Two HK cheapies, both only work when I unscrew end cap -- fix?

JeffOYB

Newly Enlightened
My latest HK DX cheapies both cut off when I'm using them. To get them to go back on I have to unscrew the end cap a bit. In fact, sometimes they won't even turn on at all until I unscrew the end cap a bit. What's happening? Is there a standard fix for this? I've tried cleaning the threads. Maybe I should steelwool em and grease em somehow? I've read about weird kinds of grease/lube. Any fix for a normal mortal with a typical workbench is appreciated! Thanks, JP

cyclesport

Enlightened
Yeah...don't buy DX quality lights in the first place...kidding! (kinda...not really). Okay, so much for the scolding. Check out the following useful troubleshooting tips...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?227518-LED-Troubleshooting-guide-(budget-lights)

Another cheap easy trick I've found that sometimes works w/cheap budget lights is to use a very small amount of dialectric grease (automotive kind at auto parts stores used on sensor contacts, plugs, etc....PM me for a brand name if needed) at the points of contact with the battery. Some will disagree, but I've used this on a number of cheap lights in this way and it works surprisingly well in many cases. Good luck.

JeffOYB

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I was worried that a Troubleshoot link/thread would get me in over my head but that link was very simple so I will try out what it suggests. Fingers crossed! My 3rd DX lite has never let me down! I couldn't be in the "bright lights" game if it weren't for DX.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something might be getting "crushed". You might be able to screw the tail cap retaining ring in more to move the spring further away (if that's the issue).

If it's at the other end you might be able to unscrew the LED pill out at bit. Again, these are solutions if something is physically being pushed too close together.

If it's just a electrical connectivity problem then it might just be a matter of cleaning the contacting areas (threads or whatever).

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with this comment. Depending on the battery you are using it might be too long.
Something might be getting "crushed". You might be able to screw the tail cap retaining ring in more to move the spring further away (if that's the issue).

If it's at the other end you might be able to unscrew the LED pill out at bit. Again, these are solutions if something is physically being pushed too close together.

If it's just a electrical connectivity problem then it might just be a matter of cleaning the contacting areas (threads or whatever).

jk037

Newly Enlightened
Check that the switch is properly screwed into the tailcap, they can do some odd things if they're not fully secured. :)

DanglerB

Newly Enlightened
My last $3 light does about the same thing, goes dim, and seemed to me the issue was too much grease around the Oring and threads. Wiping most of it off and cleaning the area where the battery makes contact with the pill seemed to help a lot, but not totally cure. When I get time I plan to repeat the process.