• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of SunDrop and SunDrop XR-U

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Morning Don. I am seeking price clarification for the following configuration:

A SunDrop XR-U sporting Nichia 119(v) emitter powered by a AA LE & being fed by a AA Pak would cost how much exactly?

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anyone using a Sundrop XRU with an XPG2 LE?
I'd be interested to hear what it's like particularly if comparisons to the 119v LE can be made.

Trip Miller

Enlightened
I received a Mule today with an XP-G2 in it and i have not yet put it into my XR-U which I have. In my XR-U I have a Nichia 083B but in my Haiku I have a 119V. Sooooo I am now McLegoed and will be able to make the combination you are asking about in a day or so or certainly by the weekend.

Right off the bat I can tell that the XP-G2 is a really nice tint. Very WHITE neutral. CRI is exceptional if not as good as either of my other two. Both Nichias are warmer/rosier but only next to the XP-G2. I will also think that the OF Lumens on the XP-G is going to be a noticeable increase over the 119 as well once it gets behind the reflector which will be welcomed. That is a great feature of this emitter is that it goes with the 119 reflector. I'll try to get you some more direct comparison over the next few days or by the weekend unless someone else beats me to it.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that Trip Miller.
Sounds how I'd imagined, I'll be looking forward to reading more of your observations from your McLego-ing.
I bought a Haiku a short while ago with the 119v LE and at the time considered the Mule and Sundrop, while I'm very happy with the Haiku and 119v, I wonder if I would have preferred it with the XPG2 LE?
Anyway, I'm considering getting a Sundrop with XPG2 and ultimately swapping the LE's over.

Trip Miller

Enlightened
Thanks for that Trip Miller.
Sounds how I'd imagined, I'll be looking forward to reading more of your observations from your McLego-ing.
I bought a Haiku a short while ago with the 119v LE and at the time considered the Mule and Sundrop, while I'm very happy with the Haiku and 119v, I wonder if I would have preferred it with the XPG2 LE?
Anyway, I'm considering getting a Sundrop with XPG2 and ultimately swapping the LE's over.

F89,

so I was able to swap my 119V and XP-G2 into and out of the XR-U and very generally the XP-G2 does have a great tint and is not too cool, but I would suggest a nice white neutral bin. It looks like it is a little brighter in the lumen dept but maybe closer than I expected to the 119V. But I think for me and combined with the Haiku reflector I think it is a better choice in that light. Don't misunderstand, I really like the 119v in general, but the make up of the Sundrop (or Mule for that matter) lends itself to the Hi CRI light more in that they are "up close" lights and having a Hi CRI in up close type uses is a great fit. Furthermore the XP-G2 has a larger and smoother hotspot and is definitely less ringy than the 119V as well. The Haiku being more of a regular use flashlight benefits from the throw the XP-G2 has and combined with the bin mentioned above makes this my pick for the right combo. So basically I am confirming what you think you want to do and suggesting it is spot on.

Now just to cause you great stress I added a Mule and I put the 119v into the mule as I have an 083B in my Sundrop and it is going to stay there. The die is circular and fits the Sundrop better in this application and the Hi CRI is not to be beat. I read somewhere (from Don?) that the CRI in some of these was 96. These are not available any longer as I understand so when i had a chance to buy one I grabbed it.

That is my line up along with an Aquaram.

Good hunting.

Trip

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again for your input Trip Miller.
Sounds like you have the McGizmo dream line up, for my taste anyway. I like the sound of a 119V mule, 083B sundrop and XPG2 Haiku.
I'm tempted to get an XPG2 sundrop and do the LE swap with my Haiku so I'll see how long I can resist, that and depending on the state of my wallet.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ended up going with an XR-U with 119V and 3V clicky pack. I just can't go past high CRI, as good as the XPG2 is I'll trade lumens for Nichia goodness in most instances.
I'll be broke for a while now but I'm already wondering about a mule head too.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance for some beam shots of the nichia 119? I am curious how less round the beam is compared to the nichia 083 is.

Thud1023

Enlightened
Hi FT, here is a beam shot of the 119 XRU, about 3 ft from wall. Of course, the phone pic doesn't show off amazing tint quality very well. I love the light btw : ) ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1422718763.164019.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive been on the fence about this light for quite some time now. still haven't pulled the trigger. would be the ultimate night light around the house if it was offered with a red LED.

sbtaylor

Newly Enlightened
What are the benefits of the SunDrop vs the SunDrop XR-U? paired with a single AA which head and LE would you all suggest? I just ordered a XP-G2 Haiku and cant wait for it to get here. I want a floody light to pair with it and use around the house with some carry too.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the XR-U with 119V.
Don't look at walls with it or the warmer and brighter peripheral portion of the beam will put you off but get this thing out amongst nature and it's an amazing little light.
Definitely a niche kind of light but it does what it does nicely. I've been using mine as a general purpose light instead of my haiku recently and it's pretty nice to use for general use too, though it can't replace a haiku or vice versa.

Last edited: