What budget high lumen led light to get?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the advantage of lumen vs candela? I see that the MK36 has 12000 lumen but 22000 cd. My Nitecore has 2000 lumen but 23000 cd.

The Acebeam K65 I got is 6200 lumen but 157000 cd. Does the throw come from cd while flood is from lumen?

I mention this topic briefly with lots of people several times per week.

I like to use the rifle scope analogy. One rifle scope has lots of magnification. Another rifle scope has lots of field of view. The first rifle scope is analogous to a throw light with lots of throw and a narrow beam and less total lumens.

The second rifle scope is analogous to a power flooder that does not throw as far, but has lots of lumens and lots of beam width.

Next, the person who is looking at the two rifle scopes wants a rifle scope with both lots of magnification and lots of field of view. He will need to select a larger rifle scope.

The person looking at the flashlight that has great throw specs is also looking at another flashlight that has great power/lumen specs. He wants a flashlight that has both, lots of throw and lots of power/lumens. He will need to select a larger flashlight.

Why are some flashlights larger than small, easily carried cute little lights? Because the larger lights have more power/lumens and/or throw than the little flashlights.

A dedicated thrower will be all throw and very low total power/lumens.

A flooder will have very little throw, but all of its performance will be in short range flood.

Next, some flashlights have a mixture of flood and throw. A flashlight may have only one emitter to favor throw, but it may be a large emitter, to provide power. Or, several small emitters for some throw, but several of them to provide power.

A review of the business end of the flashlight provides a peek at beam power and beam profile. Head diameter, size of emitters and number of emitters tell the story.

Runtime is based on battery capacity to power level ratio. Eight 21700 cells and one XP-L emitter equal tons of runtime.

One 18650 cell powering nine XHP70 emitters equals microscopic runtime.

Look at the size and the weight of the flashlight and the reflector/emitter configuration and head diameter, and then pick the light you like.

I like very small, small, lower midsize, medium size, upper midsize, large and very large flashlights in dedicated throw, power throw and pure flood configurations, that is why I have more than 21 flashlights.

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
That's a good analogy and thanks. I kinda figured that. Now I know why y'all have collections. :cool:

The Acebeam I have don't have the full power it should have. It tops at 4000L instead of 6200L. Bummer.

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
I tried to order it on BangGood but my bank says no to Chinese sites. I looked on Amazon and it has an upgraded version of the BLF Q8, the Sofirn Q8 for $65. I ordered it.

I'll get it tomorrow. :)

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
Q8 Light damaged in shipment, no replacement, money refunded. What a joke.

As to Nitetorch site, request for refund ignored, stuck with defective light. Was promised refund, long overdue. Liars.

archimedes

Flashaholic

As to Nitetorch site, request for refund ignored, stuck with defective light. Was promised refund, long overdue. Liars.

Please do not accuse anyone of lies or fraud here. I have pointed you to the appropriate "Jeers" forum elsewhere regarding your concerns, and be aware that subforum has additional rules.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe it's time to take up bowling as a hobby?

Chris

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
Here's another joke: sorry we lost order no, please submit no and we'll refund in 5 to 10 days.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
TeaSipper...Slowdown on purchases as you are buying on the spot, and having too many issues. Get suggestions on where to buy, brands, etc.
The Acebeam K65 is an older model where you should have looked into the Acebeam K65GT.

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
Yeah but it was on sale for $120. I thought it was a steal. Later I found out it was used. Worn out is more like it. Never worked right and disappointing.

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
Got the Sofirn Q8 yesterday. Much better, puts my Acebeam K65 to shame. And only $65 from Amazon.

The guys at BLF did a great job and Sofirn took it a step further. I joined the forum there.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the Sofirn Q8 yesterday. Much better, puts my Acebeam K65 to shame. And only $65 from Amazon.

The guys at BLF did a great job and Sofirn took it a step further. I joined the forum there.
I don't have that light, but it should have a nice beam profile with very nice throw combined with useful beam width, with plenty of mass for heat management, and plenty of fuel supply for long runtime for the four XP-L emitters. Eagletac MX25L4C modded with four XP-L emitters is the closest that I have to it in my collection. Again, nice beam profile and utile 5,000 lumen fuel supply and heat management.

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened
I don't have that light, but it should have a nice beam profile with very nice throw combined with useful beam width, with plenty of mass for heat management, and plenty of fuel supply for long runtime for the four XP-L emitters. Eagletac MX25L4C modded with four XP-L emitters is the closest that I have to it in my collection. Again, nice beam profile and utile 5,000 lumen fuel supply and heat management.

For my Q8 I got this: https://led4power.com/product/4x-lu...-blf-q8-copper-dtp-direct-thermal-path-mcpcb/
Took the output from the excellent to satanic! Probly ~10000 lumens.