Water Bottles: What do you use?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the polarbottle website: How cool is that?

[FONT=&quot]All Polar Bottles are manufactured in Colorado, USA with parts sourced from Denver, CO and Garden City, MO.

[/FONT]

fuyume

Enlightened
For clean water storage, two Nalgene HDPE 1 L, which are half the weight of the polycarbonate versions, but I carry a polycarbonate one to actually drink out of, because they are transparent, and I often mix drinks in them, so it's easier to see if there's any growth in them. The HDPE ones get water only, and I don't even touch a mouth to them. I also carry a green HDPE one for a urine bottle, because I hate getting out of my tent in the middle of the night to go pee.

woodsmith

Newly Enlightened
The last couple years I refilled empty gatorade bottles (actually made it over a year on the same one) but this spring I saw Nalgene Oasis 32 oz in a local shop so I've been using a pair those. I like that they are a bit more narrow so easier to fit in pockets. I actually prefer the rectangular bottles that seem to be standard issue for wildland fire but the caps on those are crap. I think I still have one or two bottles but no caps.

A few years ago I found a new version of a Platypus bottle that was a softer, more pliable plastic then the ones I had way back (late '90's?), with a hang loop at the top. I really liked that one for work but punctured it...when I went back for a replacement, all the Platy bottles were made from that old, less pliable material, so I didn't get one (thus my interim use of Gatorade bottles).

Does anyone know if any of the currently available Platy bottles are made from the softer material?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a couple bpa-free Nalgene 1 liter water bottles. One has a two stage Lifestraw water filter in it. I gave up on hydration pack water bladders when one leaked on me 25 miles back on a backpacking trip.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My boss gave me a 1/2 litre "water bottle" by a company called 'ocean bottle'. It's actually pretty nice. A textured plastic sleeve that surrounds a double wall stainless vessel. A screw off/on cap is completely sealed when fastened. That is attached to a sealed lid that when removed opens up the vessel, which allows ice cubes to be placed inside if you choose. I filled it last night with chilled water and no ice. This afternoon the water was still cool.

Now this thing has an app. Yes, there's an app to store information derived from an NFC chip in the cup. Some kinda thing where when you refill at certain filling stations you wave the cup over your smart phone to get points. Like X number of water bottles that did not reach the ocean. Supposedly just buying the "water bottle" gives you credit for saving 150,000 plastic bottles from reaching the ocean. So you can stay hydrated while saving the planet (according to ocean bottle).

Me? I'm a tin foil hat guy so I glued foil over the NFC chip. Aint nobody's bizness where me and my "water bottle" go. Refill at a Kroger grocery store and next thing you know, (more) spam emails. No thanks. But it's a mighty fine vessel for storing hot or cold liquids.

0CF22291-2E60-4070-92C0-216B85C9704A.jpeg

The vessel vs a 2 and 3 C flashlight

4E8BD75C-2A08-4EFF-983A-759BC3508861.jpeg

The dual fill system

D726A0B4-C0F2-4B0F-B3A4-BD6F6CACA4A7.jpeg

The NFC chip blocker

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I just use an old camel back insulated water bottle. Meets all my needs and has a clip point on it.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Sigg bottles but once I had some kind of metal bottle that was made in USA, don't remember the brand though. Also some USGI canteens and Osprey British Army ones.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Whichever company makes the promotional bottles for Kershaw and Zero Tolerance. Currently using the 20 ounce ZT as my main water bottle at work. I do recommend it. No issues with it. (And yes, I do realize that the Kershaw branded one which is essentially the very same water bottle is $10.oo less expensive. So a better deal. I own both. The Kershaw is away in storage.)

My old water bottle for a handful of years used to be a Hydro Flask right around the same number of ounces. Pricey, but I figured it would last me at least a couple of decades.... Until it developed what looks like Black mold on the bottom of the inside. Noticed it one day when the purified water tasted a bit funny. Took a closer look, couldn't believe what I saw! Keep in mind, the ONLY liquid I ever put in that Hydro Flask was purified water over the years. So yeah, I'm done with that company. My ZT costs almost half as much and gets the very same job done; while also fitting in the side-pocket of my work-bag just like my old Hydro Flask. (Thought about getting some baking soda and using a bottle brush I already own to try and clean the Hydro Flask. But, I'm never going to be able to trust it again. So, I'm just going to chuck it.)

I refill my ZT with purified water from home, using a 46 ounce YETI water bottle as my ZT stays in my bag in my car. (I decided to see if YETI weighed in on the big controversy regarding their company. They did. Their explanation made sense. So, I bought one of their bottles.)

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of these Polar Bottles in my CERT bag, ready to go, but I haven't used them yet. If I'm going somewhere, I just grab a bottle of water out of a package from the supermarket.

1687999417248.png

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For around the house, currently I use Icelandic 1 litre bottles and Fiji half litre 6 packs from time to time and refill those from bulk water supply water kegs. It makes it easy to keep up with consumption. After a few weeks I recycle those and replace them.

For out and about MiiR widemouth or Ocean bottle my company gave me.
Found this for the MiiR widemouth
IMG_9556.jpeg

Last edited:

DRW

Enlightened
Anything that doesn't leak. Usually it's the water bottles I use when cycling. Could be a 20+ year old 5 gallon Igloo water cooler, if I need that much. I avoid buying water in stores.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Around the house I drink tap water in a glass; sometimes I'll add an ice cube.
I buy cases of water at Costco, and typically bring three 16oz bottles each day to work. I don't reuse them, but I do recycle them.

We recycle at home, and at the office, so that there is always a fresh supply of plastic park benches, decking material, and fleece clothing. :)

During the summer months, I'll typically have a few bottles frozen in the freezer, and more than a few in the fridge. If going out for the day, I may take a small flexible cooler with a few cold bottles, and one or two frozen ones. Even in a closed car parked in the sun, the frozen ones will keep the others reasonably cool for the day.

Latest posts