Uses for a 3600 lumen light?

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know 3600 lumens sounds like a lot, but it really isn't as much different as a 500-1000 lumen light as you might think. And many lights around here have outputs around that. I'd bet a 3600 lumen light like that could be quite useful in areas with higher levels of light pollution.

njet212

Enlightened
For me 3600 lumen light is just for impress friend, i found my self barely need 3600 lumen illumination. Most of the time my keychain light that all i need mostly, between 10 lumen or max 80 lumen to illuminate dark path, finding key hole.

Hoop

Enlightened
This thread is hilarious!

That's about 16,000 lumens and it could always be brighter. Of course it's an incan shining over a brown dirt field to a pole 1150 feet away, so....

Anyone with property could definitely use the lumens. Boaters can because water EATS lumens. Trees eat lumens big time so anyone who is trekking or who lives in the woods could make use.

Last edited:

Etsu

Enlightened
There's a spotlight on a Las Vegas hotel that is over 13 MILLION lumens. So, I can certainly see a need for something a few thousand lumens.

If I had a flashlight that was a few million lumens, I could use it to cook food, melt snow off my driveway, etc. I could see plenty of non-light uses for it!

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
I'd rent it out to other flasholics for their personal illumination needs, whatever they may be.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a spotlight on a Las Vegas hotel that is over 13 MILLION lumens. So, I can certainly see a need for something a few thousand lumens.

If I had a flashlight that was a few million lumens, I could use it to cook food, melt snow off my driveway, etc. I could see plenty of non-light uses for it!

Yeah. One could conceivably use the TM26 on Turbo or 1500 lumens to warm cold hands in the Winter (for a little while at least) but I doubt anybody could cook an egg with it... maybe sushi.

Tenebrae

Newly Enlightened
3600 lumens is only the same output that a couple of 100 watt incandescent bulbs put out.

While this is factually correct, it's ultimately irrelevant. Lightbulbs are essentially omnidirectional light producers, flashlights are focused devices. Which is why, among other reasons, when one tries to site an object, say, 400 meters away, one usually reaches for a flashlight rather than a couple of 100-watt incandescent bulbs.

oeL

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering what the use for a light like the Thrunight TN30 3600 lumen light would be for the average person?

A night walk in winter time with included light therapy healing my winter depression. Really, since I'm doing this regularly I'm feeling much better :)

OK, my wife says I'm doing this just for fun, but anyway she likes it as well.

Last edited:

Etsu

Enlightened
While this is factually correct, it's ultimately irrelevant. Lightbulbs are essentially omnidirectional light producers, flashlights are focused devices. Which is why, among other reasons, when one tries to site an object, say, 400 meters away, one usually reaches for a flashlight rather than a couple of 100-watt incandescent bulbs.

What I also said in my post was, "It's enough to light up a medium sized room, if you tail-stand such a flashlight. I could see the average person wanting that much light."

So I was clearly proposing using the flashlight as a room area light, not as a thrower. Lots of people like to tail-stand their flashlight. I maintain that 3600 lumens isn't too much light if you use it to light up a room.

Tenebrae

Newly Enlightened
What I also said in my post was, "It's enough to light up a medium sized room, if you tail-stand such a flashlight. I could see the average person wanting that much light."

So I was clearly proposing using the flashlight as a room area light, not as a thrower. Lots of people like to tail-stand their flashlight. I maintain that 3600 lumens isn't too much light if you use it to light up a room.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification!:thumbsup:

Etsu

Enlightened
Heh, well, of course unless it's a very large room, 3600 lumens is probably nearing the point where it's plenty good enough. Beyond that, and you're probably looking to use it outdoors only. Then, I can see almost any amount of light being possibly useful, especially in search & rescue.

Olympus620

Newly Enlightened
If you are the type that don't like guns for protection, 3800 lumens will work well to blind your attacker. Don't try this at home kids, get a real gun for protection. :)

Chesapeake

Newly Enlightened
lumens don't excite or interest me. LUX on the other hand in different kettle of fish. 360K LUX is preferable to 3600 lumens. I only need to see 20-24" @ 200 meters and proportionaly up.
What do you want to see or what do want to light up?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked such a tenter if they needed a light, and they replied that they had a freekin mag light, so there wasn't anything that was going to be be better than that.

I told them my 'lil keychain light would be better for them...they laughed when I pulled out my keys and showed them the RCR123 keychain light. I made one snort his beer right through his nostrils when the 'lil keychain light blasted ~ 500+ lumens of flood over the campsite.

I then hit the TM26 and finished them off, photonically at least.
:D

Worst Mortal Kombat Combatant ever LOL.... FINISH HIM *pulls out RC40 and slowly blinds to death*

u4kl.jpg

FLASHLIGHTALITY!!!

Last edited:

tarrow

Newly Enlightened
I have an about 1000 lumen light and I never thought I would have it on high. I have it on high all the time. I live in a rural area. I have livestock. There are coyotes. It rains here constantly and my dogs do not always return unless they know I can see them. When the beam hits them, they give up the game and return to my side. I can see about 1.25 fields away I would like a flashlight 3 times brighter so I could see 2 fields away. It also is very useful when I hunt for aquatic plants in dark wooded streams or muddy lakes or for brownish mushrooms in the dense forest. This is my first real flashlight and I had no idea how often I would find it useful.

Capolini

Banned
I read about 15 posts and people seemed to cover many of the other reasons I was going to mention.

I have one with similar output. A TK-75.

I use it for walking the Dog!!! No, really I do! However, I am on isolated hiking trails or country roads where I am lucky to see 2 or 3 cars in an hour.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never went to use a flashlight and thought this is too bright or have had anyone say to me do you have a dimmer flashlight?

Well, actually I have, but even so;

We tend to fall into the trap of only imagining our own situation and surrounding circumstances, forgetting that others live in some wildly, almost unimaginably, different circumstances. For example I used to live in a "spread out suburb" where the furthest distance you were going to illuminate for ANY purpose was about 150 yards...PERIOD and I had a hard time imagining why you'd need more than that. I mean, if it's happening 150 yards away it doesn't concern YOU, right? (see that city viewpoint there where 150 yards is someone else's territory).

When we moved to a rural city the distances actually decreased (mostly) due to the layout of buildings, trees, and terrain. Then we moved out to the edge and suddenly I had occasion to try and see what was going on 150-200-250+ yards away (distance out to an outbuilding/barn/edge of property). I thought this was pretty impressive until we went to visit the wife's family in northern North Dakota.

Believe me when I tell you that trying to see why the cattle are upset at 250+ yards is not at all unusual in the dead flat hinterlands of North Dakota (or in the Nevada deserts for that matter). Heck, her grandparent's barns were 300 yards from the house and the property was something like 600 acres all told. BIG spotlights were the norm and they got heavy, almost nightly, use.

I also have a friend who lives on the shore. He LOVES to take a powerful light and play it over the ocean and on occasion he's had a Morse code "conversation" with ships far offshore just for the fun of it.

I'm sure there are other uses of which I'm completely unaware but what I do know is that it is amazing how quickly a light that is (to me) super gazonga, becomes "just the right tool" under other circumstances.

Lumens can be spread out in a flood, or marched out in a tight dowel shaped beam, etc. So, 3,600 lumens can look dim or even dark 500 meters away with a floody light, and somewhat brighter with a less floody beam, etc.
Also this.

Last edited: