Underwater Kenetics?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
How's everybody's experience with this brand? I have a pair of 2AAA pocket lights, thanks to a CPF member and was wondering how the tiny little xenon bulb holds up? My only experience with bulbs that size are minimags, and do I really need to say any more? This seems a little more high-powered as it only has about an hour of runtime off a pair of AAA's.

On an aside, whats the deal with the black reflector in the red led drop-in?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Underwater Kinetics is considered by many CPF'ers, divers, firefighters and other light-type people (including me) to be the Surefire of Dive Lights. I have a few of them (SL6, SL4, Q40, 4AA, 2AAA) and they are some of the best non-metallic lights I have ever used. I have been using them for about 15 years off and on. I have never had a bulb burn out in one. The LA's in UK lights last a VERY long time while putting out quite a respectable amount of light for a long time. One of the dive shops I frequent is owned and operated by Scott Jones, the divemaster who was abandoned along with his diving partner by the diving expedition he was traveling with in Mexico sometime ago and rescued by Steve Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter) while Steve was doing a documentary there. I was talking with Scott and he was telling me that he only sells Underwater Kinetics lights in his shop because he believes the UK lights work the best and are the most reliable that he has found. They will serve you well.

P.S. I don't know what the deal is with the black reflector in the red LED assembly.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got burned on their warranty one time, they wouldn't repair a defective switch, just sent it right back to me and told me to use fresh batteries. Maybe other folks have better experiences with them, but it is too easy for me to spend my money elsewhere. :thumbsdow

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
How's everybody's experience with this brand? I have a pair of 2AAA pocket lights, thanks to a CPF member and was wondering how the tiny little xenon bulb holds up? My only experience with bulbs that size are minimags, and do I really need to say any more? This seems a little more high-powered as it only has about an hour of runtime off a pair of AAA's.

On an aside, whats the deal with the black reflector in the red led
drop-in?

A long time ago when I wanted a good pocket light I got a pelican 2AAA light, they were nice lights, waterproof but the lamp modules burned up about every 5 months on me. They cost me $15 each. I got a UK2AAA at walmart for about $7 a long time ago the lamp module in it still works too. I don't have the red led but got the white eled version it is nice although dim runs for a LONG time. If you have a Kmart Dorcy has a keychain led light for about $4 that the lamp module is almost exactly the same size. I put one in my UK2AAA with some lithium 1.7v batteries and it makes for a nicer beam than the eled module I think.

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened
I have a bunch of their lights and have had no problems with them 2 miniAAA, Dive becon, Light Cannon 100. q40 and probably some others im forgetting

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Underwater Kinetics is one of my favorites, and I have a number of their lights--my first going back about 20 years. Also gave away quite a few. Nice, durable lights. I replaced a mini pocket 2AAA on my keychain, not because the light was broken, but the body had become worn and smooth.

Changed out a few bulbs over the years, but that's minor, considering I have a good number of lights, and I've had most of them for years and years.

About 15 years ago, the contacts inside the body of one of my 4AA lights broke. I don't remember if I sent in the broken body, but I do remember that UKE sent me a whole new light (including a new head and bulb)!

Don.b

Newly Enlightened
I've owned at least three U-K 'lights, over the years, found them reasonably-priced, fairly rugged, and absolutely water-proof.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, sounds like UK is one of the few lights that may hold up as well as my PT Solo has! Glad to hear all the good news about them; might be my go-to light for canoe trips now, since it is a LOT easier to pack/carry than the solo.

m1ruf

Newly Enlightened
Got the mini q40 incan:

pros: - small,cheap, bright, looong runtime, tight spot beam (cuts through smoke, fog,
murky water), waterproof (dive rated), use inexpensiv, readily
available AA batteries, foolproof twist switch, no electronics to break

cons: - no perfectly flat regulated regulation , dimmer output on rechargables (because theres no boost driver), beam maybe too narrow for some applications where a flood-type beam is needed(close up work)

overal: though, foolproof, little incan that is inexpensive to run! No fancy anodizing or electronics, just a simple workhorse that gives you light when you need it! imo Top Notch!

Same goes for the big sibling UK sunlight c8! (except flood type of beam, dual lamp system)