What kind of Magnets for dive canister light?

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
I need some help from you.
I need a magnet for my HALLSW from taskled.

Does any one have na idea what magnets are good for torches? They schouldn`t corode in salt water
I know that Samarium cobalt is a good choice,
does anyone know if the neodyme will corode?

Thank you very much
Regards
Mark

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Samarium cobalt. Hands down. Brittle, but strong and highly corrosion resistant.

Neodemium will corrode, even if it's nickel plated (ask me how I know) and it expands when it does, so if it's in a hole you'll never get it out.

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
Hi
Ok thank you! I gess I`ll be going for the Samarium cobalto
What about if I silicone the neodemium magnet all around with a high quality marine "Sikaflex" , so it has no contact with the water
Or even do the same with the Samarium cobalt to ensure no corrosion?
Thanks
Mark

lucca brassi

Enlightened
plastic magnets ( injection moulded magnets ) - very strong , resistant to chemicals ,( i did not direct test sample to slat water ) but that depend on and ratio between plastic and 'metal' powder in sample.

(PS: my company mould them and magnetize them , but i don't know if we have something for direct use in something like scuba switch)

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
Yes
thats kind of what I`m planing to do, I`m thinking on using neodemium magnets covered with some good quality marine grade "sikaflex",
this stuff sticks like hell and stays flexible, I even use it somethimes to fix my wetsuit.
I would really prefer to use Samarium Cobalt, but I do not find it in the shape I need it :(
Regards

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
Hi, sorry for the late answer.
I bought round magnets with a holle. so I can fix them better,
About the planed size I have no concrete idea yet.... I`m still triying to find the best option
Regards