• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they had just said... wimmer take it to the bathroom and shut off the lights...

Hey I keep seeing those thumbs up customer feedback popups on the programming page, but I can't find the thumbs down button anywhere. Bahahaha take it easy guys I'm playin... I got a new light today!

Wtlj

Newly Enlightened
Most issues...

Dan,
Is there a phone number for you guys? Or perhaps a better way to reach you?
I have an issue I'm trying to resolve...
Yesterday I sent a reply via order email, an email through your website and a PM through CPF...

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Sorry, we are still cleaning up from last weeks launch, including special requests, delivery issues, and emails. PM sent.

Last edited:

barry

Newly Enlightened
All parts look like that before final shaping. All metals have the same final design. Final appearance will also be less shiny.

Thanks. To tell you the truth, I'd even be delighted with the partially machined brass body you showed on FB. You mention the final version will be less shiny. Please don't sand blast or use any other treatment that will make the surface rough. Part of the beauty of brass is the way it naturally ages from use and handling. In my experience, starting with a smooth, almost polished, finish helps more quickly achieve the desired "smooth but etched" surface that can reveal the interesting grain structure of the metal.

archimedes

Flashaholic
So ... I wasn't specifically planning to try one of these right now, but when I just happened to log on during the most recent drop and noticed something in stock by chance ....

:ohgeez:

Now, as many of you know, I am a low lumen fan :D

But, I have to admit that I am pretty impressed by the BRIGHT that this little torch brings :eek:oo:

The 70 is so compact that I actually think the 35 is too tiny.

Although I'd rather not have to go to a website for programming, I have been enjoying trying out different settings.

Quite an achievement, to pack all this power and tech into such a small flashlight.

Three technical questions ....

1) Does anyone else ever get mode "stutter" ? Occasionally, the first mode seems to repeat, before moving on to the next mode. For me, it seems unpredictable, and (so far, at least) has only occurred with the first mode.

2) What do you all use for "bounce sensitivity" setting(s) ? I seem to get almost no reproducible bounce at all under 84, while anything above 85 seems to go instantly to red :thinking:

I used a few different surfaces to test (white paper, brown wood, gray fabric, black mousepad) and can't seem to find a setting which will be triggered by them all, yet not go straight to red instantly when not blocked by anything.

3) Does bounce only work with maximum "afterburner" output ?

I ask because when the output steps down due to heat and/or battery capacity, I seem to lose bounce entirely.

Thanks !

Last edited:

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bounce only works on afterburn for me.

Also, I was just informed that my comment last night about turning out the lights for programming was incorrect. That's what worked for me, but a gentleman tells me that he can do it in direct sunlight. So... pretty neat!

Croquette

Enlightened
Hi archimedes,

I have the same with the first mode repeating sometimes before going for the next level.

It's unpredictable too on my light but not a real concern for my use.

Regards,

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi archimedes,

I have the same with the first mode repeating sometimes before going for the next level.

It's unpredictable too on my light but not a real concern for my use.

Regards,

the latch time is pretty quick on these, so if there's too much of a delay between clicks, it already is locked into memory, so when you hit the second click, it thinky you are just fresh turning it on, and pulls from memory.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
You mention the final version will be less shiny. Please don't sand blast or use any other treatment that will make the surface rough. Part of the beauty of brass is the way it naturally ages from use and handling.

The final Triad shape cannot be achieved without a mandatory tumbling process. So 100% of BOSS parts go through this process and will be altered from the 'off the machine' appearance. But just as with patina 7075, other uncoated metals can be polished etc to achieve different looks.

Bounce is essentially 'dumb' and can't tell when environment or output is changed (whatever the reason). It can be calibrated for 1 cell but will then be to sensitive for 2. It can be calibrated for 2 cells but will be to far to be activated by 1.

2) What do you all use for "bounce sensitivity" setting(s) ? I seem to get almost no reproducible bounce at all under 84, while anything above 85 seems to go instantly to red :thinking:
Mine works with one cell (level 28) on 95 but every light can be different (mine has frosted optic). Is it similarly difficult with 2 cells?

the latch time is pretty quick on these, so if there's too much of a delay between clicks, it already is locked into memory, so when you hit the second click, it thinky you are just fresh turning it on, and pulls from memory.
We had complaints with the first v5 that timing was so slow, so they've been set pretty aggressively short ever since. But all v5 can be adjusted after delivery. See timing videos under section H*:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403685

Settings closer to one second should make it more patient.

* configurations must be reloaded after applying

Last edited:

Croquette

Enlightened

Thank you for the tip but I already tried that too. One of a fifty times, I just have to cycle through two same mode before accessing to the next one. Not a real concern for me.

barry

Newly Enlightened
The final Triad shape cannot be achieved without a mandatory tumbling process. So 100% of BOSS parts go through this process and will be altered from the 'off the machine' appearance. But just as with patina 7075, other uncoated metals can be polished etc to achieve different looks.

Thanks for the nice explanation. I wasn't aware all Triads went through a tumbling step. Anyway, I think a tumbled finish will be just right for a brass light.

archimedes

Flashaholic

1) Does anyone else ever get mode "stutter" ? Occasionally, the first mode seems to repeat, before moving on to the next mode. For me, it seems unpredictable, and (so far, at least) has only occurred with the first mode.

I used a few different surfaces to test (white paper, brown wood, gray fabric, black mousepad) and can't seem to find a setting which will be triggered by them all, yet not go straight to red instantly when not blocked by anything.

I ask because when the output steps down due to heat and/or battery capacity, I seem to lose bounce entirely.

Thanks !

Bounce is essentially 'dumb' and can't tell when environment or output is changed (whatever the reason). It can be calibrated for 1 cell but will then be to sensitive for 2. It can be calibrated for 2 cells but will be to far to be activated by 1.

Mine works with one cell (level 28) on 95 but every light can be different (mine has frosted optic). Is it similarly difficult with 2 cells?

We had complaints with the first v5 that timing was so slow, so they've been set pretty aggressively short ever since. But all v5 can be adjusted after delivery. See timing videos under section H*:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403685

Settings closer to one second should make it more patient.

* configurations must be reloaded after applying

Thanks for that information.

I should have specified that I have mostly been testing this on IMR18350 (x2) and have the narrow clear optic. That would likely explain why my bounce setting is much lower than 95, although I am somewhat surprised that the frosted optic doesn't result in more light bounce back.

I have just fully recharged my batteries (4.19V each) , and now my settings of 84 and 85 are too high (with "instaflash" to red, on afterburner) :(
I had to reprogram down to a bounce of 82, which is working nicely, but will likely not be ideal when the batteries are partially drained.

I understand the limitations of "bounce" better now, but am not thrilled with the unpredictability factor. I may just turn this feature off, I suppose. Neat idea, but maybe not for me.

Also, not sure if the latch time is enough of a bother for me to need to adjust. Like @Croquette , I get a mode repeat only maybe once in several dozen activations ....

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
The satin black Boss 70 is the bomb. The finish is premium and the clip really makes it... the matte is the perfect complement. Thanks Oveready and thanks to Chauncey for pointing me toward this light... especially the 70. :)

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure someone would have bought your extra head. Someone with a combo. Well, hopefully Dan will have some extra bodies eventually!

Vernon

Enlightened
Would someone please remind me where to find the detailed runtime charts? I feel like I saw it at some point, but can't seem to find it again. Thanks!