Upgraded 2D Maglite for Gypsy

kezzy

Newly Enlightened
Alright, go easy on me. I've confused myself excessively when trying to figure out what will work together and need some guidance. I'm looking to mod out my purple 2D Maglite incandescent to LED and l-ion for a reliable tool for my jeep, Gypsy. I'd like to have ability to have a flood and spot so I was looking at the 325 firefly off lumencraft for the LED replacement, but I'm not set on anything at this point. I'm handy and do all my work on the jeep, but I have never learned to solder and don't have much electrical experience besides hooking things up to my battery terminals. That said a drop in solution would probably be ideal, but I'm open to trying a new skill. :D

I'm in the buy once, cry once camp so come at me with what you would recommend if your budget wasn't a concern.

If you're looking for a buy once and be done solution, I'm planning to sell this "turn key" 3D blue Maglite set that'll run a Malkoff M91T. It'll come with the Malkoff drop in, aluminum Malkoff head adapter, battery adapter, two 21700 cells (paired from new, not even a full discharge of use). The original reflector and bulb will be included. I might have a two bay charger that I can throw in too. Everything but the well-used Maglite was purchased directly from Malkoff. Let's say $215?

IMG_2179.jpeg

IMG_2180.jpeg

The pictured Malkoff MD4 host is for sale too ($90), but not included in the set.

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
You are looking on the lumencraft site - he is an honest and trustworthy seller. I would strongly suggest his 3500 Lumen conversion kit for 2D Maglites. It comes with the emitter, Li-ion 26650 batteries, plastic tube to fit the batteries, and short end spring.

It is mostly flood, but it makes such a huge wall of light that you won't need or care about spot. Sometimes it's hard to do both well. There's a photo on the listing that shows you the beam. It's also programmable for different numbers and percentages of brightness levels. Very versatile.

I've also used some of the various 200 to 300 lumen LED replacements with NiMH rechargeable batteries. They do very well compared to the old incan Mag bulb, but you have to get a glass lens and aluminum reflector or the original plastic ones will melt with the heat from the LED.

I got the kit for one of my 2D Mags before they changed from 5000 to 3500 lumens, and love it. I think every Maglite lover should have at least one of them. Also, no soldering needed.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for a buy once and be done solution, I'm planning to sell this "turn key" 3D blue Maglite set that'll run a Malkoff M91T. It'll come with the Malkoff drop in, aluminum Malkoff head adapter, battery adapter, two 21700 cells (paired from new, not even a full discharge of use). The original reflector and bulb will be included. I might have a two bay charger that I can throw in too. Everything but the well-used Maglite was purchased directly from Malkoff. Let's say $215?

View attachment 54778
View attachment 54779

The pictured Malkoff MD4 host is for sale too ($90), but not included in the set.
It's a shame he stopped making his actual mag drop ins. This thing I don't really see the point. It's a shame to not use that big reflector. Might as well just buy an md3 or md4

Reactions: hsa

kezzy

Newly Enlightened

View attachment 54778
View attachment 54779

Thank you, but I prefer my purple 2D. The size is right for where I want to put it and not block the air hose chuck I installed on the driver's side. The jeep is teal and my accent color is purple so it looks great too!

kezzy

Newly Enlightened
You are looking on the lumencraft site - he is an honest and trustworthy seller. I would strongly suggest his 3500 Lumen conversion kit for 2D Maglites. It comes with the emitter, Li-ion 26650 batteries, plastic tube to fit the batteries, and short end spring.

It is mostly flood, but it makes such a huge wall of light that you won't need or care about spot. Sometimes it's hard to do both well. There's a photo on the listing that shows you the beam. It's also programmable for different numbers and percentages of brightness levels. Very versatile.

I've also used some of the various 200 to 300 lumen LED replacements with NiMH rechargeable batteries. They do very well compared to the old incan Mag bulb, but you have to get a glass lens and aluminum reflector or the original plastic ones will melt with the heat from the LED.

I got the kit for one of my 2D Mags before they changed from 5000 to 3500 lumens, and love it. I think every Maglite lover should have at least one of them. Also, no soldering needed.

Thank you! I'll take a look at that. Much appreciated!

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Lumencraft 800lm Firefly drop-in. Very affordable upgrade you'll be impressed with performance. Get Matt's 2x 26650 adapter. The package is a bomb proof set-up. Add the glass lens, and get a spare lens you won't be sorry.
Purple 2D Rocks :buttrock:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second 3500lm drop in from lumencraft, I have one, great drop in. As others said, forget about flood/spot, it limits you to weak drop ins, and you do not really get neither of them as good as fixed beam of 3500lm drop in, you will not need any adjustments. it is strong enough to reach far and floody enough to work under the hood. You will need li ion rechargeable cells. With any even half decent drop in you'll need them, you wont get much power out of 2 alkaline cells. with 2D you are limited to firefly, which has 1/10 of lumens you get with 3500lm drop in.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It really depends on the planned useage. I'd say the main reason to get away from alkaline cells is their ability to leak when you least expect it and render the light useless unless you can get it cleaned up or caught the leak early.

Nothing wrong with Lumencraft stuff. Malkoff is a good option as well if you don't need to see past a zip code with your flashlight.

kezzy

Newly Enlightened
Any substantial difference between Cree XTE and the Cree XHP50.2 emitters? I believe this is saying there would be 12 Cree XTE or 3 Cree XHP - lower draw on the batteries due to fewer emitters?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is a huge difference, it is like 1.6l civic engine and a hemi v8.
It is impossible to say which combo, 12 xte or 3 xhp ( several exist, xhp 35,50, 70) has less draw, cuz it is all depends how they are wired, and what driver is used. it could be either way depending on design