Toyota negative switched H4 headlight harness with relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
I've been looking at this forum trying to find what kind of relay kit other Toyota owners are using. (If this has been gone over before, sorry for being redundant.) I've e-mailed D. Stern and he said that he doesn't have a schematic of how to wire up a kit for a Toyota and does not have parts available at this time. So, where have you gone to get the parts? (The highbeam indicator needs to work with this kit.) I also do not want to cut the factory wiring!

Thanks for the info.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
You've got options. You can take a gamble on the harnesses available all over the internet, made in a particular country known for such smash hits as toxic toothpaste, lead-painted kids' toys, phony safety approval labels on fire-prone household appliances, fake pharmaceuticals, and deadly pet food. If you do it this way, give yourself a fighting chance of reasonable safety and durability by replacing the no-name relays with name-brand ones. Or you can build up your own relay harness with parts sourced locally (relays are easy, heavy-duty sockets and plugs are harder) or a parts kit from Stern or another source. Toyotas use a unique (stock) headlamp circuit that's both ground-switched and peculiarly configured; if you put together your new circuit per Stern's diagrams (which are for non-ground-switched vehicles) it won't work right. Put it together as illustrated in this post and it'll work fine, including the high beam indicator on the dash.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sortof in the same boat, but I haven't been in contact with Daniel Stern since late April, and asked him about relay kits back then (but got no reply). We'd exchanged mail earlier, but he was busy and traveling at the time.

My Previa really needs relays, and uses a ground-switched system and the 9003/HB2/H4 bulbs as well. I want to be sure the high beam indicator works and all, myself. I might be able to find some Bosch relays locally, and see if I can just muddle through the procedure. It can't be THAT hard... can it?

If nothing else, I can just route new heavy gauge wire to the feed side of the bulb to at least eliminate the loss on that.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've got options.
--SNIP--

Only genuine Bosch parts for me!

Thanks for finding that post... I've saved the .JPG locally in case that picture is ever moved. I'm having a little trouble discerning the markings over the "low filament" box. Looks like "10A", and then below there are what look like "30"s. Maybe it's in the original post (haven't looked yet).

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I'm sortof in the same boat, but I haven't been in contact with Daniel Stern since late April, and asked him about relay kits back then (but got no reply). We'd exchanged mail earlier, but he was busy and traveling at the time.

Try giving him another shout; I just exchanged emails with him the other day (got pointers to data for that "E-codes-are-better-than-DOTs/no-they're-not" thread) and his reply was pretty quick.

My Previa really needs relays, and uses a ground-switched system and the 9003/HB2/H4 bulbs as well. I want to be sure the high beam indicator works and all, myself. I might be able to find some Bosch relays locally, and see if I can just muddle through the procedure. It can't be THAT hard... can it?

As long as you don't let the magic smoke out of the wires, you'll be fine!
nana.gif

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to do that (although with one of my many cats in the 'hospital' right now, it may be some time before I can afford to make a purchase).

(got pointers to data for that "E-codes-are-better-than-DOTs/no-they're-not" thread)
One of the best smackdowns ever, if you're referring to the one which prompted my "call the court clerk" response...

As long as you don't let the magic smoke out of the wires, you'll be fine!

For as magic as the smoke is, it sure doesn't smell very good!

Oh, and you've got a PM you might get a kick out of...

Qship1996

Enlightened
The guys at Susquehanna Motorsports can custom make you one of the absolute highest quality headlamp harnesses on the planet for reasonable costs- high quality parts, thick wire, and made to order- right here in the USA!!! www.rallylights.com is their website.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
That's true, really nice wiring harnesses out of Susquehanna, but last time I checked they had a "no Toyotas!" policy. Maybe that's changed? Not sure.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
The guys at Susquehanna Motorsports can custom make you one of the absolute highest quality headlamp harnesses on the planet for reasonable costs- high quality parts, thick wire, and made to order- right here in the USA!!! www.rallylights.com is their website.

I've looked at there product; seems to be well made. Unfortunatly, it doesn't look like it's Toyota compatible.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
You've got options. You can take a gamble on the harnesses available all over the internet, made in a particular country known for such smash hits as toxic toothpaste, lead-painted kids' toys, phony safety approval labels on fire-prone household appliances, fake pharmaceuticals, and deadly pet food. If you do it this way, give yourself a fighting chance of reasonable safety and durability by replacing the no-name relays with name-brand ones. Or you can build up your own relay harness with parts sourced locally (relays are easy, heavy-duty sockets and plugs are harder) or a parts kit from Stern or another source. Toyotas use a unique (stock) headlamp circuit that's both ground-switched and peculiarly configured; if you put together your new circuit per Stern's diagrams (which are for non-ground-switched vehicles) it won't work right. Put it together as illustrated in this post and it'll work fine, including the high beam indicator on the dash.

No Chinese junk or HIDeous for me.:shakehead

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every order I've received from Susquehanna has been screwed up in some fashion, and getting ahold of them to correct said screw up is like getting blood from a turnip. As far as I can tell no one answers the phone or their email. The last order I just dealt with it, didn't even bother calling. They will not get another opportunity to screw up another order from me.

The one order that Stern screwed up, one phone call and the problem was corrected immediately.

If Stern has the item I buy from him, extra cost be damned. I know Stern will take care of me.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Stern has the item I buy from him, extra cost be damned. I know Stern will take care of me.

I wish more people thought like you.

From the grocery store where there's a kid helping you with groceries, to a hobby shop where the people behind the counter understand the technology, true service is a joy to behold.

Back to technical stuff, I'm pretty sure Toyota's not the only company to use a ground-switched system, so finding compatible stuff shouldn't be THAT hard.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
True, most Japanese vehicles have used ground-switched headlamp circuits for many years, and an increasing number of American vehicles do as well. But take a look at a Toyota's headlamp wiring diagram if you get the chance. Compared to just about any other make, it's as though Toyota's circuit was designed by an EE from another planet!

NightKids

Enlightened
Try talking to Daniel Stern about Fatboy bulbs & watch his negativity come out on a product he has no experience with...

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Try talking to Daniel Stern about Fatboy bulbs & watch his negativity come out on a product he has no experience with...

What'd he say? There's plenty to be negative about regarding the IPF Fatboy bulb; it's essentially a scam. And how do you know what experience he does or doesn't have with it?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
What'd he say? There's plenty to be negative about regarding the IPF Fatboy bulb; it's essentially a scam. And how do you know what experience he does or doesn't have with it?

I imagine one of the things he'd say is that the larger envelope hurts the efficiency of the halogen cycle. It doesn't take much experience with that bulb to understand that. That's just known to people who understand the halogen cycle.

Their "super clear" bulbs are overwattage, the others seem to be overwattage and have nasty blue tint to them. Junk!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I imagine one of the things he'd say is that the larger envelope hurts the efficiency of the halogen cycle. It doesn't take much experience with that bulb to understand that. That's just known to people who understand the halogen cycle.
Their "super clear" bulbs are overwattage, the others seem to be overwattage and have nasty blue tint to them. Junk!

Hey, lookit! This thread's gone from negative ground to grounds for negativity in just a few short hours!
buttrock.gif

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG, I'm a cation!

Are you sure?

Yeah, I'm positive!

I won't point fingers at who started the negativity... Well, not directly at him, anyway :)

Popularity of those Fatboy bulbs and tinted bulbs in general always helps demonstrate how poor the eye/brain are so poor at gauging their own performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.