• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
what do battery bumpers do? Will it stop the rattle of the 18650 battery?

In extreme tail impacts the battery can crush the switch, disabling the light. The bumpers absorb and transfer this energy to the case, shielding the switch. This is beyond normal 'dropped on the sidewalk' type impacts and is more for like 'fell off a tall cliff and crashed into a bolder' type hits. They can't hurt for rattles but the double springs are enough for preventing rattles on their own.

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question time...can the heat given off by BOSS at max output damage tritium vials? Recently got a BOSS 70 from Ozy with trits, and they look crazy cool, but I don't want to damage them. Thinking about switching the head to my 35 body if there's a possibility of damaging them. Thanks ;)

If you're concerned I'll trade, don't have a copper BOSS 70 but have the others.

Seriously, years ago (exotic coating run....) I had a PEU bezel with 3 trits in it coated and removed the trits prior to it, I softened the optical "glue" with a heat gun, no damage to trits, by the heat, I did break one "picking" it out. Aaaaannnd the BOSS / V5 steps down in output as the heat goes up. No Worries.

Have lots of trits in things, broken one or two by dropping keys, etc from 6 feet (maybe 20% of time).

Last edited:

flashlight nut

Enlightened
I'm looking to purchase a black pocket clip and screws for the BOSS. Will these be available for purchase in the parts section anytime soon?

Stoneking

Enlightened
So I've had my BOSS for a little over a month now.
It has taken quite a beating, by the end of the day it's usually covered in dirt, smeared with grease and several more marks have been added. One thing I've noticed is the gap in the head and tail fill with dirt a lot and opening the light ends up drawing the dirt onto the threads. Cleaning the light today I remembered I had a spare O-Ring for an HDS battery compartment. I put that in the gap and it fits perfectly, we'll see how well it works at keeping dirt out. The spare O-Ring inadvertently aligned the indents in the head and tail as well, sweet!
If anyone knows the size of the HDS battery compartment o-ring I'd love to know, I wouldn't mind stocking up on a small bag of them.
I couldn't be happier with the performance, design and durability of this light. It is perfect for the heavy abuse it is unavoidably subject to.
Thank you Team Oveready, you guys have brought my search for exactly what I was looking for to an end.
http://i.imgur.com/ltX4uvz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xIqiIz4.jpg

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'll take it in Ti. It's a small light it really won't be that heavy. And I'm fine keeping it to 500 lms high for heat for the durability of Ti.

That said I played with one of the patina'd Al models and I wouldn't mind one in my pocket. :)
Nick, I never got interested in plain aluminum until I saw these patina models, and hearing they were done in 7075...

I just got mine and am a complete convert, at least for the time being. This is the light to convince my friend that LEDs definitely make heat!

Having just received my patina A35 (actually a 35/70, but earmarkd now has the 70 body), I'm now going through the entire 79 pages and I had to respond to your comment about being willing to limit yourself to 500 lumens, for a light the size of an E1e! Just a few years ago we couldn't have even had this conversation! :D

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
So I've had my BOSS for a little over a month now.
It has taken quite a beating, by the end of the day it's usually covered in dirt, smeared with grease and several more marks have been added. One thing I've noticed is the gap in the head and tail fill with dirt a lot and opening the light ends up drawing the dirt onto the threads
PM sent

I'm looking to purchase a black pocket clip and screws for the BOSS. Will these be available for purchase in the parts section anytime soon?
We only made enough for the black lights but we should have extras with the next round. Next month or possibly sooner.

Nick, I never got interested in plain aluminum until I saw these patina models, and hearing they were done in 7075. I just got mine and am a complete convert, at least for the time being.
Aluminum is so popular because of its thermal performance and light weight. The tougher 7 series kind of seals the deal on all around performance and is much lighter than even titanium.

No doubt there are different projects going on with the Oveready Team. Thinking that the new website is taking a lot of ElectronGuru's time.

I may have bitten off more than I can chew. :sweat:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Aluminum is so popular because of its thermal performance and light weight. The tougher 7 series kind of seals the deal on all around performance and is much lighter than even titanium.
Lot lighter than titanium for sure. These reasons in addition to the gorgeous patina finish are what led me to want this one over any of the others.

So I've got mine in the programming mode and the amber LED is flashing a sequence that I'd like to know the meaning of, that is, if there is a meaning to it.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lot lighter than titanium for sure. These reasons in addition to the gorgeous patina finish are what led me to want this one over any of the others.

So I've got mine in the programming mode and the amber LED is flashing a sequence that I'd like to know the meaning of, that is, if there is a meaning to it.
AFAIK, the blink sequence is the 6-digit firmware version which you can input at the Lux-RC website to check for the firmware details. ;)

archimedes

Flashaholic

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
AFAIK, the blink sequence is the 6-digit firmware version which you can input at the Lux-RC website to check for the firmware details. ;)
I was still puzzled but at least it helped!

Yes, that is the LE serial number.

More details in OP, here ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/4682451
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed!

Now I know:production Batch Details371D R1.2.5 Light Engine

Build Date: 2017 Q1

Program with: NXS R1

LE Hardware: 371 Blue 9965-66590
LE Firmware: 371D R1.2.5 ID151 270416
LE Peak Output: 32W (3.2A per each LED)
LE Sens FET: T2 IRH6242 FB87P
LE Carry Sens: NA

LED Type: CREE XP-L MDC
LED Bin: 4500K V6 3B*
Aux LED: AMBER 611nm

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pls bear, what I meant was it is a 6-digit *serial number* of the V5/Boss head to reveal the *firmware version and details* via the Lux-RC website.

;)

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
So guys what do you think of the new BOSS bezels? ;)

Wondering if we can possibly order them as parts?