Upgrade for my Fenix LD10?

Peroni1973

Newly Enlightened
Okay folks,

I love EDC'ing a handy but significant flashlight and after a bit of reading around here I am considering upgrading from my LD10 (this could be an expensive pasttime!). I envisage this travelling in my pocket most of the time whilst a more substantial option (and a much smaller option) would remain in my bag.

Whilst they are slightly longer than the LD10, I am currently considering the the Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST R5 or the ThruNite TN12. And despite the higher lumens of the TN12 am leaning a bit more toward the Jet III as I think the spread of output ranges is more appropriate.

I think that the 1 x 18650 platform would work best for me (as I can run the same battery as the Klarus XT10) but will gladly hear about alternatives).

Am I missing giving other solid options sufficient consideration? :huh:

Thanks,

Ben

kreisler

Banned
the LD10 is already a close to perfect EDC, you could even run 14500's in them. once you enter the LiIon stage of cells, there arent eneloops anymore. Eneloops play an important role in EDC's, would i say.

if you just want to upgrade for the heck of it, then yeah any jetbeam, sunawayman, thrunite, eagletac or whatsoever (4Sevens Turbo, Zebralight,..) is an upgrade to the LD10 and beats it and is more desirable than the simplistic LD10.

u got good taste. Jetbeam's are very yummy :)
( to me, s*lly brand "names" such as "thrunite" and "nitecore" are nonames. yes, i discriminate them just for their names. and i also discriminate Zebralights for their funny looking flashlight products. and of the XXXXfire or FireYYYY type of names, i better buy only their rechargeable cell products and charger and avoid their torch clones. )

i consider Jetbeam and Fenix *real* brand names. Premium names with premium quality.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
the LD10 is already a close to perfect EDC, you could even run 14500's in them. once you enter the LiIon stage of cells, there arent eneloops anymore. Eneloops play an important role in EDC's, would i say.
I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to say here.

u got good taste. Jetbeam's are very yummy :)
( to me, s*lly brand "names" such as "thrunite" and "nitecore" are nonames. yes, i discriminate them just for their names. and i also discriminate Zebralights for their funny looking flashlight products. and of the XXXXfire or FireYYYY type of names, i better buy only their rechargeable cell products and charger and avoid their torch clones. )

i consider Jetbeam and Fenix *real* brand names. Premium names with premium quality.
Wow. Personally, I prefer to judge the product by the product. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Peroni1973

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response Kreisler - I have certainly enjoyed carrying my LD10 and it has been incredibly handy. That said, I guess I am an communicating with like-minded folk here are enjoy the search for something even better. Hence the questions...

Good to know that you rate the Jetbeam.

Moshow9, thanks for asking for clarity. There is plenty for me to learn about flashlights. I'm okay with knives and steel options but this is whole new area for me despite the fact that I almost always carry both.

Cheers!

Ben

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned between 50 and 75 lights and I would rate the LD10 near the bottom of the pile. I think you will be very happy with any replacement you buy. I would add a Spark SL6, Zebralight SC600, and Zebralight SC60 to your list. The Zebralight UI is one of the best in the business.

Peroni1973

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the additional suggestions Tre - I just have to get over the unusal looks of the Zebralights!!

Ben

Peroni1973

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendation Tre. I have just ordered an SC600. I look forward to getting my hands on it!

Ben

andurilgc

Newly Enlightened
There are so many options. You are looking at an 18650 light so I presume you are prepared to carry some weight, so long as it is 'good weight' not bad. I've recently ordered a Sunwayman V20C which is along those lines as it has a good UI and included accessories. I'll let you know how that one is to live with

For an EDC, weight and bulk is important to me though. I can carry a Quark Mini AA comfortably on a key chain but the BA10 tied to my garage door opener is quite cumbersome in comparison. You could stick with 1 x AA size and try powering up with 14500's. I've been reading some interesting things about a number of lights in this category such as the Nitecore D11 and Xeno EO3. I guess there is always a risk of burning them out though