walmart has many solar lights on clerance

raggie33

*the raggedier*
at least mine did iadded some becuase i kept steping on stray cats. man o man id be bummed for weeks. not sure why they didnt move i just didnt see them

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now seems to be that time of year a lot of solar lights are cleared out. I have more than enough, lots to use up, but occasionally
pick up something different or unique, or better than what I have, often marked way down.

Solar lights here have a different lifetime if left out in winter snow and ice. Some otherwise just give in to moisture leakage and
corrosion, or physical damage.

I saw a set of four orange flame-effect stake type lamps for $6, but passed as they use 2/3 AAA (I like to have easy replacements
if the lamp outlasts the cell). Dollar Tree here has a square flickering lantern for $1.50 everyday (when they have them).

Pack of six filament-LED stake lamps was $10, nice but took a pass; still lots to use up (maybe if price goes down further...)

Dave

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
at least mine did iadded some becuase i kept steping on stray cats. man o man id be bummed for weeks. not sure why they didnt move i just didnt see them

I stepped on my mom's cat's foot one night in her darkened basement many years ago. It was nearly pitch black and I had no idea she was there. She yelped and ran up and hid under the bed. They can see you in the dark so they must assume you can see them when you can't.

scout24

Flashaholic
I got a few today at my local Wallyworld, brought them home to extract the solar "panels" and 2/3AA batteries. I'll be going back tomorrow for more. I was pleasantly suprised, warm white5mm led's and a Westinghouse branded cell for 50 cents each on clearance.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thing I've noticed over the years is the $1 kind last just as long as the pricer kind and the solar panels don't cloud over like some of the pricier ones (read $5-10 kind) I've bought.

scout24

Flashaholic
Byk- I have had the same experience as you with the cheap solar lights. These are actual glass panels, and I've found that the battery is usually the most suspect part of the equation.these Westinghouse branded cells are a far cry from the usualno-name cells in these. I have no delusions that these will last a long time, believe me. I want them for indoor power outage use, and to cannibalize parts to make AA solar chargers. (I'll post a pic or two when done. 😁) Pics of the 50 cent clearance lights below.

Basic light. 5mm is warm, not yellow in person. Components and cells I'm using for another project... 😁 Which is why I'm going back for more today.
20220906_082831.jpg
20220906_082906.jpg
20220906_083031.jpg

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pack of six filament-LED stake lamps was $10, nice but took a pass; still lots to use up (maybe if price goes down further...)

Dave
Clearance price dropped to $6.50, almost 60% off (less than $7.50 after tax, under $1.50 each). Nice little lights also Westinghouse brand. They use AAA which is good to up the capacity or if the lights outlive their cells which are easily replaced. It takes a bit of effort, sadly in most cases I suspect they get tossed.

Dave

Actually only a 5-pack but what the heck.

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like getting deals on things especially well below normal price point. However, Dollar tree sells basic "rocket" style solar lights every day for $1.25 ($1.50 in Canada). I have had a few of these apart and find their quality pretty good. I got a small spotlight (which isn't terribly bright, but OK given the cost) and more recently orange flickering lantern, which are holding up well so far.

Dave

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the? What kind of batteries are those? What's the voltage?

You got me thinking now, I should see if my local Walmart/Dollartree has those, be great for my front walkway.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH 2/3-AA which is just a shortened AA with (usually) lower capacity; same voltage 1.25v. Some other lights have 2/3-AAA or even 1/3-AAA cells. These fit better into smaller light designs, as well as "right-sizing" cell capacity given the LED current/run-time and solar panel capacity; as well as keeping cost down. I prefer AA or AAA wherever possible.

Dave

scout24

Flashaholic
Dave_H- Agreed on "3/3" sized cells being preferrable for a myriad of reasons. I went back to Walmart, all my 50 cent lights were gone. ☹️ Waiting on 2xAA battery holders, my little project should still be a go.