• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Can someone please tell me the difference between:
XP-L HI
XP-L HD4
There are 4 kinds of XPL:

1) domed (tall dome)
2) dedomed (dome is removed)
3) redomed (dome is removed and replaced with a short dome - HD4/MDC)
4) high intensity (factory installed short dome)

The first type doesn't fit under triple optics
The second type has awful color
The third type is our custom short dome process and currently gives 4500k
The fourth type is called HI and currently gives 4000k

HI and redome are essentially interchangeable with the main current difference being color.

We choose between them largely for logistical considerations.

Never seen a knife, light, and HAND all the same color before. Great worksite pic!

Last edited:

Wtlj

Newly Enlightened
There are 4 kinds of XPL:

1) domed (tall dome)
2) dedomed (dome is removed)
3) redomed (dome is removed and replaced with a short dome - HD4/MDC)
4) high intensity (factory installed short dome)

The first type doesn't fit under triple optics
The second type has awful color
The third type is our custom short dome process and currently gives 4500k
The fourth type is called HI and currently gives 4000k

HI and redome are essentially interchangeable with the main current difference being color.

I'm lost...I'll explain.
I was sold my patina combo as an XPL-HI but the serial number comes up as XPL-HD4.

So your saying it's 4500K like the Redome but their serial check shows it's 4200K. I also don't believe it's nearly as blue as my Redome. I'll have to compare when I get home. Am I going crazy?

Is the latest release Redome (MDC) the same color hue as the XPL-HD4 used in the patina run? Perhaps the 4200K listed on its spec sheet is incorrect?

Last edited:

Wtlj

Newly Enlightened
No, but I may be. Let me ask the SN experts and get back to you.

In the mean time, let me know if you'd like to return it. Close up photos may help the investigation!

Return? Hahaha. You must be crazy! NEVER. I'll get some close up pics soon.
Everyone knows variety is the spice of life!

Last edited:

Vernon

Enlightened
Thanks guys, that means the world!

Update

The standard tightness for BOSS bezel rings is proving to tight for hand removal.
We are addressing this in several ways, depending if you are a current or future owner:

FUTURE
BOSS sales pages now include an instructions text box below options menus. When purchasing a new BOSS, enter modifications you'd like made before shipment, including optic, GID, and ring tightness. Typing 'loosen ring' is enough to change it from ready-for-hard-use to something ready-for-swaps.

CURRENT
Ship the head into OR HQ for a one time loosen and/or parts change (no charge). We can then leave it loose or tighten it back down, as you like. We are also starting production on bezel tools. Available in pairs, they'll allow for max tight and max loose between deployments.

EXTRA
We are also working on a supplementary bezel ring. Its release may be a good time to implement some of the things above.

Thanks for the update! Can you give an ETA on the bezel tool? That will help me decide on sitting tight or sending it in.

Thanks!

Wtlj

Newly Enlightened
All that's needed for bezel loosening is a pair of rubber gloves or pair of rubber bands and a pair of testicles.
In all seriousness I've received a few extremely tight ones...
Throw on a pair of latex gloves, turn the light on high and get the head hot, grab ahold and grunt a bit while twisting. Works every time.

If all else fails every man should own a pair of rubber strap wrenches!

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgot about that. Did turn the bounce down to 50,that worked. I'll try 90 & a clean lenses tonight. Thanks for the reminder

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Return? Hahaha. You must be crazy! NEVER. I'll get some close up pics soon.
Everyone knows variety is the spice of life!

You must have a really quick trigger finger to have successfully placed that HA order. Wow.... I hope your on the potty during the next drop.

Shawnson

Newly Enlightened
Have not had any drops yet. Almost hope it happens soon just so I can get it out of the way and stop worrying about it. I know it is going to happen eventually.

20170224_164200_zpszjbalo38.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wtlj

Newly Enlightened
You must have a really quick trigger finger to have successfully placed that HA order. Wow.... I hope your on the potty during the next drop.

Don't fool yourself...I purchased the majority of what you see on the secondary market.

scintillator

Enlightened
BOSS bezel ring;
I was able to remove the bezel without too much difficulty using two Fenix AOD-S Diffusers.
Pictures;
D2mz9DG.jpg
[/IMG]
uAFUhUR.jpg
[/IMG]

Of course be gentle but forceful at the same time.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have not had any drops yet. Almost hope it happens soon just so I can get it out of the way and stop worrying about it. I know it is going to happen eventually.

Would be interested to know how you programmed your BOSS in line with your job?