USB integrated AA battery for recharging

sheweyd

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody got an opinion on AA batteries that have an internal USB interface for charging ?

I am looking to unify all of my peripherals to charge via USB, and these seem like a brilliant idea, but what about practice ?

USB-A

USB-micro

USB-C

idleprocess

Flashaholic
  • Upside: Convenient for the user since most of us have a variety of USB chargers and cables
  • Downside: USB plug/circuitry introduces complexity (and thus less reliability), cells tend to be lower-capacity than plain cells, charging algorithm likely to be inferior to a dedicated charger

sheweyd

Newly Enlightened
One downside that instantly concerned me was the hole for the USB interface, not that batteries claim to be water resistant, but this would be an issue.

Some of the reviews mention that certain appliances are too pedantic and don't take kindly to these energy banks trying to pass themselves off as Alkaline batteries, refusing to work even.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
IMO... if you're peripherals have a low battery warning that you depend on, these might not trip them (I don't know).

Another potential downside, is that you will always have to use the USB cables to charge. I don't think you can use a charging dock for these.

I've been contemplating on getting some myself. I might try them out in the future. My main worry is that I might be hesitant to use a Li-ion rechargeable in a AA/AAA device that wasn't designed for it in case of catastrophic event/failure... especially if they are used in series.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keeppower makes Li-ion 14500 with micro usb. If you type in something like "14500 usb" into google, quite a few results show up, most 3,7v, also one or two NiMHs. If those are any good IDK, namebrands like Keeppower, Nitecore, Nextorch, Klarus should be fine. Fenix seems to make a 1,5v one. Are all of those unsuitable?

pancakeayaka

Newly Enlightened
I have few Keeppower 1.5v AA 2260mAh. They are USB charged Li-ion batteries with regulated constant 1.5V output.
Works well in my SL Protac90 with constant high output. My Olight i5T has timed stepdown so it won't keep on constant high.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking at this type of cell. Biggest con is they're all about $5 each! The EBL with USB ports were temp sold out so I ordered the other kind that has a special 4 or 8-slot charger. I don't need to USB charge them "in the field" so it's really sixes, as far as I can tell, between the two types.
I want them for some LED candles that run off 2xAA and get too dim when the batteries (alk or NiMH) are at about 70% charge. I have a radio that doesn't like <1.4V, but I think the electronics in these batteries put out a lot of RF hash. Might work on FM, still.