What jobs do people do that they need to EDC flashlights?

write2dgray

Enlightened
@Azmodius I have a PR as well and the front lens on mine rattles annoyingly. Do you have this issue and did you or others possibly find a replacent oring or lens to fix this?

chrisbfu

Newly Enlightened
Use these bad boys when going junking. Love my Tri EDC Sinner and my Archer V3.
5b9f6313ad95a071b8d8d10e05f88fbe.jpg

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this video, a motorcycle/powersports technician instructor writes:

"My thoughts are that the #1 reason for missed problems by technicians when checking their work is poor lighting. Not using a flashlight to "see" the problem, is risky, to say the least. I have noticed while out visiting shops that not having a small pocket flashlight is commonplace."

tony2010

Newly Enlightened
my job has me going through bags and such, but mostly edc my flashlight for other uses such as repairs, looking for stuff etc...

surefire7

Newly Enlightened
I work in the school system as a Physical Therapist. Adjusting and tightening up things on wheelchairs just needs some good illumination!

Illum

Flashaholic
I was a student when I started EDCing lights. Mostly because about 80% of classrooms has no windows, and the emergency lights don't work [all the ones I tested doesn't]. The parking lot lights are only bright enough to guarantee you won't walk into a car, or a tree, or a stop sign, but does little for security. During my time on that campus my EDC was a 3D Mag85 [9AA to 3D adapter+WA1185 lamp stuffed in a maglite] with a streamlight scorpion as backup.

When I graduated I worked as a public library assistant. Night shift. Not all rooms have lights. if working in a public place taught me anything, is not to lay your fingers on any surface you cannot readily evaluate whats coated on there. Back room's just got enough florescent lights working to tell you where the exits are, unless you wear steel toe boots your piggies will thank you if you would shine a light in front of them.

Now I'm a small office manager whose evening job doubles as janitorial services. Same ordeal, check for spills in the stalls, rooms, hallways. Look around the porcelain for signs of incontinence, bad aim. Need a light to see streaks on he porcelain, not just the walls. Check the windows, doors, etc.

rotts4u

Newly Enlightened
I work in parts and equipment sales and I am always in a dark plant somewhere trying to look at equipment in dark corners, name plates of machines, or look up inside something etc so I always carry at least one light with me all the time. Usually an Olight S1R. ITs never let me down and the ability to put a few hundred lumens on something that needs lit up never ceases to amaze anyone that sees me do it from such a small light. I cary others in my SUV but the S1R is the one thats always with me. I also believe in keeping one for security reasons too in case I get caught out at night and need light

felton

Newly Enlightened
Catching alligators!!!! Ok its a side job but sill...
We spot light them at night.

Trashman531

Newly Enlightened
I use my lights while doing my fatherly duties. Every night when my 4 year old is ready for bed he goes to my collection and picks out which one he wants to use that night. Then I read him a bedtime story in the glow of the flashlight. I think he's addicted. Start em young right!?

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah that's awesome. My wife and I will probably have a kid within the next couple years and I keep joking that the kid will only know me in the dark by the faint glow of a sublumen headlamp mode haha.

arKmm

Enlightened
I'm a police officer. I think that qualifies me to EDC right? :)

N04Ynpr.jpg

Last edited:

Kamerat

Enlightened
Yep, must say that I too use my light mostly for my fatherly duties, checking up on the kids during the evening and night. Wife hates normal bedside lamps, so I also get the opportunity :) to use lights to read before falling asleep. Understandably, I need sub-lumen modes. Often end up using a zebra light or a peak eiger. Looking forward to receive the pre-ordered Reylight with 0,2 lumen as first mode.

ven

Flashaholic
Rach just said " your turning me into a torch perv now" after she has claimed a 2 mode s2+ shorty on 18350 fuel.............what is she trying to say? She has 3 lights now in her handbag, the shame...........i would have at least 6!

Nice duty lights arKmm, tell me the 6p has been malkoff'd:D

My today and this evening EDC is also a SF

Around the house i always have a light in my pocket, usually 2 or 3 at arms reach(when not claimed that is)

arKmm

Enlightened
Nice duty lights arKmm, tell me the 6p has been malkoff'd:D

It's been Vinh'ed instead! Quad XPL HI. NW. 2500lm. 22k lux. I've got it programmed for non-memory 100->20->Strobe.
It truly is the perfect duty belt torch for an LEO!

ven

Flashaholic
It's been Vinh'ed instead! Quad XPL HI. NW. 2500lm. 22k lux. I've got it programmed for non-memory 100->20->Strobe.
It truly is the perfect duty belt torch for an LEO!

Perfect!! a few of mine have been vinh'd and VOB'd

Have his p60vnT mule for one of my work EDC lights

and a quad mule on the way in a 6p host

Trashman531

Newly Enlightened
Oh and let's not forget the classic shadow animals :) I can't turn a light on without my son jumping in front of me and making a crocodile or butterfly.