The first thing I noticed on lower modes up close was the tint difference, the 5000k XHP35 leds had a much nicer "natural" look, the colors looked much better outside. The throw is very close and the X60vn was just barely noticeable side by side at a distance. The TN40vn did have a larger hot-spot though which was nice, I would guess around 50% bigger, it lite up a noticeably larger area. The spill on the TN40vn was also wider then the X60vn, not a lot but side by side it was wider.

The DriverVNX2 was the best part, one hand single button operation with instant turbo just a double click away, can't beat it. Of course their is a substantial size difference too, the TN40vn was smaller then I was expecting and easily fits in my coat side pocket. I'll add size comparison pictures when I get a chance next to my other larger lights.

All in all I think I will like this light more then I thought I would, I am impressed overall so far.

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the X60vn can run without heat issues, I only ran the TN40vn for a few minutes on turbo and you could tell that it was warming up, the X60vn was still cold.

I'll try comparing to other more current lights as I rotate through my lights.

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
My Turkey Day sale TN40vn arrived this am. It's Spec 5: XHP35 HD 6000K; 10,000 Lumen, 325K Lux. (although I ordered 5000K). It's my first light with a VN driver. My rough guess is that it appears to be set at about 5/40/80/100. I already owned a stock TN40 NW, which is great except for the relatively narrow center spot. Vinh's Thanksgiving Day sale provided a nice opportunity to see what a TN40 with HD XHP35s would do.

This TN40vn light with 4 – XHP35 HDs is not a flooder, but still puts out a wall of light and has the beam profile I prefer: larger center bright area with no discernable hotspot edge at closer distances (25yds). It's much like an old school incan type beam – a smooth floody thrower. But of course with a crapload more lumens and lux.

Tonight I was able to compare it with my stock TN40 NW and Acebeam K40Mvn (dedomed MTG2). Each of these appeared to out throw the TN40vn (Spec 5), but not by much and the different light temps may also play a little role in apparent throw. The K40Mvn's greater throw is barely noticeable. The TN40vn's much greater overall output and useful hotspot size really outclass it. The K40Mvn also gets hot pretty quickly.

The stock TN40's greater throw is more apparent, but still it's not much greater than the TN40vn Spec 5. It may be the better performer at distances greater than 150-200 yards, but the larger hotspot of the HD vn version still provides useful illumination over a larger area at those distances.

I intend to return the light for replacement of the 6000K XHP35s with 5000K ones I originally requested. May chose to opt for 2 HI and 2 HD.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your reviews.. for the max throw, spec 4 is the one to get... spec 3 for the max flood and lumen.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out on a 6th floor beachfront balcony in Daytona Beach playing with my TN40vn. The waves are about 300 yards away.

5a92f8fe48620126d2ffb9acea965a95.jpg

85aa2785d1db73492f8a96f3619f5b5a.jpg

Last edited:

Theodore41

Enlightened
My Turkey Day sale TN40vn arrived this am. It's Spec 5: XHP35 HD 6000K; 10,000 Lumen, 325K Lux. (although I ordered 5000K). It's my first light with a VN driver. My rough guess is that it appears to be set at about 5/40/80/100. I already owned a stock TN40 NW, which is great except for the relatively narrow center spot. Vinh's Thanksgiving Day sale provided a nice opportunity to see what a TN40 with HD XHP35s would do.

This TN40vn light with 4 – XHP35 HDs is not a flooder, but still puts out a wall of light and has the beam profile I prefer: larger center bright area with no discernable hotspot edge at closer distances (25yds). It's much like an old school incan type beam – a smooth floody thrower. But of course with a crapload more lumens and lux.

Tonight I was able to compare it with my stock TN40 NW and Acebeam K40Mvn (dedomed MTG2). Each of these appeared to out throw the TN40vn (Spec 5), but not by much and the different light temps may also play a little role in apparent throw. The K40Mvn's greater throw is barely noticeable. The TN40vn's much greater overall output and useful hotspot size really outclass it. The K40Mvn also gets hot pretty quickly.

The stock TN40's greater throw is more apparent, but still it's not much greater than the TN40vn Spec 5. It may be the better performer at distances greater than 150-200 yards, but the larger hotspot of the HD vn version still provides useful illumination over a larger area at those distances.

I intend to return the light for replacement of the 6000K XHP35s with 5000K ones I originally requested. May chose to opt for 2 HI and 2 HD.
As I see that you have the TN40,I ask what type of batteries you use for this,flat top or button top as I have ordered yesterday one CW.Also,what is better for this light,the use of GAs,or 30Qs?

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I see that you have the TN40,I ask what type of batteries you use for this,flat top or button top as I have ordered yesterday one CW.Also,what is better for this light,the use of GAs,or 30Qs?
I'm using Sony VTC6.
They are expensive, but so was my Spec 4 version of the flashlight.

I do run Samsung 30Q's in other lights. I think the performance difference is very small and 30Q's are a bargain.

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using Sony VTC6.
They are expensive, but so was my Spec 4 version of the flashlight.

I do run Samsung 30Q's in other lights. I think the performance difference is very small and 30Q's are a bargain.

Dammit! I run GAs in mine. The stupid thing is, I can't tell between GA and VTC6 (or 30Qs) because I don't have a good enough camera and I can't tell the difference after the 10 or more seconds it takes for me to take out and reload batteries. I can't afford a second TN40VN (especially with the X65vn in my scope).

It also doesn't help that the TN40vn is currently the furthest throwing light in my collection.

Anyhow, Theodore. GA's work fine. If you already have GAs, USE THEM!! Believe me GAs aint no slouch. If you are looking to order fresh batteries for your TN40vn, then choose VTC6s or 30Qs as you are GUARANTEED performance.