What is the Rolex of Flashlights?

340pd

Newly Enlightened
Running fast is evidence of friction in the balance, causing a shorter rotational arc. Should be at least checked ever 4-5 years and generally cleaned every 4-10 years, depending on how it looks during inspection.
You have convinced me. I will be calling the Rolex service center in Dallas tomorrow AM.

I had both.

Special forces, world leaders, and anyone successful in life wears Rolexes. Rolex is far more ethical that GShock in regards to labour.

Just asking out of curiosity. What's the story behind Casio's ethical practices?
This got my attention too, letschat7. Some of the lower end models are made in China but most are Thailand or even Japan. (e.g. I've got 2 JDM models with instructions written in Kanji only.) Never heard of Japanese sweat shops.

Not surprised about Chinese human rights. I lean toward the Multiband 6 Solar models. All of them are from Thailand or Japan. I wish they were $89.99! I even built this shelf to aim their butt ends towards the atomic clock in Fort Collins!

20240102_200934.jpg

Attachments

• 20240102_200934.jpg
    20240102_200934.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 34

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a watch, not a car. It doesn't work that way. You try flushing it, and you'll destroy the incredibly tiny parts on the inside of it. And by tiny, I mean barely two notches above microscopic. They are delicate and fragile. Cleaning an encrusted mechanical wrist-watch takes skill, time, and patience.
I didn't have a mechanical clock other than a wall clock, they sometimes stuck and we dripped door hinge oil on the axis and everything started working well

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
You have convinced me. I will be calling the Rolex service center in Dallas tomorrow AM.
Talking about this thread I asked him which parts would wear the most and he said the arbor and balance pivots. I hope yours is new enough to have a jeweled barrel, otherwise the arbor will take that out with it. Looking forward to hearing that your watch is okay.

340pd

Newly Enlightened
Talking about this thread I asked him which parts would wear the most and he said the arbor and balance pivots. I hope yours is new enough to have a jeweled barrel, otherwise the arbor will take that out with it. Looking forward to hearing that your watch is okay.
It's a k series 114270 from 2002. I called the Dallas service center and will be sending it off next week.

importculture

Newly Enlightened
No, it's not inflation. If we take just the rate of inflation into account, a Submariner should cost no more than $6,000. Obviously that's not the current price of a brand new one. It's also naked greed on Rolex's part.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I as well as vicv was referring to the spy tri-v which if I remember correctly released at 3500$. But now sells for 10,000$. Could be inflation or the cost of materials/labor.

Vemice

Enlightened
For me Rolex = McGizmo.
I own both and in my opinion, no one needs to spend $8000-$9000 on a watch (I did not spend that as I bought it almost 40 years ago) or $400-%500 on a flashlight. We chose to.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
…the spy tri-v which if I remember correctly released at 3500$. But now sells for 10,000$. Could be inflation or the cost of materials/labor.
I paid about $2,100 for a first run Tri-V and probably the primary reason for the price increases have been general inflation, coupled with raise increases for the guy who spent endless hours developing, and subsequently improving his lights.

There's no shortage of examples of product that disappeared due to lack of profitability.

Buff

Enlightened
I just got caught up. Don't know why i get notifications about new post in some threads but some i do not. Or sometimes i do then don't for a while then start getting them again? It's not just on this forum.
Thanks to all for all the great responses to this thread. I guess i can safely say there is no flashlight company like Rolex. Not saying there aren't some very expensive lights out there or that the workmanship on some aren't incredible just no clear consensus that company X is the one.

MatthewMurdock

Newly Enlightened
Subjectively saying, I don't think a "Rolex" brand for anything can truly be established anymore. Sure, you have your "old guard" type brands per se that everyone knows of such as Mag-lite or Surefire. Now there are so many smaller niche companies creating outstanding products that can rival the quality of these lofty brands. You don't need a ton of capital or a massive factory anymore to produce things. In our illuminated world, a small machine shop making quality flashlights with an owner that cares about customer service can actually compete against the establishment. It would be interesting to have this conversation in 5-10 years to see how some of the talk about brands here are doing or how they are perceived.

Buff

Enlightened
Seems that one factory makes lights for several companies? I recall my sons company moving into a recently vacated warehouse were lawn mowers were made. Seems the company made the mowers for many of our popular brands. Red ones, green ones, orange ones all coming out of the same building? I'm sure they did well enough to move to a bigger building rather than going out of business?. And this building is huge and sons company moved in because they had out grown their building as well.