• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
When the next batch of Brass bodies arrive, will I be able get a head unit only for my 70?
Yes and no. We made the original brass (and copper) batch with extra bodies for combos and are still basing production of that batch and those ratios. So the third set of brass will not include extra heads. However, we came to our senses about this ratio and made a dedicated set of extra heads, across multiple metals. This set is making its way through our supply chain and should be ready by fall for individual purchase.

ETA on re.stock of ALTiN Ti bezels, and/or SS?:thinking:
Our production process goes like so

cut metal > shape metal (silver) > treat/color metal (black etc)

And rather than holding the whole batch until later steps are finished, we have released the first step (raw) last month. Frosted is soon, followed by AlTiN by next month. These sets are all based on the same batch of titanium.

I already had a v5 light engine in a Moddoolar host, but I could not resist the BOSS any longer. I had been eyeing a black 35 for a while and finally decided to just order one. All black obviously to wear with black dress slacks. I also ordered a 130mm DB Cell tube so I could play with the v5 light engine at higher lumens for longer. Thanks OR Team.
Building/testing your new light now!

Last edited:

HesNot

Enlightened
Haven't bought a light in quite some time - and my main EDCs are shockingly a modded Novatac 120P with a K2 and trit bezel, and gasp an Arc6 with a K2. Talk about blasts from the past....

Anyway - color me intrigued by this light - but I admit I find the site a little confusing about the groups and modes - does it have 4 levels (5 with bounce) or more than that given the 4+4 description on the site? It appears to come programmed with 8 possible modes in two groups ...

Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere I've been on a flashlight hiatus for a year or so...

archimedes

Flashaholic
The BOSS can be set up with up to 4 modes, in either (or both) of the separate 1-cell and 2-cell configuration groups.

Secondary color output can be used for an (optional) "standard" mode ... and / or ... for an (optional, additional) "bounce" mode

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I find the site a little confusing about the groups and modes - does it have 4 levels (5 with bounce) or more than that given the 4+4 description on the site? It appears to come programmed with 8 possible modes in two groups ...
Sorry for the confusion. v5's mode structure is centered around the ability to change mode groups by switching between 1 battery and 2. So one cell gets 4 modes and two cells gets 4 modes and you switch between each set by changing batteries (typically 1x18650 vs 2x18350). You can see each set next to a battery configuration here:

V5%20-%203%20RLMH%20HMLR.png

The sets are independent and programmed in advance and one can be supplemented with a bounce, creating 4+4+1

HesNot

Enlightened
Sorry for the confusion. v5's mode structure is centered around the ability to change mode groups by switching between 1 battery and 2. So one cell gets 4 modes and two cells gets 4 modes and you switch between each set by changing batteries (typically 1x18650 vs 2x18350).
Thanks! Sorry for the dumb question... I'm definitely in catch up mode on this light. 'm looking at the 35 so 4+1 in my case ... I appreciate the quick reply very very tempting I think I'm due an upgrade... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I know you said you are wanting the BOSS 35, but just a suggestion to not dismiss the 70 too easily. Both the 35 and the 70 are much more compact than you might guess.

x0vOe6R.jpg

Having had a variety of BOSS, I prefer the 70, even for general EDC purposes.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Although I don't use the bounce feature, wouldn't it be active either for both groups, or neither ?
Yes and no. Technically its always active when on but in practice you can only set one level to respond at. So 1 cell on high level bounce triggers to easily on 2 cell high and vice versa. So you would need both sets on similar maximums to have a true 4+4+2.

Thanks! Sorry for the I'm definitely in catch up mode on this light. I'm looking at the 35 so 4+1 in my case ... I appreciate the quick reply very very tempting I think I'm due an upgrade... :)
No worries. We started with technical people and a technical audience and it shows. But need our tech more approachable for all the new guys we are reaching now!

I know you said you are wanting the BOSS 35, but just a suggestion to not dismiss the 70 too easily. Both the 35 and the 70 are much more compact than you might guess.

Thanks. The easiest predictor of preference seems to be hand size but having both is totally sweet. We've also made a new store just for adding parts later (head options coming later this year):

https://www.oveready.com/flashlights/bright-output-small-size/boss-parts/

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I've had both the 70 and 35. I sold the 70 twice, but I just put in an order for a 70 body tube and cap alone. I didn't use the 70 body a lot, but it's always nice to have...

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I've had both the 70 and 35. I sold the 70 twice, but I just put in an order for a 70 body tube and cap alone. I didn't use the 70 body a lot, but it's always nice to have...

I prefer 35 for normal EDC times... but for when staying out longer, the longer runtime of the 70 is a plus! ;)

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just getting used to the fact that my Wasp runs at lower levels.
Ven makes out I'm Mr. Conservative, but I do like the Afterburner!
P

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Announcement

Our next release is this weekend, here are the details:

WHEN
Sunday, June 10 - early afternoon pacific time (after lunch)

WHAT
Frosted Titanium XPL HI 4000k + red (35, 70 & combo)
Frosted Titanium XPL HI 4000k + amber (35, 70 & combo)
Frosted Titanium 219c 4000k + red (35, 70 & combo)
Frosted Titanium 219c 4000k + amber (35, 70 & combo)
Frosted Titanium Crenelated Bezel Rings

WHERE
Our BOSS store now has three sections
Flashlights - whole 35 and 70, with combo upgrades
Components - heads and bodies
Accessories - bezels, beads, caps, etc

HOW
First shipping is scheduled for Tuesday (12)
Second shipping is scheduled for Friday (15)

UPDATES
We will update this thread as things occur
Visit our new community directory from any device
http://controlthedark.com

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened

x0vOe6R.jpg

So true, my Boss 35 arrived, way faster than I expected, and it is much smaller than it seemed on my computer screen. It is a great little light. It is shorter than the Hanko TTT.

On high I am guessing that it is showing the age of some of my AW cells. On certain cells I have an immediate output step down on high. I am guessing the the cell cannot supply the current required. On other cells I have no step down. Unfortunatly I did not mark the cells so I could track their performance, but I have found the ones that function.