Ultra long running lights

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
when I saw your specs I thought there is one light that fits like a glove, what FrogsInWinter mentioned, the Streamlight ProPoly 3xC battery 10xLED light.

It is advertised to run for 336 hrs by the manufacturer, should get about 43 lumens of output out from regular alkaline batteries. That is about double what the inova X5 would produce, and you don't need CR123A's.

Also rugged, and relatively light because of the polymer rather than the metal casing.

Skibane

Enlightened
I've converted several dozen cheap incandescent flashlights to use a white LED made by Lumex (part no. SLX-LX5093UWC/C) that will operate for several hundred hours on 2 AA alkaline cells. This 5MM LED is a plug-in replacement for flashlights originally equipped with a bi-pin incandescent bulb - just unplug the bulb and replace it with the LED (making sure to observe proper LED polarity), or it can be soldered into a PR-style incandescent bulb base. It typically draws 10 to 20 mA at 3.0 volts, so no driver circuitry or dropping resistor is needed.

Price is about 90 cents apiece, from Digi-Key.

r0b0r

Enlightened
L1D-CE has 25hrs of output on Low (advertised). Thats from one AA (probably NiMH2500mAh AA, but in your case an L91 lithium would be a better bet for longer storage time and runtime )

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak is doing runtimes on the l2d ce on low... so far it's almost 4 days continuous :) I'm sure he'll report when it's done.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
With love from chevrofreak....
Fenix%20L2D%20CE%20-%20low.png

:)

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about getting a bunch of normal 2AA mag lights, and an order of chinese 40k 5mm leds, and putting them together? A LED drawing 20ma runs for like 200 hours on 2 2200 ma AA cells. The con is they are not bright.

Another Idea is the ArcAAA. They run around 8 hours on a AAA cell dont they? That and 5 extra batteries would take up less space then a 2AA maglight.

billgr

Newly Enlightened
the all time champ is the Eternal light....30 days on low!!

thats not a misprint: 24hrs a day for 30 days.

it really isn't suited for your needs, but i just had to get it in this thread.

i have 1 in my BOB.

Skibane

Enlightened
thesurefire said:
how about getting a bunch of normal 2AA mag lights, and an order of chinese 40k 5mm leds, and putting them together? A LED drawing 20ma runs for like 200 hours on 2 2200 ma AA cells.

None of the Chinese 5mm LEDs are specified for operation at voltages low enough to be usable with 2 cells.

Nonetheless, I took a gamble and tried several different types, hoping that the performence would be better than the specs implied. Unfortunately, the results were disappointing - Virtually no light output until I increased the drive to around 3.5 volts (much too high to operate directly from 2 AA cells).

That's why I recommended the Lumex part number in my earlier post - This LED is specified for operation at 3 volts, and actually delivers decent brightness at that low a voltage - all the while consuming less than 20 mA. It truly is an exceptional LED.

I bought a bag of 100 of them from Digi-Key for about 60 cents apiece, and have been a flashlight-converting fool ever since! :D

zgurl

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend Fenix L1T (or L2T) + primary lithium + spare batteries, sothat when those emergency sets are to be used the batteries will still be full :)

paulr

Flashaholic
The all time champ is the betalight ;)

Seriously just get some cheap 3aa 3-led lights, about 5 dollars each at the local discount stores, they should run 30+ hours with diminishing output. Expensive lights are nice if you're a connoisseur but you're after functionality with other important items competing for funds, cheaper lights are probably a more practical choice.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Medicjim, let us know the regulations if any of what you can have. Such as needing safety-rated lights or not.

A Brightstar Responder coupled with a Dorcy/Sears PR-based upgrade LED might fit the role.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings Jim, this is Kostas (Orion) from the SH forum.

I have been considering your query since the time you posted it in SH, especially a few days ago since I was about to donate some flashlights to the local Red Cross team.

But since the time of your first post, and only in a few months time things have changed. Now there is the MagLED either in flashlight or kit retrofit form.

For that many hours and at your budget it is about as good as you can get.

There are some complications though. The Maglite LED modules do not dissipate heat that well, so soon enough a temperature controlling resistor kicks in and limits current draw and output. But it stays this way and if you are happy with the final level you are GTG.

Also. Do not think that you can purchase Maglite LED upgrades and place them in other lights like the GI Military. Trust me I know. The module is thicker than the PR lamp it replaces and not many lights will accept it. Let alone that usually holders are plastic.

Other options? Terralux and Diamond 3W Led upgrades. On the Terralux I do not know, but I just this morning tested my DiamondLED for output drop-off. After 10 minutes of continuous on and up to an hour when I stopped it, light had dropped/stabilized at about 65% of the original (according to my camera spot meter). Spill remained of the same luminosity. BTW according to reports MagLEDs drop-off more than that.

See these links:
MagLED review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm
In-depth MagLED review http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119665
Terralux: http://www.terralux.biz/products/index.php
DiamondLED: http://www.diamond-led.com (these can be found for sale as low as $15)
Other shopping options http://www.batteryjunction.com - http://www.lighthound.com
For some beamshots of mine: http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteetharticles/flashlightbeamshots.msnw

Other Options no2. Go down to a 1W module. Terralux has the TLE-1 module. Seems compatible with any 2 cell lights. So you can retrofit plastic and cheaper hosts.

Other Options no3. The AngleLux conversion. Good work, but two downsides. It carries the host drawback of sipping water from the switch module. But I guess you have used one before and you know. And it does away with the filter option since there must be more room for the new reflector.
On the upside, it now hosts the new gen of LEDs, the Cree XR-Es and it is generously heatsinked.

Other Options no4. Go with the Terralux K2 or SSC P4 LED upgrades. The latter will be soon available from the batteryjuction site.

The big downside with all LEDs is the quality of their light. The White/bluish hue does not travel far outdoors and is contaminated by the surrounding city lights. But I guess you have heard/know about it. But for your runtime requirement there is no other way.

On battery selection. You are better of with D-cells. See why

3xC - 8350 mAh x 4.5 volts = 37.5 Wh
2xD - 18000 mAh x 3 volts = 54 Wh

In comparison 3 x CR123 - 1300 to 1550 mAh x 9 volts = …

Now I feel your real problem is you budget. Had you more bucks per light you could buy Surefire LEDs, especially the upcoming ones, that will fill your runtime requirement on low while having the high option available on demand.

How about this. Do I remember correct that you have been using Streamlight up to now? There are retrofits/upgrades for them too.
So you can upgrade them with a portion of your budget, buy 2D MagLEDs for the rest of the crew, and if some loose money is available buy a few Surefire G2s.
And do encourage your personnel to bring their own flashlight as a backup. Hope they soon enough become unrecoverable flashacholics and bright their high-end light to work!

Best of luck, kostas