Top Strap Setup for Zebralight?

abarnhart

Newly Enlightened
Still searching for the 'perfect' running headlamp. And, one of my picky points is that it has to have the option of a top/upper strap for the headlamp. Has anyone setup a Zebralight to run with one?

Shorty66

Enlightened
A top strap would be pretty much useless on a Zebralight. Their headlamps are to lightweight to benefit from topstraps.

It should be quite easy to add a topstrap to the standard headband though.

moonfish

Newly Enlightened
I'll take it you don't have an h60? Mine wobbles all over the place when I walk.

gooseman

Newly Enlightened
I do a lot of trail running and use a H60 on a modified mount as a belt-light. It was too unstable to use as a headlamp while running.

But a couple of factors conspire to make the out-of-the-box zebralight setup wobbly.

1) the silicon mount gives too much around the slots
2) the one inch webbing torques pretty easily
3) the center of gravity is not optimal for stability. the silicon mount has an arc shaped to it.
4) the 'contact patch' against your head is pretty small

Also, I find that my Zebralights rotate too easily and I'm always having to reset that or offset them so that one loop goes over a thicker part of the body.

I'd really like to see something with a top-strap.

Also nice would be a mount which can attach to 1.5 inch webbing (this is a very popular size for all kind of outdoor backpacking things).

The lights are works of art, but the silicon mounts are a weak part of the design.

Last edited:

diff_lock2

Newly Enlightened
I put my H60 in the black mount that came with my SC50 and it is very tight, I had to put some lube so I could rotate the light and eventually get it off. But for runners I think at the waist it would be less of a hassle.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah,
I might add some shoe goo to the mount on my H31 since
it seems too loose for mtn bike riding. havnt tried it yet.
Ive added shoe goo to the straps on my two fish bike mounts
and seen quite an improvement. not sure if it will stick to the silicone
rubber on the zebra tho..
ill post back with a new thread if it works.:sssh:

Shorty66

Enlightened
You are right, my comment was on all ZL except the H60.
I already postet a mod of the "silly"cone holder which makes the light a lot less bouncy but its still to loose for running. A top strap would be good for that light.

But if i where to buy a light for running id just take the h501 which has no problems with bouncing around

apeironian

Newly Enlightened
Hi y'all - been reading the forum for a while, but this is my first post. I'm a Peace Corps volunteer in west Africa at the moment, and CPF helped me choose a ZL H51 and a Fenix LD20 R4 - couldn't be happier with both of them - thanks folks! Living in a thatch roof mud hut in the bush gives me a lot of opportunity to use them too, which is highly satisfying. I have solar power and internet (weird, right?), but in general the village is a very dark place at night.

Anyway, I want to run with the H51, and the stock band/silicon doohickey isn't doing it for me. I scavanged the top strap from the old Princeton Tec headlamp the ZL replaced, and it happened to fit perfectly. The sewn loop on one end of the band was just big enough to slip over the end of the H51, and the width of the strap fits exactly between the two silicon loops. The fit of the strap loop and the silicon holder together is pretty tight, eliminating accidental rotation, but allowing intentional rotation with a little effort. I cut the sewn loop on the other end of the strap, and threaded it through the buckle originally used for tightening the top strap.

The setup is super solid, and makes this headlamp as directionally stable as any other headlamp I've used. I haven't run with it yet, but I jumped around a bit and it seems very effective. I hope to run with it tonight, though most of the trails here are rivers now during the rainy season - maybe I'll get to test the waterproofness too :sssh:.

Pics here

Take it easy!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
good idea thanks!

Ive used my H51 DH mountain biking and it was ok on my
full face helmet as it is stretched super tight and get extra stability
from the visor being above it. I might consider adding a top strap
if I eventually add another H31 or H61 (if they make it) to the
same strap. Ive got a buncha old webbing around from back packs etc.

Latest posts