Twilight to dusk jogger here, anyone else carry a light in hand? Why do people stare?

joelbnyc

Enlightened
When I'm running out in daylight, I usually stick a small light in my pocket. When it is dark or darkness is approaching, I run while holding my "big gun" light, complete with lanyard so I don't drop the thing.

One such time, this happened;

Nasty crash. Can't help but notice the NYPD, good to see another NYC flashaholic.

Even in a well-lit metro, I use my edc lights every day- dark unknown coffee shop bathrooms to find the switch, night walking thru dimly lit area's, not to mention possible emergencies. I don't usu jog at night, but i do carry my light keychain (just keys, sak classic, quantum d2 or ultra-small 1xaaa). I even keep it in my pajama pocket, and of course there's a light on my bedside table while sleeping...

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll carry what I feel most conformable with. The XT11's head peaks out enough from behind the palm - it obviously should look like a flashlight.

The dual switch tail button however 'might' look like some kind of ballistic apparatus to someone uninformed. Some of these lights really do not look like they're off the shelf.

BTW: There's actually several CFP members from the Flushing area. LOL. Small world.

You rocking a quad emitter dropin for your C2? :D

I find lights of such size the perfect to run around with. No need to fumble with them in your hand. Just point the business end at targets and light them up.

And, no, I got vinh's copper-mounted XM-L2 running at 4.2A. As much as I like high lumens, I also want something that can run on primaries without blowing up... Just in case.

Nasty crash. Can't help but notice the NYPD, good to see another NYC flashaholic.

Nah. It wasn't even a crash. The thing just spontaneously combusted on the road. No one got hurt, fortunately.

We need a CPF NYC get-together. I'd love to travel to milky's Photonfest, but I'm too lazy to drive all the way to NJ.

ico

Enlightened
Twilight to dusk jogger here, anyone else carry a light in hand? Why do people

I might just carry a different light altogether. Too much trouble getting that ziptie on.

I think I look like a dork. I doubt that I'd get any looks except for the implement in my hand.

k3289z.jpg

:D :D

Don't tell me you're that RPG(ridiculously photogenic guy)? Haha
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ridiculously-photogenic-guy-zeddie-little

Roger999

Enlightened
Re: Twilight to dusk jogger here, anyone else carry a light in hand? Why do people

I used to run with my C2 on in a cigar grip so I don't get run over by people reversing out of their driveways. Never got any strange looks.

JJohn

Enlightened
Re: Twilight to dusk jogger here, anyone else carry a light in hand? Why do people

Unless you are going long, try a smaller light. I run with a DQG III for the short 3-4 milers. It also fits nicely in running shorts key pockets. It is the only light I don't mind putting in these pockets. The Ti version is super small and light.

For longer runs, 5-6 miles, or worse trails I use Thrunite T10 modded by the One-Stop-Throw-Shop. Any longer than six miles, a headlamp is probably your best option. Also, if you have ever run long with something as large as the smaller 123 cell lights clipped onto running shorts, you will start looking for smaller lights.

I don't think anyone can see the light in my hand unless it is on.

Oh, a short lanyard with a trit bead is a good idea to prevent lost lights.

Last edited:

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened

Frankly, I don't understand what the big deal is... If people want to look, let'm "look."

Back in the 90s, I worked in Brooklyn, and I had to walk several blocks down DeKalb Ave. towards Bedford Ave. (Ever heard of "Bed-Sty"?)

It was broad daylight, but people were being "done" every day. So, I carried an axe. I mean a real, yours truly, Paul Bunyan, axe. (But, I put a small brown paper bag over the blade.)

People looked, and some even talked trash (called me: "The Axeman"), but I never had any trouble.

No one in authority ever questioned me, either. If they had, I could demonstrate that the axe was a necessary tool which I needed on a daily basis to accomplish my job.

Anyway, all I am saying is... Let'm look. Who cares what other people think. (Just be sure to move slowly, and be very polite if confronted by authority. Otherwise, you could get hurt.)

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twilight to dusk jogger here, anyone else carry a light in hand? Why do people

I find most people in the city try not to look at a person. It must be that primal aggression thing. They just don't want trouble. It would be unusual for a lot of people to look at what you are carrying jogging in the park.
I would have to strobe the people who were staring. If you decide to strobe the cops, run faster. 😁

T45

Enlightened

I find most people in the city try not to look at a person. It must be that primal aggression thing. They just don't want trouble. It would be unusual for a lot of people to look at what you are carrying jogging in the park.
I would have to strobe the people who were staring. If you decide to strobe the cops, run faster. :nana:

I agree, Urban settings would probably have more people trying to determine what that small black object in your hand is, ie. Gun or something else dangerous. As for street lights, they tend to throw light down in a large circle, but between street lights is always a dark spot. After dark and outside is a proper time to have a light on your person. I almost walked onto a skunk that was in the middle of the sidewalk walk one night! :sick2:

TheVat26

Enlightened

You could always go with the Surefire wristlight. Then you might look like buzz light year or the guy from cowboys and Indians trying to light something up.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

May be they think it's a baton and wondering who you're gonna hand it off to?

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

I find in general most people are made uncomfortable by people doing things other than the "ordinary". They may see your flashlight and not understand what it is, then decide it might be some sort of weapon. They may see your flashlight and recognize it as a flashlight, and still feel uncomfortable because it's not ordinary and they don't know what you plan to do with it.

My only thoughts would be, either continue to carry the light and just ignore the stares, or use a different light that can be clipped to your person inconspicuously or completely contained within your closed hand. When I run, I clip my V11R to my shorts--it's lightweight enough that it doesn't bounce around or make me uncomfortable, small enough that it's not noticed, and bright enough to hand most situations that might occur.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I decided to carry the XT11 as it is but I now just set it to low. If the
ek3ne0.jpg
think it's
a problem they can call the cavalry and hopefully when they arrive they'll quickly see that I'm
just one of the border collies :D

i3fbf6.jpg

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

:ohgeez: You know, because of you I'm going to have to return that tennis bracelet Poppy sent me. That box of chocolates from TEEJ. :D :D

Flowers from Vinh?

BTW I should make it clear to the forum that I'M JUST JOKING. :D

BillSWPA

Enlightened

I do not know of anyplace where it is illegal to carry a flashlight. If someone calls the police, I imagine the duration of the stop would last no more than the few seconds it would take to verify that it is a flashlight, and you will be on your way.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to run with my C2 on in a cigar grip so I don't get run over by people reversing out of their driveways. Never got any strange looks.

I actually tried running in place with the C2 in cigar grip and one of the quads. The output is all forward and doesn't really bob too much. It actually feels pretty natural.

I might stick with this once I get my 1,700 lumen quad XP-G2. :D

Latest posts