USB Chargers With Multiple Ports Help

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it is up to 8C cooler QC3 vs QC2 - see below from the slideshow Advancing charging technologies: Qualcomm Quick Charge, by E. Roach (which contains a few more details than their press releases).

euWKE.jpg

marcosg

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I think I beginnig to understand a bit.
One of the newest phone I got for my daughter is a motorola that came with a so called "Turbo Charger Quick-Charger 2.0 25Watts. I has the Quancomm Technology and as far as I understood, this charger applies a fast turbo charge for the first initial 15min when the batterie is completed drained, it then drops the charge to tubo1 when the batterie reaches 50% and keeps applying slower charge untill the batterie is full.
This phone has a 3,000 mAH batterie. Using this Motorala charger, it takes about 1:30 to fully charge the phone. Using a regular Samsung 5V 2.0A chager, it takes about 2:30 min.
Is this there any other advange of this Quancomm 2.0 technology? Isn't it better to charge a battery at the same speed from the beginning (older technology) instead going to three modes (tubo1, Turbo2, Standard)?
Can I use this Quancoom charger for oldert devices that only requires 1.0 or 2.0 Amp.
Honestly, Im leaning more towards a simpler chargers, until I feel more confident with this new method.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Is this there any other advange of this Quancomm 2.0 technology? Isn't it better to charge a battery at the same speed from the beginning (older technology) instead going to three modes (tubo1, Turbo2, Standard)?

The main idea to improve charge speed. As long as the charge circuit is matches to the battery it is no problem using more advanced charging algorithms.
Remember the charging is controlled by circuit in the phone, not by the charger (It is only a power supply).

Can I use this Quancoom charger for oldert devices that only requires 1.0 or 2.0 Amp.

Yes, only devices that knows about QuickCharge can activate the higher power, all other will only see a normal charger.

poguy

Newly Enlightened
And make sure you get a good USB cable. With a very short (10") cable charge current on my tablet is close to 1 amp. With cheap cables it's 300-400 ma depending on the cable. I found a decent 1.5 meter USB cable that charges at 700 ma. It was labeled '2.1 amp cable' but it's good enough.

Next project - USB 3 allows very high current. (My work laptop charges a bike light pack at almost 3 amps.) I am going to try a USB 3 extension cable + the very short cable and see how that works. Of course the USB 3 cable can be another cheap Chinese ripoff. Will know for sure in another 3-4 weeks when it arrives from China.

Come to think of it, we need USB cable reviews just like the reviews for chargers. It doesn't do any good to have the current capacity if the cable won't let it get there.

marcosg

Newly Enlightened
And make sure you get a good USB cable. With a very short (10") cable charge current on my tablet is close to 1 amp. With cheap cables it's 300-400 ma depending on the cable. I found a decent 1.5 meter USB cable that charges at 700 ma. It was labeled '2.1 amp cable' but it's good enough.

Next project - USB 3 allows very high current. (My work laptop charges a bike light pack at almost 3 amps.) I am going to try a USB 3 extension cable + the very short cable and see how that works. Of course the USB 3 cable can be another cheap Chinese ripoff. Will know for sure in another 3-4 weeks when it arrives from China.

Come to think of it, we need USB cable reviews just like the reviews for chargers. It doesn't do any good to have the current capacity if the cable won't let it get there.

Yes, that's another thing that I was going to post on this thread. There are so many cables out there which makes even more difficult than to choose the charger. For the Apple devices it's a little easier than the Micro USB. I Have extras and original Apple cables but the Micro USB i'm not sure if they are good or not (the ones I have). Maybe, the best way would be to buy from Amazon based on the reviews.