• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
^ great explanation!

They also aid with sleep:

benefitREDAMBER
brightnessgoodbest
dark visionbestgood
sleep protectionbestbest
environmentruralurban

So amber is brighter at the same power level, so you need less night adapted vision to navigate effectively. But its not quite as good at promoting such vision. But its just as good at ensuring you don't blast away the Melatonin you need to get back to sleep.

Last edited:

Robe

Enlightened
Total time, I've got more usage out of amber than any of the white settings.

I use it every morning navigating out of my bedroom past the kids room and to the living room when leaving for work.

Would a dim white work? Sure. I've used that on other lights also. But I really enjoy the more mellow amber color.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I'll see about an official scale but its roughly 2.8 for empty and 4.1 for full.

Here's a first draft...

There are several points to consider in estimating the charge of a Li-Ion cell by voltage:

• Discharge curves of Li-Ion cells vary with size, capacity, and chemistry
  • There are significant differences between fresh cells and worn cells

• Applies when battery protection and stretch are on...
  • 111 PIN measures "floating voltage" per cell (no load applied)
  • 4.1v is full, 2.8v is completely empty
  • Voltage under load (mainly in high modes) is less than floating voltage
  • Output may decline when running high output modes at lower voltages

• v5 light engine blinks out voltage by using 111 pin
  • Activate with three pulses with 1 second between (• • •)
  • Each white blink is 1v, each red/amber blink is 0.1V (••• ••••• is 3.5v)
  • 4.0v will be shown as: 4x white
  • 3.7v will be shown as: 3x white + 7x red/amber

Study these graphs to estimate percentage remaining when checking the voltage of your cell. Both graphs applied to fresh AW IMR cells. These may be extrapolated to cells of similar performance.

IMR_volt_in_percentage.jpg

Last edited:

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Total time, I've got more usage out of amber than any of the white settings.

I use it every morning navigating out of my bedroom past the kids room and to the living room when leaving for work.

Would a dim white work? Sure. I've used that on other lights also. But I really enjoy the more mellow amber color.

I was all set to shoot for amber until I read EG's chart listing red for rural environments. I'm guessing that's due to overall lower existing light levels in rural areas... making the red more suitable. In contrast, the brighter amber would be the preferred color in an urban environment for obvious reasons.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I was all set to shoot for amber until I read EG's chart listing red for rural environments. I'm guessing that's due to overall lower existing light levels in rural areas... making the red more suitable.
Its more to do with ambient light color than shear volume. When little ambient light is present, red doesn't have anything to clash with and is hardest to see from a distance (low signature). Cities are filled with lamps, cars, streetlights etc, most of which are putting out yellow/orange. Our eyes adjust to this color, so red looks different and is more noticeable at a distance. Amber blends into urban ambient lighting for the user and the observer.

But Batch 3 is predominantly red so amber fans will need to wait for Batch 4. Details soon!

Last edited:

egdima

Newly Enlightened
Does BOSS use the same light-engine as Lux-RC torches? Looks very similar visually.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Does BOSS use the same light-engine as Lux-RC torches? Looks very similar visually.
Yes, OR/TL triples are 100% LuxRC. They've been our exclusive triple OEM since version 3 and built version 5 to joint specifications. lux-rc.com is how you program the BOSS.

Here's how the versions translate:

332 - 3.0
333 - 3.1
334 - 4.0
371 - 5.0

extra: rather than having two board versions, Lux-RC makes a single model for all applications. LEDs are often different between the two channels, especially for non CREE options.

Excuse me my blasphemy, but why the color LED is not centered? :)

I didn't answer this well the first time, trying again…

Most triple setups require two boards. One for the drivers and one for the LEDs. This provides a certain amount of flexibility but also requires more space, exposes components (requiring potting), and reduces the ability to add special features like our secondary LED tower. A single integrated board has advantages but also means finding room for everything on a single tiny board face. The secondary LED has nothing to focus and can't swap places with the larger component already in the center of the board.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Announcement

Our third BOSS release is this weekend, here are the details:

WHEN
Sunday, February 05 - afternoon pacific time

WHAT
Three configurations...

satin black 219b/4500k+amber (boss 35 only)
satin black XPL Redome/4500k)+red (all models)
satin black XPL HI/4000k+red (all models)
all configurations standard with AlTiN clips + AlTiN screws

Total units are over 100
Over half include a 70 body
Over a third are combo (both bodies)

HOW
All stock will be released in a single large batch
Purchase restrictions are 2 heads equivalent per person/address
This will be the first release with modern packaging (foam+poly)
This will be dominated by red. Future batches will have both red and amber.

We'll be releasing Insider 62 with complete introduction
This includes links to product pages with even more information
We'll work to ship all orders together over multiple days

UPDATES
This thread will be updated with the latest info including shipping
Our FB group controlthedark.com will be updated with the latest info including shipping

STEPS (before)
  1. subscribe if you're not already
  2. ensure you are logged in
  3. check your PP and OR shipping addresses
  4. place other items in your cart in advance

STEPS (after)
  1. open the insider
  2. click the image of your preferred configuration
  3. select your LEDs (options)
  4. add to cart
  5. complete checkout
  6. prepare for awesome

BATTERIES
Most support issues from the first batches were from inadequate batteries
We've added a battery menu to make inclusion of quality IMR super easy
You can skip this option, but please use quality IMRs the first time to confirm good performance

pwrdbycotn

Newly Enlightened
Very excited for these. Is there any chance we could know the time of the drop? Like many others, I will be at a super bowl party and would hate to be rude staring at my phone and refreshing all afternoon.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
This will be my final light purchase for quite some time. I prefer the look of the 35, but I'm leaning towards the 70 for max wow. I dunno...