What is this style called - maglite mods or similar.

oversight

Newly Enlightened
Hey, Just looking for advice on how to search this forum. I came across an old post, by @PCC and @RepProdigious regarding cut down d-cell maglites.

I liked the look and would like to try my own in a c-cell version, but don't know what this style is called. It's when you take a maglite and remove the standard flashlight end and replace it with a flush in-line adaptor so the flashlight is the same diameter from end to end. Its a beautiful look.

Again I would like to do it in a c-cell (about 4-5 c-cells long) or similar diameter using other technology. Not really too fussed about how bright the light is.
Any advice on how I could do this, if I can source an old c-cell maglite or any flashlight of a similar diameter would be appreciated.

Original post (most of the images are gone) is https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/short-d-cell-maglites.311806/

Attachments

• DSC_2482.jpg
    DSC_2482.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 136

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not even attempt building a Mag mod like that without access to lathe.
For a start you would need to fashion a heatsink for the LED and driver board to sit in.
CPFer H22a use to sell them but it looks like he is long gone.
see here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/h22a-heatsinks.310770/
The heatsink would need to slide into the Mag tube and some how be fixed in place
Now you need to figure out a way of securing the reflector/optic.
Now onto the tail switch, a hole will need to be drilled into the tailcap and the switch will need to be secured.
Having access to a lathe so that threads can be cut on the mod would be ideal but other than that I suppose you could use circlips and snap rings.
At one time there was a bunch of guys who did machining for Mag mods but they are no longer on the forums.

oversight

Newly Enlightened
@fivemega, many thanks for your reply. Yes, I will be looking for an extension tube as well please. And will write to you soon about this as soon as I receive my initial 3cell C-size Maglite. I am just hoping that you still have these in stock? I looked briefly at your thread on these a while ago and I believe you still had some C-cell extension tube in stock, only in plain aluminum, which is ideal if I could easily spray paint this to match the stock black colour. Just wanted to check if there were any details to confirm, I though I saw a post a long time ago that said there were two different C-cell varieties of the torch with different internal diameters, and that you could tell them apart based on the serial number beginning with a number or a letter. ? Do I need to worry about this when ordering?

And to clarify what I was asking @tx101 has answered this in the next post thanks. I was initially looking at making Mag mod with a 'flush' or 'recessed'? head, rather than one with a reflector that flares out.

oversight

Newly Enlightened
I would not even attempt building a Mag mod like that without access to lathe.
For a start you would need to fashion a heatsink for the LED and driver board to sit in.
CPFer H22a use to sell them but it looks like he is long gone.
see here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/h22a-heatsinks.310770/
The heatsink would need to slide into the Mag tube and some how be fixed in place
Now you need to figure out a way of securing the reflector/optic.
Now onto the tail switch, a hole will need to be drilled into the tailcap and the switch will need to be secured.
Having access to a lathe so that threads can be cut on the mod would be ideal but other than that I suppose you could use circlips and snap rings.
At one time there was a bunch of guys who did machining for Mag mods but they are no longer on the forums.
@tx101 many thanks for your reply. This is good advice and it is a shame that the member that were making these mods are no longer here. I was thinking I could cut the end of the Maglite off with the simple tools that I have availible and then drop in an appropriate heatsink and LED/driver. Possibly gluing them in place if necessary? Appreciate your advice on this. The tailcap? I guess I was just assuming that you could buy a tailcap with a switch built into it to replace the side switch.

Sorry if I am using the wrong terminology for all of this but it is new to me, apologies for not reading more of the forum first.

oversight

Newly Enlightened
Sorry wrote this reply awhile ago but it's still awaiting moderator approval, probably because I quoted your message and I am a new member. Oh well. Here it is in a different format as this seems to get through the moderator loophole (from 9th April)....

@tx101 many thanks for your reply. This is good advice and it is a shame that the member that were making these mods are no longer here. I was thinking I could cut the end of the Maglite off with the simple tools that I have availible and then drop in an appropriate heatsink and LED/driver. Possibly gluing them in place if necessary? Appreciate your advice on this. The tailcap? I guess I was just assuming that you could buy a tailcap with a switch built into it to replace the side switch.

Sorry if I am using the wrong terminology for all of this but it is new to me, apologies for not reading more of the forum first.

oversight

Newly Enlightened
@tx101 also many thanks for the McClicky link above. I will get one of these as well. Appreciate the good advice on the light emitting end of the tube. I don't have a lathe just the standard range of domestic hand tools, but determined to find a way to do it. I don't mind finding a light/heatsink and reflector unit that is smaller that I can drop in and potentially epoxy in place? Would appreciate any suggestions that you or anyone else might have for this option.

oversight

Newly Enlightened
@fivemega, yes, thanks just like one of those. Do you have one that fits the M*g C size?
The torch I have is around 30mm (1 3/16") diameter. Mine is an LED ML100 model, serial number starts with 300. I am also looking for an extension tube that will fit this. Something about 50mm long?

Although now that I have this torch I can see that there are a bunch of electronics in the head unit, and as you say it's not going to be easy to replace with something sleeker. Is there anything out there, commercial or custom that is about 350mm (11") long and 30mm (1 3/16) diameter or close to these please?

I am after a torch with a head unit that is flush or close to being inline or flush with the body of the torch rather than a large flared head/reflector.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I have here is for older style incand m*g "C" which has tail thread of 1-3/32- 20 and barrel diameter of 1-1/4" or 31.75mm
Please check
these and see if they fit your needs.
Or
these.

Last edited:

oversight

Newly Enlightened
@fivemega I will try getting hold of one of the older, m*g C torches, I have some on order now. If they arrive and everything is correct (they are 4 cell) I will order one of your 1C extenders for them.

I don't like this 3 cell C ML100 model, the surround of the head unit is designed to slip off so that your can adjust the beam which makes it a little flimsy for me. It's also a little short.

Of course as soon as I get the 1C extension tube, I am going to start asking how I can put it to good use to increase the brightness while I am at it.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
this might help

I cant find much info on these so I dont know which version of the Maglight C cell it fits .... wider, numbers only serial or smaller, letter prefix serial number