Vosla HIR2 +30% vs +50%?

vibenvy

Newly Enlightened
I currently have Vosla HIR2 +30% bulbs (from GM) in the low beams of my 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT. I was browsing the Candle Power Store and noticed they're selling Vosla HIR2 +50% bulbs. Are these actually better than my current Voslas or no? Also, I am wanting to replace the front and rear turn signal bulbs (fronts double as "parking lights") since they are the original 11 year old bulbs. I noticed these 3457s listed as an upgrade. Would these indeed be an upgrade over the amber 3457 bulbs that I currently have or no? And, are these any better than the current amber 7440 bulbs I have? Thanks in advance!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I currently have Vosla HIR2 +30% bulbs (from GM) in the low beams of my 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT. I was browsing the Candle Power Store and noticed they're selling Vosla HIR2 +50% bulbs. Are these actually better than my current Voslas or no?

Maybe a slight little bit, not enough better to justify replacing working +30s. The +120s, just beginning to enter the general-distribution pipeline, are enough better than the +30 to be worth switching, assuming a tolerable price point and a priority on maximum seeing even at the expense of shorter bulb life.

I am wanting to replace the front and rear turn signal bulbs (fronts double as "parking lights") since they are the original 11 year old bulbs. I noticed these 3457s listed as an upgrade. Would these indeed be an upgrade over the amber 3457 bulbs that I currently have

No. They aren't some special unusual amber 3457. The upgrade claims on the page you linked are in comparison to 3157 bulbs, not to other 3457s. Two points on this: (1) 3357 and 3457 are identical except the 3457 has a higher heat tolerant base. (2) You can get better and cheaper amber 3457s, like these or these, or you can get the same lower-quality ones CP is selling for cheaper, too, here ($5.99/pair v. $4.29/each).

And, are these any better than the current amber 7440 bulbs I have?

We don't know what amber 7440 bulbs you have. The CP ones you linked are fine, but they're not unusually/outstandingly good or anything. See here for info on top-class bulbs including both amber 7440 and amber 3457. Generally more expensive but also more worth it!

vibenvy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response!

I just ordered a pair each of the Honda amber krypton filled 3457s and amber 7440s online through a Honda dealer. Ended up being ~$10 per pair with shipping and all. My Vibe just turned 11, so even if these bulbs don't provide an "improvement" per se, at least I won't have to worry about replacing them again any time soon!

Now, as far as headlight bulbs go, I just stumbled upon an eBay listing for Vosla +120s! Seller seems legit (99.7% positive feedback). Pictures look legit. Are these legit or no? If they are, I will be ordering a pair immediately!

One more question regarding high beam bulbs. I currently have Philips 9011s. Are these Toyota 9011s enough better to justify the price or no? I do quite a bit of nighttime driving on dark country roads and am not afraid of spending the money if they will provide a noticeable improvement over the Philips (which are around a year and a half to two years old).

Thanks, as always, for any and all help!

*EDIT #1: Looking back at my first post on here, it seems the low beam Vosla +30s and the high beam Philips 9011s are actually going on four years old! Definitely time for an upgrade...*

**EDIT #2: While I have your attention, are the Vosla +120 H11s any better than the Philips X-treme Vision +100 H11s? Would like to upgrade the lights for my dad's 15 Chevy Trax too while I'm at it...**

Last edited by a moderator:

Ls400

Enlightened
Your low beam 9012+30s have lasted 4 years? How many miles, and how much nighttime driving?

vibenvy

Newly Enlightened
Unsure of exact miles, but I drive less than 10,000 miles a year total, so...

I don't do a lot of nighttime driving, except during the fall and winter when the time changes.

FWIW, based on my first post here, I installed the bulbs towards the end of January 2016, so not quite four years yet...

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I just ordered a pair each of the Honda amber krypton filled 3457s and amber 7440s online through a Honda dealer. Ended up being ~$10 per pair with shipping and all.

That's a good deal! Another good deal (for those whose Honda dealers won't play ball on price) is this.

The Vosla HIR2 +120 bulbs you found on eBay look legitimate. The Toyota-sold, Toshiba-made HIR1 puts out better light than the Philips HIR1.

are the Vosla +120 H11s any better than the Philips X-treme Vision +100 H11s?

Shop by price, there's not going to be a significant difference between those two. Both excellent bulbs.

vibenvy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for the reassurance!

I'm ordering those Vosla 120s right now!

*EDIT #1: Just ordered the Vosla 120s! As I was paying, the seller jacked the price up to $46.00 a pair, plus $10.00 shipping. Still not bad though.

I also ordered some of the Honda 7443 bulbs to replace my original 11 year old taillight bulbs.

Seriously considering ordering the Toyota HIR1s while I'm at it, since this is the time of year I do alot of nighttime driving on dark country roads.

Thanks as always for all the help and guidance! I will check back in in a week or so once all the new bulbs arrive and I get them installed!

*EDIT #2: I'm going to order the Toyota HIR1s tomorrow! They're doing 10% off everything tomorrow through Friday (use code BF10)!

I am way too excited about getting all these bulbs :D!!!

Last edited:

Ls400

Enlightened
Toshiba-made HIR1 puts out better light than the Philips HIR1.

Not to sidetrack, but given that the OP found his answers...by "better," do you mean "more," or something else? The qualitative qualifier stuck out to me.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to sidetrack, but given that the OP found his answers...by "better," do you mean "more," or something else? The qualitative qualifier stuck out to me.
Sorry, meant more light and higher filament luminance.
You sure you didn't mean "crisper" and "whiter"? :p

At $54.51 is it REALLY that much better than the Philips HIR1, for those for whom money is an object? A scarce, fleeting object? Yes, accidents cost time and money and enjoyment of life but that's quite a premium. (Definitely would move the DRL function away from the high beams using these bulbs.)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
You're right, this is definitely "significantly better" versus "somewhat more significantly better" relative to the original-equipment 9005 bulbs.

vibenvy

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered the Toyota HIR1s for mine and my mom's 09 Pontiac Vibe GTs and my dad's 15 Chevy Trax LT! All said and done, it was $302.xx shipped for 6 bulbs. I saved ~$32.00 with the 10% discount. I don't have any problem spending money on high quality parts for my vehicles. Also, considering my mom and I don't do a lot of nighttime driving, except during the fall and winter, they should last quite a while in the Vibes. Also, the DRLs in both Vibes were disabled years ago, so no worries there. And my dad always "disables" them on the Trax, so, again, not really a concern there either.

*NOTE: I'm a chick ;)!

Ls400

Enlightened
Just ordered the Toyota HIR1s for mine and my mom's 09 Pontiac Vibe GTs and my dad's 15 Chevy Trax LT! All said and done, it was $302.xx shipped for 6 bulbs. I saved ~$32.00 with the 10% discount. I don't have any problem spending money on high quality parts for my vehicles. Also, considering my mom and I don't do a lot of nighttime driving, except during the fall and winter, they should last quite a while in the Vibes. Also, the DRLs in both Vibes were disabled years ago, so no worries there. And my dad always "disables" them on the Trax, so, again, not really a concern there either.

Well, given that you ordered from a Toyota dealer, the parts should come with a 1 year warranty. Even the Conicelli Toyota site says 12 month warranty. Maybe if they burn out within a year Toyota will honor the warranty. No idea if they will--but perhaps worth keeping in mind given that they are expensive bulbs! (Plus, if they do burn out, you can report back to us whether Toyota actually honors any sort of warranty, and if they do happily replace $55 HIR1 bulbs, then perhaps we can adjust our shopping habits accordingly). It seems that they should honor the warranty...if someone goes to Toyota, buys a fuel pump from the parts counter, and it fails in 6 months, they would be well within their rights to request a free replacement... Why not with bulbs, too?

You're right, this is definitely "significantly better" versus "somewhat more significantly better" relative to the original-equipment 9005 bulbs.

So the Toshiba HIR1 is significantly better while the Philips HIR1 is only somewhat significantly better versus OEM 9005, correct? Did you ever find anything more about the Osram/Sylvania HIR1s?

Last edited:

mikered30

Newly Enlightened

*NOTE: I'm a chick ;)!

Please let us know if these are still Toshiba bulbs, and if they are made in Japan. I do not think they will honor any warranty if you trim these bulbs.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I like the Toshiba HIR1's output enough better to pay for them. I'm still interested to take a look at the Osram-Sylvania HIR1 that's been discussed here recently, but haven't had a chance yet.

JasonOk

Newly Enlightened
I put the toshibas 9011 bulbs in my daily about two years ago just burned one out, work scheldule is they are always on in the mornings and about half the year on at night 5 days a week every week with some extended night driving typical work to home drive is 45 mins somebody more concerned feel free to do the math

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Got the Vosla 9012 +120 yesterday and I would say its a BIG improvement over the regular Philips 9012 LL that I'm using. Its brighter at every aspect and at $55 bucks for the pair its really worth the upgrade.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Santa just delivered 4 of the Vosla 9012 +120 bulbs today, will install soon and give my thoughts vs the +30s in use currently.