Video Review: Lumintop IYP365 Pen-sized Flashlight (Nichia 219BT, 2xAAA)

mhanlen

Enlightened
Lumintop IYP-365 Penlight Review

Lumintop contacted me about reviewing their new penlight, the IYP-365. It was available in a Nichia version, so I said yes. I don't normally carry a lot of penlights, because I like a larger EDC- but after carrying it for a few weeks now I'm really liking it. You get about an hour of good brightness out of 2xAAA eneloops, and 130 lumens is good enough for most stuff I do.

Anyway, I test outputs, runtimes, and do a beamshot section. Thanks for watching.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Nice job as always Mr. Hanlen!

Though I don't normally go for penlights (single-cell AAA and AA lights are generally bright enough for most of my needs), I do like most of Lumintop's recent offerings, and this one is tempting. I was glad to see that the switch appears to be an ordinary, fully mechanical, reverse clicky -- and not the newfangled electronic doohickey that they introduced in the recent Tool Ti.

Just an observation: the body shape and clip on this new penlight is very reminiscent of the Preon P2. I realize there's only so much one can do with a metal tube, but I feel like it would have been more ... well, Genuine to style this penlight as a 2xAAA version of the Tool, rather than taking their design cues from elsewhere in the market. :/

Other than that, the mode order being wrong (as you pointed out) is my only reservation. But that's outweighed pretty mightily by the Nichia option, the current-controlled driver, the properly low low-mode, and the bargain price. Yep, this one is very tempting.

mhanlen

Enlightened
I'm not necessarily a penlight guy either. I have this one and a few of the BLF-348s. While the BLF-348 is smaller and has a tint that is more popular... I still prefer this to the BLF-348. The BLF is a single mode... you either run it with a lithium ion, and it heats up fast or you're good with 40 something lumens on a AAA. The mode spacing, and modes in general are more useful to me on this light... and the diameter is nice for the pocket. Pocket carry of EDC lights is subjective thing, but it's usually the diameter that bothers me before the length. Insert joke. I'd like the low to be a bit lower... but most people (not people on this forum) probably think a half lumen mode is too low for this type of light.

And yes, the price is right. It's not a perfect light, but there are many nice things about it. Plus I don't consider penlights perfect EDC lights anyway.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Nice Sean Connery impression!

:laughing:

This light is pretty tempting because of the Nichia option and the clicky switch... I like the fact that it turns on in Medium mode (would be my most used mode). I kinda wish they matched the lumen output between the two different emitter options rather than matching the runtimes...

How is the pocket clip? Pretty decent or cheapish/flimsy?

FNG

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. It's just coincidence that I started looking for a 2xAAA penlight yesterday. I also saw the thread on Reddit but not sure if you're more active here or there but...

I repair flexible endoscopes and sometimes use a light to inspect things like inside of a biopsy channel or various other things. The light would be mostly used on a workbench so starting off in low mode is not needed or preferred.

I use this microscope (personally owned) that has a 1W LED. It is plenty bright when working with something that's on the bench under magnification but is cumbersome to move the whole microscope/goose neck to view something off the table.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C75IVM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Do you have any other penlights for a direct comparison? Someone mentioned in the YouTube comments that they had a ThruNite Ti4T and you said that this Lumintop is not an upgrade. Why is that? Besides ThruNite and the IYP365, other models I found in this category was the Preon 2 (apparently the new gen is close to $50) and Nitecore MT06.

I was about to order the IYP 365 because of your review but didn't because of the Ti4T comment. I think I like it better than the other options mainly because of the Nichia 219BT (I still prefer using the incans in my sig over LEDs) but color rendition is not a #1 priority for this specific use which is for inspection is tight places/crevices.

EDIT:

Just purchased the IYP365 and paid the extra $4 for overnight shipping so I should have it Thursday.

Last edited:

mhanlen

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. It's just coincidence that I started looking for a 2xAAA penlight yesterday. I also saw the thread on Reddit but not sure if you're more active here or there but...

I repair flexible endoscopes and sometimes use a light to inspect things like inside of a biopsy channel or various other things. The light would be mostly used on a workbench so starting off in low mode is not needed or preferred.

I use this microscope (personally owned) that has a 1W LED. It is plenty bright when working with something that's on the bench under magnification but is cumbersome to move the whole microscope/goose neck to view something off the table.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C75IVM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Do you have any other penlights for a direct comparison? Someone mentioned in the YouTube comments that they had a ThruNite Ti4T and you said that this Lumintop is not an upgrade. Why is that? Besides ThruNite and the IYP365, other models I found in this category was the Preon 2 (apparently the new gen is close to $50) and Nitecore MT06.

I was about to order the IYP 365 because of your review but didn't because of the Ti4T comment. I think I like it better than the other options mainly because of the Nichia 219BT (I still prefer using the incans in my sig over LEDs) but color rendition is not a #1 priority for this specific use which is for inspection is tight places/crevices.

EDIT:

Just purchased the IYP365 and paid the extra $4 for overnight shipping so I should have it Thursday.

Just going on specs alone... The thrunite appears to go lower and have a higher mode. Now I don't know the quality of the "neutral tint" on the thrunite, so maybe the Lumintop is nicer?

I don't have a problem recommending this light... But if someone already owns a light with slightly better specs- I'd never suggest them to get this one too. Conversely I'd see no reason to get the thrunite if you're happy with this.

mhanlen

Enlightened
How's the tension on the clicky switch? I'm wondering how likely it is to activate unintentionally in one's pocket...

It never happened to me in a weeks worth of jacket pocket and pants pocket carry. The button is rather large and it needs a good solid center click to activate.

Nice Sean Connery impression!

:laughing:

This light is pretty tempting because of the Nichia option and the clicky switch... I like the fact that it turns on in Medium mode (would be my most used mode). I kinda wish they matched the lumen output between the two different emitter options rather than matching the runtimes...

How is the pocket clip? Pretty decent or cheapish/flimsy?

Its one of my favorite SNL skits! The clip is thin. It cant be bent fairly easily with the hand. I mean I don't see myself breaking it- but its not hard like a Zebralights

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will no longer purchase penlights with a smooth finish which can slip through my hand due to a lack of knurling or other grip enabling feature.

mhanlen

Enlightened
For me knurling doesn't keep that from happening much less than no knurling. True...a perfectly smooth light is easier to slide through your hands- but the larger rear of the light is most useful. I feel that rear section is large enough to stop the light from slipping through my fingers should it get wet or sweaty.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Is this able to use two 10440?

I've not heard anyone who has tried. The manual doesn't state it as compatible either. I have a single 10440 light or two and they heat up fast. Those are pretty uncomfortable to hold after a few minutes. Dual 10440s in a light this size is pretty uncommon outside of the modding community... Probably because of safety.

Duramarks

Newly Enlightened
I wish there was a possibility of using two parallel. For a little more power and all I have is 11440's in the AAA size rechargeables.

mhanlen

Enlightened
I wish there was a possibility of using two parallel. For a little more power and all I have is 11440's in the AAA size rechargeables.

Yeah the batteries in here are in series for sure. I agree it'd kind of be cool to do that. Provided the high mode was regulated... Which would be ideal in a light this size for runtimes over extreme brightness. For a penlight, anything over 200 lumen is kind of excessive.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one incoming. Intrigued about the low low, wish it came in first vs medium though. Hate blinding someone on pupil reflex test accidentally

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Yeah the batteries in here are in series for sure. I agree it'd kind of be cool to do that. Provided the high mode was regulated... Which would be ideal in a light this size for runtimes over extreme brightness. For a penlight, anything over 200 lumen is kind of excessive.

I have an Olight O'pen and the high mode is about 250 lumens and it is great as often in daytime I need a lot of light back in a dark place under or inside or down in a drain 10 feet deep outside in daylight and it is helpful.. it has a 50 lumen medium which I use about as much as the 5 lumen low mode. For my uses a higher medium isn't needed as the penlight has a narrow beam to begin with.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review! Thanks for the time you spent creating it.

I have thought about getting one of these high-CRI Nichia 219B penlights ever since I saw a couple of the videos by virtuovice ("Hello, flashlight people!") on YouTube. The Foursevens Preon P2 is the one that was popular a couple of years ago.

One thing I like about this form factor is that two Eneloops in series produce a nominal 2.4 volts. That is not quite enough to drive a typical emitter, including the low-voltage Nichia 219B. That means that flashlight designers have no choice but to use a boost driver. Excellent!

I like boost drivers because they maintain continuous output, even when a battery gets low. A good design should include step-downs as voltage wanes. Otherwise, it should give a visible warning when batteries get low. That way you won't get surprised when a battery is exhausted, and your boost-driver/flashlight goes dark.

There are good arguments for other driver types, as well, but I personally prefer the predictable output provided by a boost driver.

At present, I often carry the 1xAAA Astrolux A01 Nichia 219B flashlight. It is a very small twisty that has 3 constant modes. Compared to a penlight, of course, the A01 is more comfortable for carry in a pants pocket. In a jacket, however, the penlight would be fine.

Compared to the A01, the extended runtimes of a 2xAAA penlight are a big plus, as is the slightly brighter High mode.

FNG

Enlightened
The comfort level between a 1xAAA and 2xAAA is negligible if you carry a pen.

Latest posts