Various tubes' generations

Tachikoma

Enlightened
I'd really like to see a direct image comparison of gen 1, 2, 3 and 4 tubes, could someone please post it? :thumbsup:
Is it true that gen 4 are restricted to military even in the US?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have pics but I have compared my Gen 3 to a Gen 4 side by side and the only difference is under *extremely* low light conditions where "Gen 4" has less scintillation. I have not subjected either to high light conditions but the "Gen 4" is supposed to have less halo under high light conditions. From what I've seen, I would not pay the premium for something that is more of a Gen 3++ than a true "Gen 4". I think "Gen 4" is a misnomer. It should be called Gen 3++. It doesn't represent new generation technology.

I don't believe "Gen 4" is restricted. However, Gen 3 and "Gen 4" are governed by export restrictions in the US (see ITAR).

Last edited:

Tachikoma

Enlightened
One clarification: I've heard that XD-4 tubes are referred as better gen3, but some reseller defines them gen4....which is the truth?:thinking:

IPSC_GUY

Newly Enlightened
What exactly are you referring to when you use the term "gen 4?"

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Tachikoma

Enlightened
That's exactly the point, I don't even know what it is but some resellers list gen4 nvgs on their site :confused:

IPSC_GUY

Newly Enlightened
That's exactly the point, I don't even know what it is but some resellers list gen4 nvgs on their site :confused:

The term Gen 4 is "sort of" defined as film less technology that ITT never really got to work well. The test tubes had a short life span and as far as I know NONE of them EVER got beyond the test phase. The experiment however DID lead to the thin film Autogated tubes of the OMNI 7 contract.

So NO gen 4 actually exists, it is marketing hype. Kind of like the whole PVS-14 Delta... NO such animal exists there either.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA