• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

redryder

Enlightened
I think so too but I can't tighten down the head anymore because the head hits the body. I suppose I could slightly sand down the head so it can screw down more or shim up the head's contact.

My guess is the anodizing is preventing the flow of current if the patina head isn't tightened down... 類

Shurock

Newly Enlightened
Purchased a ti frosted 70. Running 2x 18350 IMR 700 mAh. Went bright poof and out. Is that too much battery? What battery should I use?

phantom357

Newly Enlightened
Purchased a ti frosted 70. Running 2x 18350 IMR 700 mAh. Went bright poof and out. Is that too much battery? What battery should I use?
1. Were the batteries fully charged?
2. Reputable batteries?
3. Do you have a 18650 to try, just to make sure it's not the Boss
4. When the light went out, was bounce protection activated?

Shurock

Newly Enlightened
AW batteries. Fully charged. Light was fresh out of the box, so did not have a chance turn light protection on or off. Tried a working 18650 battery. Did not work either.

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
Remove the head and place a battery in the body. Use a multimeter and see if you can read anything between the threads and the anode of the battery. Then click the switch and try again. Sounds so elementary but always good to methodically rule out the switch and the battery... 🧐

Past that it's time to email Dan. [emoji121]🏻

Fear not! Oveready has exemplary customer service.

[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻

Shurock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I will try it. Check for voltage?

Which battery, combination do you recommend of the different brands for 18350?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would stick with 1x18650 - I've had good luck running Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh High Discharge Flat Top

** With two cells you have twice the chance of somthing going wrong

Last edited:

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
AW batteries. Fully charged. Light was fresh out of the box, so did not have a chance turn light protection on or off. Tried a working 18650 battery. Did not work either.

Interesting how things pop up. I had freshly charged a set of AW 18350s over the weekend and loaded them in my Z70 host with an Oveready V5 XPL-Hi drop. Short operation in the backyard last night and... lights out. 🧐

Turns out one of the batteries decided to die! It had been charged and used many dozens of times over the last few years but gave no signs during charging or use of impending failure. A quick check with my multimeter and that battery is toast. I'm taking its mate out of service since they were always used as a pair. Never ran them below 3.7v and promptly charged them after use.

A fresh set of batteries and all is normal. 🤗

Note to self... find new source for 18350s. Any update on the AW factory situation?

[emoji52]

Shurock

Newly Enlightened
I would stick with 1x18650 - I've had good luck running Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh High Discharge Flat Top

** With two cells you have twice the chance of somthing going wrong

Ordered a pair of those 18650's last night. Thanks!

Yeah, the BOSS caused one of two of my 18350's to fry. It recharged, then fried again. Going to wait for my 18650's to arrive. Would have liked to see full power, though. If I had known, I would have bought the 219 Nichia.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I am having problems using my XPL HI Patina head on a Black HA body. Occasionally(maybe 1 out of 30-40 times) when I click to change modes, nothing happens. When I try it immediately again, it works. When I use the Patina head w/ Patina body or Black HA head w/ Black HA body, I don't have problems. I noticed that there is a slight gap between the Black head and Black body but almost none for Patina head and Black body. I'm wondering if the problem is because Patina head doesn't totally screw down on the Black body.
Sorry for the difficulty. It could the spacing but it may also be tightness.

BOSS has a dedicated negative contact surface around the spring. This operates when the body is fully tight. Uncoated bodies also have a second path through the threads, that works when threads are clean. Black bodies have coated threads, providing lock out function by preventing the second path, leaving only the primary path. So the first thing to check when it doesnt fire up is that the body is tight against the head.

If that doesn't help there may be another issue. Please let know and we can try more steps.

Will there be a polished Ti version release of BOSS?
We have no plans for it but have also not rulled it out.

What is:
481 service PIN added: on/off the standby locator?
v5 is platform that includes power switch operation (BOSS) and electronic switch operation (fl33, hds). 481 is specific to E switches and is not appliable to clicky switches, including BOSS.

Its possible the cell died under load and wont work in lower draw appications. its also possible the cell is alive, just unable to pass the tests v5 performs every turn on so ensure cells arent over taxed. Every BOSS is hand tested before shipping, let me know if new/other cells dont improve operation!

Note to self... find new source for 18350s. Any update on the AW factory situation?
Still down. I may start making OR batteries.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

[emoji52]
I've had good results with AWT and my V5 light. Also I've been using rebadged Aspire 18350 1100mah cells.
I get them from Ampsplus.co.uk who rewraps them as Ampsplus, but I'm sure there's other that do the same. He does ship worldwide, but how economic that works out i don't know.
P

Latest posts