USB charging ports, and the covers that protect them

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The trouble with non replaceable cells is that when they are done, you have to dispose of the whole device - not really a sustainable model for your wallet or the Planet.
P

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Neither are celular phones Pete, but that don't stop the market from buying them.
I see a market for key fob sized lights slowly becoming more and more popular as they figure out how to focus beams to make 20 lumens look like 200. Klarus Mi2 for example.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
We (flashaholics) are the minority, so the average person needs to have something easy to use. Built-in USB charging is easy and convenient.

I always take USB chargeable lights/cells when travelling, camping or going on holiday (that thing we did before COVID), so find them very useful.

In absolute terms, and for a light I would need to be robust and waterproof, I would choose one without USB and use primary cells in it.

I will say it certainly makes gifting some of my older lights easy when they are USB chargeable.

boo5ted

Enlightened
I used to not like lights with charging ports mainly because it's usually a point of failure.

Until I bought the Nitecore MH12GTS, the charging port is 100% waterproof. This light has been on the end of my, lets call it, "hunting rifle" for a few years and has seen many range trips, hunting trips and general time in the woods/outdoors and has worked perfectly the entire time. The battery in the light is replaceable which is a plus that I like(not that I've had to replace it, I just like the ability to if needed).

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither are celular phones Pete, but that don't stop the market from buying them.
I see a market for key fob sized lights slowly becoming more and more popular as they figure out how to focus beams to make 20 lumens look like 200. Klarus Mi2 for example.
Ah, you got me. Cellphones - drat!
And there I was feeling nice and self-righteous
P

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
After considering things, for us flashaholics USB charging on lights is not a priority but for a non flashaholic it may actually be a good thing.
Imagine all the tons of alkaleaks and other primary batteries tossed in the trash every year how much would less waste could be avoided by a surge of USB charged lights in stores even without replaceable cells the size of a light with included cell is a small fraction of the size of a comparable light and a pile of primaries over its lifetime of use. Sure the lifetime of use for a light using replaceable cells is probably a lot longer but even buying 2-3 USB rechargeable lights and using them vs 1 light and a big pile of alkaleaks may be a lot smaller and cheaper in the long run. If you can recharge a small light that would perform like a 2AAA light using alkaleaks sold in stores 100 times before it died that would be 200 AAA batteries that were not have to be disposed of and at even 50 cents a battery for semi decent alkaleaks that is $200 in batteries alone for it. If you got batteries for 25 cents then the cost would still be over $100 and such a light could be found in the range of $10- $40 so easily you could replace the same light several times and still come out cheaper.
As for the title about covers maybe they need to design a usb port that has a cover that is standardized in design and can easily be sourced if damaged or lost and robust such that it would be found on most devices that don't have a cover on the port.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You're winning me over, keep going.
P
I'm starting to think if I give people a light and they have a smart phone and are used to it a USB rechargeable one may be a better option than one with replaceable cells that have to be removed and placed in a charger that has to be purchased and the person trained proper charging techniques and troubleshooting and care of batteries including proper storage of lithium cells. This may be a better option that giving them a light that they may be encouraged by ignorance or laziness to use alkaleaks in.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
We (flashaholics) are the minority, so the average person needs to have something easy to use. Built-in USB charging is easy and convenient.

I always take USB chargeable lights/cells when travelling, camping or going on holiday (that thing we did before COVID), so find them very useful.

In absolute terms, and for a light I would need to be robust and waterproof, I would choose one without USB and use primary cells in it.

I will say it certainly makes gifting some of my older lights easy when they are USB chargeable.
I find USB recharging unneeded for cells/lights as I have a single cell charger that itself can operate on either USB or 12vdc input and operate also as a power bank with an 18650 in it so it is doubly useful. I find that it can charge a cell considerably faster than USB cells and built in chargers plus you can monitor things like capacity and voltage while charging to be sure your cell is healthy or not. USB based chargers in cells and lights mostly micro USB are probably limited to 1A and possibly only 0.5A rates while my charger can do 2A and charge at 300ma for smaller cells even plus charge other sizes and nimh cells in addition.