What is your favorite LIGHTER?

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still love my Zippos!! I've tried butane, it's a pain, I've tried the smaller Zippos, they run out of fuel WAY to fast!! I have several broken lighters I need to send in, and really need the Ti version!!
The only time a Zippo lets you down is if you run out of fluid or flints!

The trouble with Zippo's is the speed at which the fuel evaporates, have you seen the sealed container you can slip inside the Zippo to solve this?
Bart was selling them over in CPFMP some time ago.

DeanJ

Newly Enlightened
My favorite lighter is my new keychain capsule lighter milled out of a solid block of 6AL-4V titanium. It cost me almost $4,000, but I think it is worth it.

I don't smoke, and it just sits on my keychain waiting for the day it might be needed. And, if I want to use the capsule for something else, I can.

(If cost almost $4,000 - but I did get 49 extra lighters to sell off and pay for the CNC set-up costs.)

Some pics:
titaniumbackupmv9.jpg

titaniumbackuplighterzg2.jpg

packageci2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Haz

Enlightened
My favorite lighter is my new keychain capsule lighter milled out of a solid block of 6AL-4V titanium. It cost me almost $4,000, but I think it is worth it.

I don't smoke, and it just sits on my keychain waiting for the day it might be needed. And, if I want to use the capsule for something else, I can.

(If cost almost $4,000 - but I did get 49 extra lighters to sell off and pay for the CNC set-up costs.)

They look beautiful, where are you selling them?

jamesraykenney

Newly Enlightened
I have heard of this, I may just have to look into it. I do love the Black Crackle texture!

So basically you guys are saying my Butane insert is gonna go :poof: sooner or later? Bummer!

Hey joe, any links to a prefered size O-ring for your zippo?

Mayo

Get the premium triple(at least!) filtered butane.

StuGatz

Enlightened
Thanks for the responses to this quiry... :thumbsup:

Time for me to mention my current favorite... The Brunton Helios butane.

On the left of this image:
DSC00894.jpg

I have a few of Dave's Titanium lighters enroute so they will make GREAT back-ups...

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look for refillable alternatives to the Bic, which would be more economical and greener than throwing away dozens, or hundreds of Bics over a lifetime..
I used to extoll the virtues of the Dunhills, and would recommend buying a used one with worn plating so you could get the fine mechanics of the Dunhill without paying so much for the precious metal -- there are many old Dunhills out there, a testament to their durability..But-- if the seals dry out due to leaving the lighter empty for a long time, they may leak and repairs run in the $80 range..
So I bought a few Prometheus lighters for $8.00 each and they are all still working well after a year so of use --
The Prometheus does have one flaw though: when the flint is worn completely down the little bit of flint that's left can jam the wheel. This can be fixed with a bit of jiggling and poking
--but I suspect many just throw the lighter away at that point.
It does separate into 2 parts, the striker wheel and flint feeder pull out for flint replacment, and the spring can pop out,
which makes three parts that must be (easily) reassembled. It's easy.
I have gone through at least a dozen cans of gas, so I'm guesstimating that's
equivalent to at least a hundred Bics -- at a dollar a Bic, that's a big savings, in cash and landfill space...
I don't let them run out of gas, and so far they are at least a year old and going strongly..
Prometheus knows fire. ;)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Certainly! I have one in my toolbox for pilot lights. It ain't EDC pocket sized however....

Yes the Zippo is perhaps the shizzle except for ONE thing. Dang thing tends to ALWAYS be dry when I go to use one. I don't smoke or use my lighter all that often. The little oil lighter in my pocket works PRETTY well. But it won't start cardboard or heavy paper. It DOES manage to light after 5-10 strikes every time....

HaChayalBoded

Newly Enlightened
I've got quite a few zippos, one is a knockoff I got free from Marlboro or Camel in the mail for my birthday, its Ti, says limited edition on the bottom and on the insert. I just filled it with white gas, works nicely with it. I was about to pick up a thing of zippo fuel tonight but it was $4, my quart of coleman fuel was also $4 so.....

I ride a motorcycle so I have two I use for the bike, one is a bic on a lighter leash (keep-it with a reel) but Im getting tired of people in cars at stop lights telling me my lighter is about to fall out of my pocket. I'll have to order a smaller keep-it for a bic mini and mount the reel to my tankbag or one of the zippers on my riding jackets.

The second is a Solo clip, this is a very nice torch lighter built into a carabiner, only problem is the gate is too high up to make putting it on and taking it off a beltloop a 123 process, it could just be that I have a rough textured charcoal colored one instead of the nice smooth aluminum ones.

I also have a zippo blue a friend gave me, once I used up the fuel I haven't bothered to refill it, I should get one of those adapter that allows me to take my larger butane canisters I use for camping and use it to fill my lighters instead of buying the little cans of butane which cost the same price.

in the tankbag of my bike I keep an extra electric bic (button is easier than a flint wheel when needing to hit it 100 times at 60mph)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Colibri Xtreme2 a few hours ago. It's made of steel, aluminum, and plastic. What I like about it is that it's compact, O-ring sealed (advertised waterproof to 30m) and has a belt clip. Just about every other non-Zippo lighter I've seen is funny-shaped and lacking a clip, so the only place to put them is in a pocket. This Xtreme2 strikes me as eminently EDCable. We'll see how it holds up.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been about three weeks, and I'm pretty disappointed with the Xtreme2. After spending the past three weeks on my belt, the belt clip is no longer secure. It started out super snug to the lighter's body, but now there's probably about 5-6mm of clearance (pics on request) and I don't trust it to stay put on my belt. Epic fail for the belt clip. :thumbsdow Maybe one day I'll find an appropriate holster for this thing, but I doubt it. Now it's no easier to carry than any other lighter.

If I can find the receipt, I might return it, but I'll probably just bug Colibri and see what they can do.