Very limited diffuse reflector going on sale

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not digging mine. Gonna give it a few more days.

Just feels like it takes too much away. With the reflector, I can dial down indoors. But diffused, I run out of brightness outdoors.

In my opinion, this special reflector could be useful, but only if it were permanently fixed to a dedicated indoor / reading light.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not digging mine. Gonna give it a few more days.

Just feels like it takes too much away. With the reflector, I can dial down indoors. But diffused, I run out of brightness outdoors.

I'm sure there's several people here who would buy it from you

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any of the diffuse reflectors will kill throw. In the house, in the yard, or just around camp they are great... if you need to reach out... nope. I keep a dedicated up close light which is what I use the reflector on.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I've got 2 hds I keep close by right now. A 4500 & a 5000. I just have to decide if 1 can be indoor only & if it's pocketable, or it's the 18650. Probably wind up on its own bezel in a drawer

CRKDMike

Enlightened
Exact opposite for me. The semi-diffuse reflector just made my clicky perfect, and locatable in the dark without the slightly annoying locator flash. Not to mention the green on black looks really sharp.
The loss in throw is negligible for me. However, I use my clicky mostly around the house.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm all for novelty and I don't mind paying HDS prices for HDS quality, but I agree that the standard reflector is the business.
well, with your double beryl/barrel pocket holster...you could have standard and diffused options:poke:

Hogo is a bad man... We know this will be 90% diffuse...but then we also know he has more diffuse plans on the horizon. So people interested have to try to get in on all of them as we don't have details of upcoming variants.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, with your double beryl/barrel pocket holster...you could have standard and diffused options:poke:

Hogo is a bad man... We know this will be 90% diffuse...but then we also know he has more diffuse plans on the horizon. So people interested have to try to get in on all of them as we don't have details of upcoming variants.

I know what some will be... but not how they will behave on the sphere.
For October, it will be a 90% diffuse orange. November should be 90% diffuse blue. Initial testing shows the initial brightness dims quickly, but the glow seems to last dimly for several hours. Hoping to get the orange on the sphere on Monday to see what it effects CRI and temp wise. Doubt these others will raise CRI because of where the color falls in the spectrum, but will have to see.
The other diffuse reflectors being worked on... don't know if they will ever make it out into folks hands as they are still being worked on. We will have to see.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exact opposite for me. The semi-diffuse reflector just made my clicky perfect, and locatable in the dark without the slightly annoying locator flash. Not to mention the green on black looks really sharp.
The loss in throw is negligible for me. However, I use my clicky mostly around the house.

Yeah, we definitely have different use patterns, mine is either in my pocket or on the nightstand. And I use it more outside with my dog. Couldn't even see accross the yard , much less the back fence with the diffuse. But, it was nice indoors, kind of mule-ish, but little more throwy. & the green glow definitely looks cool.

CRKDMike

Enlightened
Yeah, we definitely have different use patterns, mine is either in my pocket or on the nightstand. And I use it more outside with my dog. Couldn't even see accross the yard , much less the back fence with the diffuse. But, it was nice indoors, kind of mule-ish, but little more throwy. & the green glow definitely looks cool.

Makes sense, and in the end, isn't it great how customizable these lights are!?
Thanks for all of these great options Henry and Dan!
It really allows users to dial in the perfect setup for their needs/wants.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
A defused reflector shouldn't have any throw. 15 feet or so. Unless your in a tent, in the house or walking down a nice tight path at night. If you get it for throw your going to be disappointed.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is strictly for walking down a path I barely fit through. Then looking in my pack when I get in my tree stand. Can't beat it

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yep. That's the reason you buy this type of a accessory. The name of it kinda says it all😊

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be interested to see how the orange turns out. With all the different emitters i have, i could probably spare a light or 2 for diffuse reflector

redryder

Enlightened
Hogo - Do you know what would happen if you only painted half of the reflector? For example, if you only painted the half near the led would you get a 50% diffuse reflector?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo - Do you know what would happen if you only painted half of the reflector? For example, if you only painted the half near the led would you get a 50% diffuse reflector?

I don't think so. The process we used would actually make it impossible to only do half the reflector. It isn't a paint we use but a mix of phosphor and a special two part clear epoxy. The surface tension is important as it runs down the reflector, then it is turned over so that it runs toward the front of the reflector, and this process is repeated every few minutes for 8-10 hours with the interval slowing as the compound sets. For the first hour, they have to be turned about every 2 minutes, after that is slows down quite a bit. They are also heated during this process. Each one gets two coats. I'm the one flipping them off... and I hate making them. Kills an entire 2.5 days to make 20 of the stinking things. This is also done over the regular reflective coating. Want as much "glow" as possible. The final step is another coating over the top to help diffuse it more.