We need to talk about Olight

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight has made strides to improve upon their lights with every passing model, and I appreciate that about them.
If I stopped buying every light manufacturer that gave me hot pocket, I wouldn't be a flashlight collector.
Do they tick all the boxes on what I want in a flashlight, no but I think they would lose money if they tried to make a run of every emitter and tint that hits the market.
Plus I'd still want to buy other brands because that's what I enjoy doing, comparing and fidgeting with the ui.
Then moving on to the next shiny thing.

If Olight isn't your cup of tea that's fine, but hating on popular brands has always seemed laughable to me :)

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire is his avatar photo, he is a LEO, but hes branching out.. he just bought a 4 mode HDS clicky w a Low CRI, Cool White, 6200K XP-G2

the 4 modes are:
from off
press hold gives momentary maximum of 250 lumens
1 clic turns on at 110 lumens

from on
press hold gives momentary maximum of 250 lumens
2 clic gives low mode 9 lumens
3 clic gives Strobe

134 meters throw
4500 Candela
18 candela per lumen
Nice light. My point though was that people don't normally complain about lights being too bright if they have medium modes. Which was why I was talking specifically about surefires.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I just realized that for the current price of what a classic HDS goes for, I could get one of Vertx's bigger sling-bags. Two Premier brand bullet-proof panels for the bag. A Vertx tactigomy pistol-holster, and Mag. holster, along with a Vertx mini organizer pouch; for right around the same amount. That's just not right.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just realized that for the current price of what a classic HDS goes for, I could get one of Vertx's bigger sling-bags. Two Premier brand bullet-proof panels for the bag. A Vertx tactigomy pistol-holster, and Mag. holster, along with a Vertx mini organizer pouch; for right around the same amount. That's just not right.

I've looked at pricing and HDS light a few times and yeah, it gets ridiculous. For example, it was 36+ just to get another LED that any other company that gives you the option would charge at most 5 extra for. 46 dollars for a 5700K 519A. Yeah, it's a specific bin and all of that, but damn.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Million dollar question for those who insist lights should be locked out when carried, what do you do when the light has zero lock out capability?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Million dollar question for those who insist lights should be locked out when carried, what do you do when the light has zero lock out capability?
I don't insist lights should be locked out when carried. I never do. I was only suggesting it for people who were prone to activating their light in their pocket. But if it can't be locked out, it's a poorly designed light and should not be purchased. That's my suggestion. Because it means it doesn't have anodized threads. And that's just poor manufacturing

LRJ88

Enlightened
I've looked at pricing and HDS light a few times and yeah, it gets ridiculous. For example, it was 36+ just to get another LED that any other company that gives you the option would charge at most 5 extra for. 46 dollars for a 5700K 519A. Yeah, it's a specific bin and all of that, but damn.
HDS doesn't charge you $36+ for the LED, they charge you $36+ for the LED and calibrating that LED so that every single flashlight that you get hit the targets for each light level the same way, including then also sorting out LEDs which have had poor performance. It's easy to just slap new LEDs on something and call it a day, but if you get an HDS light that says level so and so will be so and so many lumens it WILL be so and so many luments, it won't be +-10% on a good day, it'll be that level.

HDS lights have some parts which are machined, those are on a high level and need to be so for the flashlight to work as intended, it has electronics selected to make it a tough and reliable light, making it nearly bomb proof from the get go, and added to that they actually take care of and adjust the light so that every light holds the same quality. It's very, VERY rare that you hear anyone be negative about HDS lights having ugly beams, bad tints, being out of spec for output, failing miserably due to the electronics and so on, and it's for good reason.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked at pricing and HDS light a few times and yeah, it gets ridiculous.
they Are expensive.. so are Oveready, McGizmo, Deadwood, Okluma, Hanko, Cool Fall, Cloud Defensive, Surefire, Malkoff.. Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes, Rolls Royce..

the price is the price..

if it helps to know, HDS are assembled in USA, from parts machined in USA by a different entity, the reflectors come from another entity, the rubber switch buttons from another, with drivers made by another USA company, and LEDs installed onto the PCB by another USA company..

afaik, the only part that HDS does in house, besides design and assembly, is programming the driver modes, and calibrating the outputs.

So when HDS puts a price on something, there are multiple layers of vendors that already had to apply their own markup for their efforts. After which HDS has to apply their own markup to be profitable. HDS does not install the LEDs onto the PC board, so its not just a matter of swapping out a $5 LED.. they have to pay the guy who actually mounts the LED onto the PCB, before marking up the cost of that part when installed into the HDS assembly..

all that to say, the price is the price ;-)
once you pay the fee to enter the ecosystem, the product commands a market value consistent with its high level of respect and perceived value in that market. Same as when we buy other expensive stuff.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't insist lights should be locked out when carried. I never do. I was only suggesting it for people who were prone to activating their light in their pocket. But if it can't be locked out, it's a poorly designed light and should not be purchased. That's my suggestion. Because it means it doesn't have anodized threads. And that's just poor manufacturing

Sure, you never insisted users should lock out when carrying, but when I posted about a paperclip turning on a light, you immediately go to user error for not locking the light out. I don't think anybody is prone to turning on 99.99999% of their lights in pocket with a paper clip.

So a light that is required to be locked out in case of paper clip encounters is an okay design, but a light that cannot be locked out is automatically a poorly designed product unworthy of purchase?

I'll take the light that cannot and doesn't need to be locked out over the light that does lock out and requires it.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. What I said was your light was either user error or a one off. Since it was an issue with your particular model that was apparently repaired and not repeated, it was a one off. An issue with that model. So no, lock out is not necessary. You got a bad light. It happens. I got a maglite that died. And yet, they're very well known as a robust light. I had a surefire led burn out. Surefire's reliability is legendary. It happens.
You need to get over this and move on. If you never want to buy another Olight that's fine. I have no skin in this game. But they didn't single you out personally either.😁
That is a pretty crummy defect though

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
You seem to really overlook the whole recall thing. It wasn't a one off. An estimated 215,000 M2R Pro and Warrior Mini flashlights were recalled. That would have been a significantly smaller number and only 1 model if they listened to their customers. No they didn't single me out, quite the opposite, they brushed me and several others off.

LRJ88

Enlightened
No. What I said was your light was either user error or a one off. Since it was an issue with your particular model that was apparently repaired and not repeated, it was a one off. An issue with that model. So no, lock out is not necessary. You got a bad light. It happens. I got a maglite that died. And yet, they're very well known as a robust light. I had a surefire led burn out. Surefire's reliability is legendary. It happens.
You need to get over this and move on. If you never want to buy another Olight that's fine. I have no skin in this game. But they didn't single you out personally either.😁
That is a pretty crummy defect though
Ok dude I give up. Enjoy whatever lights you like
At this point i don't know if you're just not reading what's being said here or if you're willingly ignoring the main issues being presented. This isn't a case of he said, she said, this is a case of Olight not listening, ignoring, disregarding, or giving the middle finger to people pointing out issues. Olights used to be able to cause fires, not because of them getting hot by turning on but because they had live terminals allowing you to short circuit the battery. After that they've had issues where their flashlights have burnt their own lenses, unreliable switches leading the flashlight to turn itself on, false advertisement and so on and such forth.

Olight has a long history of missing the mark, and what people have issues with in regards to Olight isn't some nebulous wishy washy attitude based in nothing, people have issues with Olight not giving a flying fig in regards to user feedback and in many cases blaming the user despite it clearly being a larger problem the same way that you are now. Someone is presenting an issue, a well-documented issue, an issue with a recall of more than 200,000 flashlights, yet you bring it up as if it's just either a user error or a one-off problem for that person alone. I'm sorry to make this personal like this, but you doing this to @defloyd77 is just extraordinary amounts of silly, you're being beyond disrespectful towards a person who's been personally affected by aforementioned issues not taken care of by Olight and dismissing everything he's said.

If you really want to stop people saying they hate Olight then let Olight fix their poop. Let Olight deal with their issues, learn about why it is that people hate them and then seek ways to alleviate those issues instead of ignoring them. I still recall your posts in the Gaston Glock thread, and while you were already biased there i'd have hoped that you were trying to understand more in this thread since you started it, but maybe i was wrong.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Defloid is being combative and argumentative. As you've already said, they did a recall. I'm not saying there isn't an issue, I'm saying, as you also said, it was resolved. So they found they had a problem, and they recalled it. I don't see the issue there.
As far as Glock pistols, that wasn't me being unreasonable. There were even people mentioned "Glock leg" was it called? Regardless of if that was user error, it would not have happened at all if there was a safety in place. Or a heavy trigger. Another member mentioned NYPD had a 12 pound trigger spring added. I agreed that made it safe. There's a reason they required that stipulation and it wasn't because the gun was perfect in the beginning. I still say the Glock is a bad service pistol. It's been used by countless police departments not because it's the best. It's because they're dirt cheap. That's the big mystery. Lol.
I don't just feel this way about glocks, but all striker fired pistols that came after. Except maybe the Springfield XD. Because it also had a grip safety like a 1911. But they have other problems.

So yes. The same poster has said multiple times about the paperclip. I don't care anymore which is why I tried to end that line of dialogue. It's not going anywhere. He says they're awful because it shorted out. I say it's fine because it was one model that was recalled. Where do we go from here?

Besides the Glock part, agree with your final paragraph. I'm also not trying to stop olight hate. I don't care. I've had one of their lights for a week. And it was a freebie. I've used it once to take my dogs for a crap. That's it I have better lights. I was just wanting to see where the hate was coming from. And I've read all the posts. But one in particular has gone on too many times. I've acknowledged the issue. But it was many years ago. And it was fixed.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Defloid is being combative and argumentative. As you've already said, they did a recall. I'm not saying there isn't an issue, I'm saying, as you also said, it was resolved. So they found they had a problem, and they recalled it. I don't see the issue there.
As far as Glock pistols, that wasn't me being unreasonable. There were even people mentioned "Glock leg" was it called? Regardless of if that was user error, it would not have happened at all if there was a safety in place. Or a heavy trigger. Another member mentioned NYPD had a 12 pound trigger spring added. I agreed that made it safe. There's a reason they required that stipulation and it wasn't because the gun was perfect in the beginning. I still say the Glock is a bad service pistol. It's been used by countless police departments not because it's the best. It's because they're dirt cheap. That's the big mystery. Lol.
I don't just feel this way about glocks, but all striker fired pistols that came after. Except maybe the Springfield XD. Because it also had a grip safety like a 1911. But they have other problems.

So yes. The same poster has said multiple times about the paperclip. I don't care anymore which is why I tried to end that line of dialogue. It's not going anywhere. He says they're awful because it shorted out. I say it's fine because it was one model that was recalled. Where do we go from here?

Besides the Glock part, agree with your final paragraph. I'm also not trying to stop olight hate. I don't care. I've had one of their lights for a week. And it was a freebie. I've used it once to take my dogs for a crap. That's it I have better lights. I was just wanting to see where the hate was coming from. And I've read all the posts. But one in particular has gone on too many times. I've acknowledged the issue. But it was many years ago. And it was fixed.
He is being what? I'd very much like you to point out where he is that, because that hasn't been in this thread.

You started off making a post saying "Yes it's great he invented a plastic gun with no safety and a light trigger. Wouldn't call that a good impact. Besides the impact of bullets hitting people while they unholster their firearm", that was your first post and you followed it up with making factual assertions which then boiled down to being your own opinions on the matter based on what you think of the gun itself and how to use firearms. "Glock leg" happens with other firearms as well, want to know what causes it? Poor trigger discipline. No matter how many bloody safeties you throw on a firearm it won't help if you keep your booger picker on the trigger, and if you rely on the trigger being heavy to stop you from ventilating yourself or others then you shouldn't be using a firearm at all, you're unsafe.

There were several models recalled, several models with bad enough issues that their entire lines had to be recalled. There was several more lines which didn't get recalled despite issues such as turning themselves on, almost setting fire to things and so on, the ones getting recalled were just so bad it caused enough harm to force a recall, second degree burns tend to do that. The issue in this is that you're feeling completely justified in slamming an entire company, Glock, for making "unsafe" guns due to their safeties being internal, yet you're happy to disregard a company which in comparison would actively fire in the holster despite not even touching it, and you're willing to say that it's a one-off or the person is at fault when this has happened several times over and they've recalled models for having these issues. You're being hypocritical, and seeing how you described Defloyd77's behaviour it leaves behind a rather foul taste.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. I wouldn't consider a gun discharging bullets when the operator doesn't want them to to the be at the same level of…….a flashlight turning on accidentally. That's a quite frankly ridiculous argument.
I have no knowledge of the continuous issues Olight has. But it seems they have tightened up their quality control quite a bit as any reviews of their actual products seem to be quite favorable. Maybe every one of them are shills? Could be.
I've also said a few times that yes it is not nice having a defective product and not being listened too. Me being flippant about it is because the same thing keeps getting said about the same incident. I've already acknowledged that problem. It's beating a dead horse by this point.

I guarantee I can repeatedly squeeze the trigger of a pistol that has an actual safety and it will never fire. Regardless how hard I squeeze. That's why it's a safety. I do agree trigger control is the most important safety. 1000x more important than anything else. When I hunt I don't even use the safety because it don't put my finger in the trigger guard until I'm ready to fire. That's not the same thing as carrying a pistol on my person. Something CAN get caught in the trigger guard when holstering. Regardless of where your trigger finger is. An actual safety will stop that from happening. That's not an opinion. That's a fact.

Anywho, I'm not going to continue this line of conversation as it's too far off topic. We're going to have accept that we disagree on the Glock thing. As many people do on both sides I'm sure. For the Olight issues, I've already acknowledged the recall issues.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no knowledge of the continuous issues Olight has.

Therein lies the problem. You clearly didn't have any knowledge of Olight's issues, yet you felt the need to make assumptions anyway. Maybe if you don't do that, you'd find others to be less "combative" in the future.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The recalls are old news, that's why the proximity sensor is in the new versions of those lights.
Though the majority of hot pocket problems with flashlights can be resolved with a lockout some just refuse to use the function.
More companies are using proximity sensors (which I don't like but understand the need)
and that should help, another option would be to put it in a holster while it's in your pocket. It may not be ideal but it beats taking the batteries out, the same way you'd keep a fixed blade safe in the pocket, sheath it.
Think of the lock out or proximity as the choice of using a folding knife instead, if you can do.
At the end of the day vote with your money, voice your concerns but dont waste the anger on each others preferences.
You'll likely never convince a fixed blade guy to go to folding knives if they are set in their ways.
So please try and keep it civil, we are all here cause we love flashlights.