Trying to design Switchback LED turn signals- Please Help!

lxpeery

Newly Enlightened
Hey all! I've been reading this forum for a while now, and it has been immensely helpful. I have a question for you LED geniuses out there.

I am trying to design Switchback LED turn signals / parking lights for my car. I understand the basics of LED setups, but this is way out of my league. My experience is pretty much limited to LEDs and Resistors. Once you start getting into power regulators and capacitors, I get lost.

As it sits, the turn signals and parking lights are both powered by single halogen bulbs. When the headlights or parking lights are on and the turn signal is hit, the bulb pulses. I would like to have two separate... You know what? Rather than try like crazy to describe this, I'll just give a video of a guy who's much smarter than me.

That is what I am trying to accomplish. Based on the forum that he logs his progress in (http://mx5cаrt…&t=51213), I need to design a module to dim the white lights while the turn signals are on. As for the actual LEDs, he is using power regulators, which I am completely unfamiliar with.

I'm sorry for the complete lack of knowledge on my part, but any help would be greatly appreciated. An explanation of the components that he uses would be great, though I know that I can find that info if I look hard enough. A diagram for the switchback module would be even better, but I know that's a lot to ask. So...yeah. Just tell me what you can.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I'm approving this thread starter, even with a link. Am sending it to
Automotive, Motor cycles Included forum. Not sure what you are doing is illegal, so well let the moderator in that thread decide.

Bill

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Before it gets quagmired in legalities, a Q to the knowledgeable; what's the legality of additional signals rather than replacements? Just suggesting it at the start in case it gets around any arguments against; if legalities say you can't replace with DIY, can you supplement?

(obviously differs country to country etc)

lxpeery

Newly Enlightened
In the state of Virginia, there is no law against replacing OEM vehicle lighting. This would do nothing but increase the visibility of my car, so it would be in no way unsafe. As for additional signals, again; there is no law against increasing the visibility of your vehicle. If there is, I have never been questioned about it by inspection stations or police.

So now the legality arguments are out of the way, how can I proceed with accomplishing this effect?

Thanks

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
In the state of Virginia, there is no law against replacing OEM vehicle lighting

...as long as the replacement equipment meets the legal requirements, which homemade lights basically cannot.

This would do nothing but increase the visibility of my car,

Subjective assessments like this don't cut it. Even if we have the best of intentions, modifications to a vehicle's lighting system do not improve safety or "increase visibility" just because we want to think they do.

so it would be in no way unsafe.

That is not a correct statement -- for starters, your posts in this thread alone have demonstrated you have basically no knowledge about car lights and the requirements they have to meet. That in itself is OK; ignorance is not a crime, but it is not OK to assume that the facts disappear or don't matter just because you aren't aware of them.

As for additional signals, again; there is no law against increasing the visibility of your vehicle.

Actually, state and Federal regulations contain a lot of restrictions on what lighting equipment may and may not be installed on a vehicle, and how the lights on a vehicle may, must, and may not work (in every sense of the word "work" -- how much light they put out through a range of defined angles, what color, when, steady or flashing, etc) as well as durability aspects such as vibration resistance, water and dirt resistance, etc.

If there is, I have never been questioned about it by inspection stations or police.

People get away with speeding, stealing cars, robbing stores and burglarizing houses...that doesn't make those things legal!

So now the legality arguments are out of the way

Sorry, the legal issues are real and they don't go away simply because you aren't aware of them, don't understand them, don't agree with them or don't want to hear about them. Homemade lights are not safe and not legal. Rule 11 of this board prohibits advocating illegal or dangerous activity. You will need to stop now.

There is a way to have white parking lights and amber turn signals on your car using factory parts and without making any unsafe modifications, but if you think those functions are presently handled by a single "halogen bulb", you have a very long way to go before you have anything like enough of a grasp on your car's lighting system to change it without ruining its safety performance. Same goes for the guy whose video you posted -- those flashing amber lights he put on his car aren't even close to being adequate (or safe, or legal) turn signals. To someone who does know the facts, they clearly illustrate why car lights need to meet objective safety performance standards, not some guy on the internet's subjective "Yup, I like 'em and I think they're visible!" opinion.

Your car's lights are life safety equipment. They are not fashion accessories or toys. They need to work properly (according to the objective standards) to do their job. Leave them alone.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
in the video shown it is plainly obvious the turn signals have very muted conspicuity

You are worried about the inconspicuous of the flashers ..... you won't see them because you were blinded by what looks like illegal HIDS (notice how long they took to warm up?).

Not that I would ever suggest sitting behind morons like this with your high beams at night because that would just be plain wrong!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
You are worried about the inconspicuous of the flashers ..... you won't see them because you were blinded by what looks like illegal HIDS (notice how long they took to warm up?).

Yup, that's an "HID kit" in a pair of H4 halogen headlamps...another failure by this guy who's allegedly "much smarter" than the original poster in this thread.

Not that I would ever suggest sitting behind morons like this with your high beams at night because that would just be plain wrong!

If you do, though, you'd better hope whoever's in front of you doesn't have one of these; escalating a war of dangerous lights is not a good idea (I know you know this; I'm just saying it out loud for those who might not "get" that you're being sarcastic):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W4cFCtK4fw&hd=1