What jobs do people do that they need to EDC flashlights?

lacrimosa

Newly Enlightened
Well lacrimosa, have you ever dropped something and just had a heck of a time finding it?

Yep, all the time, but really only at home where I currently have more flashlights than rooms (geez, now that I put it like that, it's little wonder my wife gets annoyed at me :grin2:). I have a young child, and the flashlight is invaluable for locating things under furniture. In the office, not so much. My job function has me sitting at a desk for the most part, and carrying small items from place to place just isn't something I tend to need to do.

Your comment did make me think though. Perhaps I need a flashlight all the time, but I just find other ways of coping. Perhaps I need to put one on my keychain and see when it comes in handy.

Thanks for commenting!

1DaveN

Enlightened
I work in an office where I take care of the PCs and servers, among other things. Occasionally, I need a light to see a cable or something like that. Mostly, I carry my little Ghost 130 keychain light for that, or when I drop something in the car or outside - just the general things that would come up with anyone. I also use a PD25 at home for anything there - reading the meter, finding something I dropped under the desk, etc.

One thing we do at the office is to keep a light in each desk, in case of a power failure. They're basic lights and we have very few failures, but that seems like a good basic precaution.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
I just find having one on me Is Incredibly handy I mean I don't carry a 1000lm landing light around just an convoy s3 NW 500lm and usually on medium I keep It on my belt just behind my cell phone.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've worked in libraries, done stock work, retail, etc. Having a light when you're looking for something or unloading a truck at night is one thing but most buildings I've worked in were large enough that there was no way every part of the building had windows. Some levels were underground. Lights come in handy. Just get a few that suit your needs for whatever you do.

Also I read the 9/11 Report and learned a few things.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see, I'm a Paramedic/Firefighter that works straight night works. Do I need to go any further with why I carry a light, or two?

tex.proud

Enlightened
Let's see, I'm a Paramedic/Firefighter that works straight night works. Do I need to go any further with why I carry a light, or two?

NOPE! Respect!

How's that for a man of few words? :D :crackup:

All kidding aside. I have family that does the same. Respect that.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently working as an automtive and equipment mechanic, in school to be an aircraft mechanic and also do odd jobs that I never know when they will end. Yesterday I was inspecting the transmission top plate on a cab tractor and was using my 1800 lumen edc light and was wishing it was brighter. I was outside in the broad daylight and the windows on the cab aren't tinted but there was such a shadow where I was looking that without my light I couldn't see a thing. Tried using my 300 lumen D25A2 but it just wasn't enough. Once I fished that I started washing the tractors and needed my light to look underneath the cab to make sure ii was getting it cleaned.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Voc teacher at local college. I edc 2 lights, use them every day. Rooms are dark for night classes, cabinets are dark too.
Not to discount finding dropped items.
Also walking out to my car at night.... I could go on. Why NOT edc a flashlight?

Lateck,

Borad

Enlightened
Once I saw a bunch of people on the ground trying to find a woman's ring under a pile of wood or something. A flashlight would have helped. Other than that, I walk on a path that's indirectly lit by highway lights. One night, when they had recently replaced the incandescent lights with LED lights, half of them were out for some reason for a couple of miles and the flashlight came in handy.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work as a field technician for a large telecommunications company that doesn't like being mentioned in social media.

I carry a small light for those up close or small places you can find telephone wires either indoor or outside. It also helps to discern the pair colors in weathered and faded splices.

I carry a larger/much brighter light for when I need to light up an attic, under a building, or in drop ceilings and such.

"A large telecommunications company that doesn't like being mentioned in social media"... Ugh, l know. This is NSA :D

Taz80

Enlightened
I work as a repair tech for a telecommunications company also. In New England there are a lot of old dark nasty basements, attics and crawl spaces. I also carry an edc. or two when I'm not working, because it's very handi and well you just never know.

Killfire

Newly Enlightened
@ lacrimisa - I have a Fenix LD02 and it seems like it would be a great keychain light. Runs on a single AAA eneloop. I've stoped carrying it since I got a Zebralight SC52 that fits in my pocket perfectly.
Here's a picture of my " flashlight drawer" in my work toolbox.

Last edited:

Jbones

Newly Enlightened
Plumber and firefighter here, priceless to have an edc in my pocket at all times. Either one of my zebralight's or custom p60's do the trick, now if I can only find a way to keep everyone from borrowing them all the time...

The Hawk

Enlightened
I retired from law enforcement in 2008. Needless to say, we all carried flashlights. After retiring, I became a substitute teacher. On more than one occasion the electric has gone out in the school. You think those classrooms are bright, but sometimes a classroom has no windows or you are doing an emergency drill and have to take 30 middle school kids into the bathroom for a tornado drill. We actually had a tornado pass directly over the school one day while I was subbing there. Had to stay in the bathroom with 30 students for over an hour. I was the hero when I pulled out a couple flashlights.

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
I can sympathize with the last post. I'm an elementary school teacher and we have had a reasonable number of power outages over the years to find a flashlight handy.

The most pressing need is to have a tail-standing light to light up the bathroom. Chaos would ensue without it as none of the bathrooms in the entire school have windows or backup light.

Just keep your mitts off of it kiddos! You're in there to do your business, NOT play with my 4Sevens Mini!!!!

sparky1354

Newly Enlightened
Retired from the military last year. Worked in mortuary affairs, which meant we did everything from battlefield recovery, death scene pickups, a lot of crime scenes, to autopsy, embalming, dressing, and sending a lot of fine young men and women home. Always had a light on me because we rarely worked in areas that were well lit, and missing any little thing at a scene would be an insult to a family. Now, I'm retired to my little shack in the woods, and only really use a light for bumps in the night.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, all the time, but really only at home where I currently have more flashlights than rooms (geez, now that I put it like that, it's little wonder my wife gets annoyed at me :grin2:). I have a young child, and the flashlight is invaluable for locating things under furniture. In the office, not so much. My job function has me sitting at a desk for the most part, and carrying small items from place to place just isn't something I tend to need to do.

Your comment did make me think though. Perhaps I need a flashlight all the time, but I just find other ways of coping. Perhaps I need to put one on my keychain and see when it comes in handy.

Thanks for commenting!

I work in an office too, and like I said, we had an earthquake scare and had to evacuate the building, the internal lights went out and the emergency lights weren't working at their best, that was when I swore never to need light again and found my way here.

I carry a Raw NS on my keychain (a P7 suspension clip works well here) and a Manker T01, it's so light i can't feel it in office attire, I'm hoping for a blackout cos I'm in the basement haahahaha