Underground Mining Flashlight

gthanson

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks! I work in a hard rock underground mine in Tennessee, and I'm looking for a flashlight for underground tours/inspections. It needs to be :

- bright, preferably LED. Most of the time I'll be working in absolute darkness, half a mile underground.
- neutral/white color, so I can see the geology correctly
- tough/waterproof, for when I inevitably drop it or bang it into things
- wide spread and/or adjustable; I need to inspect and view large openings underground, taking in as much as possible at once
- Charging via USB-C, like everything else I've got
- Some sorta holster/clip/beltloop thing, so I can carry it around on my belt or vest all day during a tour

Quality gear pays for itself, so I'm not overly concerned about the cost. I'm just not familiar with the different brands available, and the differences between quality manufacturers and cheap amazon knockoffs. I appreciate any advice!

Bonus points if someone can recommend me a caplamp that charges via USB-C and uses a MSA hardhat mounting system!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Look for intrinsically safe lights first and foremost. Realizing there are going to be air quality checks it should still be a foremost consideration. Methane is a constant issue that should never be taken lightly.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I used to work for a coal company, and all lighting had to meet certain standards so that it is sealed tightly enough to not ignite explosive gases like methane.

The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) was/is the agency that would know. It's likely the same agency for rock mining, but you will have to check on what lighting is certified by the appropriate gov't agency.

A typical "off the shelf" flashlight may not be legal. The certified hard hat mounted light may work, but I could see where a hand held light may be desirable for your needs. Either way, it has to be MSHA approved, so that you don't blow the place up.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know anything about holes in the ground (on that scale), but when I enter 'MSHA' in the search bar at Streamlight, I get a few results. They make solid kit for professionals. If you see "Color-Rite' noted, I think that denotes higher CRI (color rendering index), and lower CT (color temperature).