What Lithium Ion Rechargeable Cells Are OK?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I look on ebay for 14500 cells, I get a bunch of what seems to be off brand companies selling them.
LiFePO4
Vapecell :rolleyes:
Eastar
Efest
Tenergy

And it got me wondering which brand of cells are considered safe...and which are considered potentially dangerous?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer to buy Keeppower batteries and have had no issues with them.
+1 on keep power.

it is important to buy from a reputable seller as there are a lot of fake cells out there. I get most of mine from illumn.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Vapcell are awesome, and has the highest capacities available. To be safe, choose IMR or INR type batteries.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that Nitecore had "batteries for vape". You can use those in flashlights as well?

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Yes, but they're not protected, just make sure your flashlight has low voltage warning or you stop using and recharge as soon as the light gets dimmer, never over discharge non protected lithium batteries.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh......I see. I would much rather have protected cells. I'm overly cautious....but know that errors are human.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
At C cell diameter, one A123 26650 iron phosphate equals the voltage of two C cells. Adapter required. They are tolerant to full discharge and full charge. I have converted several lights. Used at Battery Hookup, 50¢ each. No extra hardware needed for protection. Easy to get to higher voltages.