• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple Scout / E Series Heads

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I am having trouble programming this light. I could get it into program mode (on, off 3x and click on on 4th) but it doesn't seem to want to download anything from the Lux RC website. Is it because I am using my iPad? Thought other people were able to program it with the iPad?
iPhones and iPads are the most tested among our group. Two possibilities come to mind:
1) its not actually in programming mode. If you leave the red mode from 222 alone for a bit, does it start to flash?
2) screen brightness is not high enough. crank it all way the way up and leave the flashing red on it for 2+ green/green cycles

I'm running the Scout Head with 2x Primaries, so max lumens for me should be 1010.52.
It gets warm fairly quick... my understanding is that once it reaches 150F it will step down. I've tried lowering the temperature step down in advanced settings but it doesn't let me, probably because I'm on an iPhone.
Is 150F low enough to avoid fading or damage to the led? Or should I still be aware of the heat and step the light down on my own?
On max this thing must get hot instantly!
v5 components are certified up to 248F, the point at which the board will enforce dimming, even if thermal regulation is disabled. Web temperature settings are locked to prevent you setting above 150, for personal safety.

Videos in section H, allow you to set it all the way down to 90F:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403685

Links to these videos are also posted to BOSS sales pages.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
iPhones and iPads are the most tested among our group. Two possibilities come to mind:
1) its not actually in programming mode. If you leave the red mode from 222 alone for a bit, does it start to flash?
2) screen brightness is not high enough. crank it all way the way up and leave the flashing red on it for 2+ green/

Thanks I was able to get it! Love how smart this head is. Decided to do mode 28 (17w) and mode 10 3(36mW) on a single IMR16340 battery.

Just to confirm, I probably can't safely go any higher than mode 28 on 1 IMR16340 correct? I can't go the full 100% afterburn mode right?

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks I was able to get it! Love how smart this head is. Decided to do mode 28 (17w) and mode 10 3(36mW) on a single IMR16340 battery.

Just to confirm, I probably can't safely go any higher than mode 28 on 1 IMR16340 correct? I can't go the full 100% afterburn mode right?

Yes, no higher than more 28. I wouldn't worry about it, though, as the head will automatically restrict the highest mode to 28 even if you set it higherZ

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, no higher than more 28. I wouldn't worry about it, though, as the head will automatically restrict the highest mode to 28 even if you set it higherZ

Thanks!!! Thought so, just wanted to confirm.

Love this head so much had to buy another one. I'm hooked. Time to save up for the BOSS!

Jonas

Newly Enlightened
Well, i plan on using a 16340 battery with my E1B. I don't think 18350 batteries will fit in my backup, will it? As for mode, I would like to use as many lumens as I can get with a pretty good runtime. So mode 28? Safe to use on 1 16340 battery?

I know I will prob won't get a nice runtime especially on high only but this will only serve as a back up light. I have a Surefire titan for edc. Plus I can always keep spare 16340 batteries in my bag.

Sorry for the late answer!

It seems that most things have been addressed already.
No, 18350 won't fit in a stock E1B.

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on the edge, have a head in my cart, along with some switches & more batteries.

What I want to know is dimensionally (apparently not a word) how does this compare to say a Haiku head, LS20, PD, etc... I've got some AOTH holsters that work with the McGizmo line (Haiku is e-series compatible I believe). This head looks like it flares out a bit and is wider by the lens then it is at the threads (or it just may be a perspective issue).

I'm out on the road right now so I cannot measure my McGizmo - in Don's intro to it he gives the length, but not diameter.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
These heads are just a hair under 1" in diameter. They use the same bezel as the BOSS.

There is no taper or flare to the head shape.

Stoneking

Enlightened
I'm on the edge, have a head in my cart, along with some switches & more batteries.

What I want to know is dimensionally (apparently not a word) how does this compare to say a Haiku head, LS20, PD, etc... I've got some AOTH holsters that work with the McGizmo line (Haiku is e-series compatible I believe). This head looks like it flares out a bit and is wider by the lens then it is at the threads (or it just may be a perspective issue).

I'm out on the road right now so I cannot measure my McGizmo - in Don's intro to it he gives the length, but not diameter.

Haiku head and Scout head are the same diameter. Haiku head is 1 7/16 length, Scout head is 1 3/16 length.
http://i.imgur.com/Rb2qqOm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SBddv4v.jpg

Pull the trigger, the Scout head is absolutely worth every penny!! Hope this helps.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haiku head and Scout head are the same diameter. Haiku head is 1 7/16 length, Scout head is 1 3/16 length.
http://i.imgur.com/Rb2qqOm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SBddv4v.jpg

Pull the trigger, the Scout head is absolutely worth every penny!! Hope this helps.

Trigger to be pulled. I have Wasp V5 (have it with me now up in Canada, Tl50s, zero rez tail, ano'd clip - Promethesus I think), V5 drop in, V5 copper, 2 Boss heads, so this would make it an even half dozen. I think I'll be selling alot of lesser lights if I spend anytime at home.

Oh and thank you for enabling me....

Stoneking

Enlightened
Trigger to be pulled. I have Wasp V5 (have it with me now up in Canada, Tl50s, zero rez tail, ano'd clip - Promethesus I think), V5 drop in, V5 copper, 2 Boss heads, so this would make it an even half dozen. I think I'll be selling alot of lesser lights if I spend anytime at home.

Oh and thank you for enabling me....

Man.... a Wasp, I'd love one of those.
I've noticed that everyone is an enabler on here, just doing my part.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I mainly have this light on high, 100%. I don't use this light for constant on for an extended period of time, so mainly just momentary. Is there a more likely chance for an LED to break or the circuit board to melt, if I mainly use this light for momentary and once a while constant on?

Just concerned of reliability for long time use in the end. Want this head to last a while

AndyF

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I mainly have this light on high, 100%. I don't use this light for constant on for an extended period of time, so mainly just momentary. Is there a more likely chance for an LED to break or the circuit board to melt, if I mainly use this light for momentary and once a while constant on?

Just concerned of reliability for long time use in the end. Want this head to last a while

Don't they have thermal protection?.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast

First, I'm not an expert on this topic :D

I'm guessing the question is regarding the longevity of the light given the extreme output levels and power it feeds on :)

I'm confident that Torchlab/Oveready team has spent a lot of time on designing this light to last a very long time, and have put it through pretty extensive testing to ensure the reliability and durability.

With that said, keep in mind that the BOSS heads have replaceable boards and optics that if the led was to fail, it can be replaced.

Lastly, given the track record of OR/Torchlab's customer service, I think you'll be in good hands for a long time to come...

I know, I'm a fan :twothumbs

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, thanks for the info euroken!! That's good to hear they put it out to some harsh testing. Was just curious cause the head gets pretty hot really fast and was wondering if it blowing out was a possibility.

That is interesting that the BOSS has replaceable boards and optics and the E- series one don't.

Guess I just have to pick myself up a BOSS then. Ha

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, thanks for the info euroken!! That's good to hear they put it out to some harsh testing. Was just curious cause the head gets pretty hot really fast and was wondering if it blowing out was a possibility.

That is interesting that the BOSS has replaceable boards and optics and the E- series one don't.

Guess I just have to pick myself up a BOSS then. Ha

As Electronguru always say, getting hot quickly is a good sign. It means that the head is drawing the heat from the source as fast as possible and helping it to dissipate heat. If it DIDN'T get hot quickly, I'd be more worried.

Here is the chart that you can take a look to see what the differences are in OR/Torchlab products:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...30w-limit-Screen-Programable-Dual-Mode-Groups