• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aluminum Bronze would be cool too. It can look amazing cleaned up, or let it grow some patina. Whatever floats your boat. As a added bonus, it has a wonderful heft to it. Oh, and it smells good too. :popcorn:

One thing is for sure, the BOSS has tremendous potential. I hope it is around for a while, and production can keep up with demands. I can only guess that at this point, but a light like the BOSS will likely hold its value well on the secondary market for a good while. So if you were lucky enough to score say a Ti, you can flip it to get the latest Timascus & Scandium BOSS! The future looks bright for the BOSS.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Hey guys, 2 part question... Are carclo optics compatible with the boss? And if so how do you get to the optics? The light engine doesnt have the standard tweezer notches underneath... thanks,

YummyBacon!

Enlightened
Yes, it uses Carclo optics. The bezel is supposed to unscrew from the front to allow replacement optics but they are on VERY tight.
This has been discussed earlier in the thread so you might want to go back...

Hey guys, 2 part question... Are carclo optics compatible with the boss? And if so how do you get to the optics? The light engine doesnt have the standard tweezer notches underneath... thanks,

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Yes, it uses Carclo optics. The bezel is supposed to unscrew from the front to allow replacement optics but they are on VERY tight.
This has been discussed earlier in the thread so you might want to go back...
Thanks, i figured it was discussed already i was just too lazy to read 63 pages...:)

i saw the line on the bezel but assumed it was a decorative machine mark because mine does not budge.

Thanks for the info.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
849c9a383f87c1e597eba5fe45cf6bf3.jpg

Do not try this at home! Oveready's website says "user swappable optics" so I pushed this harder than I should have. After trying many gentler methods, I wrapped pliers in towels and tried to loosen the bezel. The bezel is on so tight that the teeth of the pliers came right through the towel and bit the bezel, and it still didn't come loose! Although it did a terrible job to the finish... I have emailed Oveready to send the head in for optic switch, and pray they will do something about the finish also. Disregard "user swappable optic" claim and leave that bezel alone y'all.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Oh rats. So no combos count for patina finish and Nichia leds? ;(

Guess I am waiting until batch 4 as the 70 won't be sold alone if I buy the 35 first.

Sorry, we're working to improve next years variety, availability, and option allocation!

Check out Berylliosis, dangerous to machinists.

Aluminum Bronze would be cool too. It can look amazing cleaned up, or let it grow some patina. Whatever floats your boat. As a added bonus, it has a wonderful heft to it. Oh, and it smells good too. :popcorn:

One thing is for sure, the BOSS has tremendous potential. I hope it is around for a while, and production can keep up with demands. I can only guess that at this point, but a light like the BOSS will likely hold its value well on the secondary market for a good while. So if you were lucky enough to score say a Ti, you can flip it to get the latest Timascus & Scandium BOSS! The future looks bright for the BOSS.
The plan is aluminum then two other metals, repeat, with 1 being 7075:

Cycles will get more complex, depending on the popularity of 2+

Yes. Standard 10507, hand inspected for Q/C. Changing them is easy - once you get the bezel off.
We are making changes to make this easier. In the mean time….

The bezel is on so tight that the teeth of the pliers came right through the towel and bit the bezel, and it still didn't come loose!

Lets get you fixed up. And Im writing a quick guide...

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Update

Several customers have attempted to open their BOSS heads, only to damage them in the process.

We are working with these customers to ensure they are not left with damaged lights
We are working to make future builds easier to open
We are working to offer a tool that makes all BOSS heads easier to open

In the mean time, there is also an unofficial strap wrench method
Do not use this or any method if you are not comfortable with tools. Better options are coming.

There is no single strap wrench small/grippy enough to handle 1" lights but:

1) Purchase two of these wrenches
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1273237

2) Purchase one of these wrenches
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=32145946

3) Remove the white straps from #1 wrenches

4) Slice the strap off the #2 wrench, slice this red strap into two equal lengths

5) Weave the two new red pieces from step 4 into each of the red wrenches from step 3 with the grippy side inside the loop (some thinning may be required)

6) Adjust the new strap loop sizes to ensure a snug fit at the correct angle
bossStrap1.jpg

7) take your custom strap wrenches and apply them to the hot/heated BOSS head like so

bossStrap2.jpg

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Your response to the bezel removal situation (for those so inclined, mind you...) is yet another reason on a long list of why I'll continue to do business with Oveready. Customer Service at it's best...

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Update

Several customers have attempted to open their BOSS heads, only to damage them in the process.

We are working with these customers to ensure they are not left with damaged lights

Dan, you guys are awesome. Tom already messaged me to send my light back and it is on its way. Y'all rock.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Your response to the bezel removal situation (for those so inclined, mind you...) is yet another reason on a long list of why I'll continue to do business with Oveready. Customer Service at it's best...

I agree. I've never seen such a high level of communication skill or the willingness to accommodate those that need assistance. I say this based not only on the examples in this thread but also on my general experience with these guys throughout the years.

Right ..... now after such an endorsement, where's my free Copper Boss 35 with Amber secondary led? :nana:

Last edited:

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone seen the picture of a black HA boss 70 on Instagram yet? Makes me think, maybe my boss 35 and 70 wouldn't have to match after all! It looks pretty mean in black!

Robe

Enlightened
Oh wow. I was not excited about black vs patina. I was wrong. I can totally be in board for that!

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone seen the picture of a black HA boss 70 on Instagram yet? Makes me think, maybe my boss 35 and 70 wouldn't have to match after all! It looks pretty mean in black!

Yup [emoji41]

One awesome looking light.

[emoji106]🏻