• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Makai 6V XM-L lights

jellydonut

Enlightened
Hello Don

Will McGizmo lights ever go back to single-level, or are you pretty much set on the three-speed now?

I'd love a new Makai XM-L, but I don't like multi-level electronics and click UIs.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
jellydonut,

Yes, I am pretty much sold on the three level drivers and see using them by default in the foreseeable future. I do have some NexGen and SOB drivers still on hand so I can build any of these lights in a single output drive, on request.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Really?!

What kind of extra cost would that potentially add to the build? (and what kind of voltage range do those have?)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Really?!

What kind of extra cost would that potentially add to the build? (and what kind of voltage range do those have?)

All things considered I would be willing to offer a light using a NexGen or SOB converter for $20 less than a three level version of the light. (I should add that the 3 level version costs me more than $20 to build and I personally consider a 3 level light to be significantly greater in value)

Off hand I don't recall the actual voltage ranges of these drivers beyond knowing that they are well suited as single cell (NexGen) and two cell (SOB) respectively. I would also need to do some research in regards to max current advisable with the drivers.

Aepoc

Enlightened
Aepoc,
Have you tried Cutter? That's were I got mine.

Thanks Don,
I've had a less than Ideal experience with them before, but I decided to suck it up... They are on order.

On another note, I'm hoping I'll be able to pick up another one of your lights with my tax return; perhaps a UV if they are still available! Nothing like procrastination... April 15 is coming quickly!

mbely2

Enlightened
Don, I received the Makai yesterday, and like it very much. I thought I new what to expect, but still was surprised by really wide, bright and highly usable spill of the light. It reminds me the HD45 with luxV that used to have few years ago: it throws the whole spill... But unlike HD45 the new Makai is much more refined, civilized, and way, way, way more powerful. I think it will be my favorite outdoor light.
Thanks!

Mark

jellydonut

Enlightened
I'm sorry for the seemingly endless questions and indecisions - it's just that I've bought too many lights lately, so I need to convince my inner, well-buried conscience that I should spend more. :D

Would you guarantee your lights for use as weapon lights, the same way Nailbender does his potted P60 modules? I'm looking at buying a stainless steel lever gun, and a titanium light would be the perfect match for such a firearm.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Since I offer no warranty or guarantee, implied or otherwise, no problem in including the use of the light with a weapon. :)

As to whether these lights would perform with a weapon is a good question though and not one I have an answer for. I haven't tried this nor am I in a position to do so. The Light Engine construction is such that potting the electronics is an option but I have not potted any. I prefer the present ability to disassemble the LE, should the need or desire arise. I assume the possible failure in using a light with a weapon would be shock causing one of the SMD components to break free from the PCB? I know these converters are well manufactured in Japan and the components soldered to gold plated trace. Whether it would be advisable to add a conformal coating aiding in bonding the components to the board or going a step further with potting, I really don't know. :shrug: It's certainly doable.

scout24

Flashaholic
Played with my XM-L 6v Makai head (no 2x123 body yet, but soon! :) ) this morning, and don't know how Don does it... the throw is great, but the smooth, bright, even spill is just wonderful. Thanks, Don!!!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 I actually got mine second hand from Drywolf, but that doesn't diminish how much I appreciate Don's work. I need a bright, long throwing light for early (and late) dog walks - this thing throws forever, but still has a nice, soft beam up close. And just gorgeous, to boot. McGizmo magic...
Played with my XM-L 6v Makai head (no 2x123 body yet, but soon! :) ) this morning, and don't know how Don does it... the throw is great, but the smooth, bright, even spill is just wonderful. Thanks, Don!!!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jared - I plan to take some this coming weekend...this weekend we had the hurricane to deal with. I'm sure someone will come through before I do, but if not I'll definitely be shooting some of the 6V Makai XML, 6V Haiku XML - versus warm Haiku XPG, Haiku XPG and the classic Haiku XRE.

Is anyone able to take some beamshots of their Makai 6V XM-L??

Cheers!
:)

Bass

Enlightened
Sounds good Dan, looking forward to your beamshots.

grayhighh

Enlightened
Showing some love for Makai.

DSC_2388.jpg

DSC_2389.jpg

The beam quality is amazing. Great throw with very useful spill. Thanks to Dan, his review and beamshot is one of the reason why i bought this light.:)