Video Review: Astrolux S41 Quad Emitter 18350 flashlight

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
But not hi cri and ZL costs more than twice as much

Not only that. There's also the beam. For many situations, a floody 'wall of light' just works better. The output is actually good enough to throw better than you might think. But at the same time, light is produced over a VERY wide angle - practically a whole hemisphere! I particularly like the way that, when out hiking at night, the ground right in front of my feet is well lit with the light pointed straight forward. Typically, the ground is dark a good 3-4 feet ahead of my feet with a typical single emitter reflector style light. I don't have to aim the light downward if I need to watch my step. And I can EASILY see where I step out of the corner of my eye.

As for the size and weight, I think it's fine. In fact, sometimes a beefier light just feels BETTER in your hands while hiking. It's certainly heavier than many smaller lights. But not so much that it is tiring to carry.

One more thing. If you buy this light, I consider the 18650 tube to be absolutely essential. Although some people here might like 'shorty' lights, runtime is just too short with a 16340/18350 for the light to be useful on anything but the lower modes. The 18650 tube gives the light usable runtime on the higher modes. And it actually makes the light more comfortable to carry on a hike.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Because if discussions of possible short circuit risk I'm afraid to even leave a battery in mine. Never gets any use at all. It is pretty and bright. Wish I never heard of that potential problem. Would likely never happen but never lets me feel at ease.

But then I won't buy new ZL either due to need to use unprotected icr.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because if discussions of possible short circuit risk I'm afraid to even leave a battery in mine. Never gets any use at all. It is pretty and bright. Wish I never heard of that potential problem. Would likely never happen but never lets me feel at ease.

But then I won't buy new ZL either due to need to use unprotected icr.

I think you're being paranoid. Just because you pull the pin on a grenade doesn't mean it will explode. Then again, you probably don't want to keep it in your front pants pocket either. However, there is an upside. Being a former public safety officer, I would be more than happy to take any unexploded ordinance off your hands

recDNA

Flashaholic
I think you're being paranoid. Just because you pull the pin on a grenade doesn't mean it will explode. Then again, you probably don't want to keep it in your front pants pocket either. However, there is an upside. Being a former public safety officer, I would be more than happy to take any unexploded ordinance off your hands
And of course my intent was to carry it in my pocket with a battery in it.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be safer carrying the grenade (if your done having kids). Waiting to see what Vinh has done to rectify it

Edward78

Newly Enlightened
Bear in mind that you CAN get an 18650 battery tube for the S14 for just a few more bucks. In fact, I would consider the 18650 tube MANDATORY for this light. It actually makes it a practical and usable light.

I would have to agree, if you plan to use this light on the 2 higher output settings I would definitely get the 18650 tube for it. But I have and love this light.

Edward

Naam Penn

Newly Enlightened
Re: Video Review: Astrolux S41 Quad Emitter 18350 flashlight - Quality Control??

What are the experiences of others with product quality? My experiences are not good.

June 2017 I ordered the similar Astrolux S42 with the Nichia emitters and the 18650 tube from BangGood as part of a Budget Light Forum group buy. From the outset it was a disappointment as was the service from BangGood. For some unknown reason the light would not work with the 18650 tube. I had another 18650 light with the same threads and it worked with that. It was a challenge to get BangGood to accept a simple inexpensive fix of replacing the tube. The switch is wonky too. It has intermittent issues where it hangs up, requires multiple presses, or won't work at all until it is good and ready. If I had it to do over again I would have returned it and requested a refund.

I have had some OK experiences with direct from China vendors and lights, but it isn't worth it on the gamble to me anymore.

Fenix and Zebralights have been utterly reliable so I would rather spend the extra cash for something that always works.