What was your prep for today?

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
My preps as of late have been carrying less stuff to work. I work in an ER and everything gets washed, cleaned or thrown out after each shift. Cutting down on what I use means less clean up. Additionally, with the PPE that we wear it's hard to get to pockets so another reason to cut down on stuff.

Of course, I keep a lights on me! Lumintop IYP 365 and HDS rotary.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not trying to darken the mood, but spent the last few weeks buying the items needed to make effective DIY hand-sanitizer at home, along with buying 1-3 homemade and sewn masks from various sellers on Etsy. Washable and thus reusable. (Some ended up being definitely better made than others.) Along with plenty of filters. Even reusable/washable ones.

These definitely seem like preps to me. How did the DIY hand-sanitizer turn out? I was going to try, then read some articles that indicated it was really difficult to achieve same gel-like consistency. Abandoned the plan before even starting.

Can you share the name of the Etsy masks you prefer and what kind of filters your using? Either here or in the Cafe masks thread? I bought some vacuum cleaner bags to cut up as DIY filters. Then read that many HEPA filters contain glass particles hazardous to breathe. :ohgeez:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
These definitely seem like preps to me. How did the DIY hand-sanitizer turn out? I was going to try, then read some articles that indicated it was really difficult to achieve same gel-like consistency. Abandoned the plan before even starting.

Yes, unfortunately what makes many of those HEPA filters so incredibly effective at filtering is their use of fiberglass in their construction. Definitely don't want to be breathing in fiberglass.

You're simply not going to get the typical gel from DIY hand-sanitizer formulas that you do from the commercial stuff. However, the effectiveness is going to be exactly the same. And even commercially, there are hand-sanitizer formulas out there with the consistency of water. You can use a spray bottle from the local hardware store or the local .99 cent store. But for a small 30ml or 50ml spray bottle that you can EDC, one that comes with a clear hard plastic top to prevent accidental depression of the button, check Amazon or Wal-mart.com for empty spray bottles in those sizes. Thankfully, no one is hoarding those.

Two truly effective DIY hand-sanitizer formulas:

1 cup (8 fluid ounces) of Isopropyl (Rubbing) alcohol. *Do NOT go below 91% to start.
1 tablespoon of Hydrogen Peroxide 3%
1 teaspoon of liquid glycerin
---Optional--- Add a couple of drops of scented Essential Oils. (For a nice smell.)
Stir together.
Very carefully add purified water, or room temp. water that was boiled, until this mixture is exactly 1-1/3 cup in volume. Stir a bit more. Use a funnel to pour into your spray bottle.

The reason you can't go below 91% purity for the rubbing alcohol is because it's going to get diluted by the time you're done mixing. This is extremely important! For this formula, the purity is going to decrease by approximately 24. So 91 minus 24 will equal 67. That's good. You don't want the final mixture to fall below 65% purity. 91% and 99% being the two most easily found purities of Isopropyl alcohol out there, which are appropriate.

Now, if you can't get Isopropyl alcohol; you can use ethyl alcohol instead. The stuff folks like to drink. But again, purity matters. For hand-sanitizer, I prefer Everclear at 190 proof (95% pure). But you can use any spirits that are 180 proof or higher. Don't go below 180 (90% pure). Keep that factor of 24 in mind.

An even easier formula is mixing any of the above purity levels of Isopropyl or ethyl alcohol with Aloe Vera. Again there's going to be dilution. Very easy, 2 Parts alcohol to 1 Part Aloe Vera. Stir together, Done! Best thing about this formula is that it allows you to make smaller batches of hand-sanitizer than the other formula. For example: 2 fluid ounces of Alcohol to 1 fluid ounce of Aloe Vera gives you 3 fluid ounces. Enough to fill up a combination of spray bottles that are EDC sized.

These are the only two truly effective formulas I've found out there for killing germs and viruses. The rest, especially formulas that rely on all-natural ingredients only; not good enough.

As far as Homemade/hand-sewn masks go on Etsy, I'm currently working on getting 1-3 examples of various masks from various sellers on that site to feature in a video on my main channel on YouTube. So, still gathering masks and data. That project won't be done until after the start of June. However, I've already received a few and gotten to inspect them. Here are a couple that will be going up on my recommended list when that video is done. Keep in mind, I don't personally know these sellers. I'm not affiliated with them in any way except as an online buyer. That's it. Also, I have a ton of experience on Etsy buying other items. I'd say only 40% of the time, I was happy with what I got from various sellers. That percentage has been better when it comes to masks.

Also, keep in mind that ALL Homemade/hand-sewn masks bought over the internet cannot be certified. They're not sold as medical grade. Wearing a mask though can slow the spread of infection from person-to-person. Especially if social distancing and self-quarantine is observed. (I get it, we all have to go out to the supermarket, the grocery store, and the pharmacy at a bare minimum.)

Edit ~
Removed a good chunk of my original post here, as new information came to light regarding the best mask sellers on Etsy.

Speaking of filters, best one is the PM2.5 disposable filter. I just wish it came in an overall slightly longer and wider size than it does. Uses Activated carbon sandwiched in between two other types of layers for filtering.

I did very recently discover re-usable filters, and even mentioned those a few hours ago on my YouTube channel (NGMonocrom) in the latest video I uploaded onto there. You can check it out if you'd like. It details other aspects of using protective masks. Still doing research into those types of filters though. I really hope this post helps you out. Please stay as safe as you possibly can. I've also got a "CV-19 Directory" video up on my channel. You would not believe how many videos I had to watch to find seven good ones that deal with making DIY masks of various kinds, DIY effective hand-sanitizer, and DIY effective anti-bacterial wipes. Sooo much misinformation out there. Found seven worth linking to. Have those in the Description Box below that video. Also, each of those other content creators made it clear they want their videos out there; reaching as many people as possible.

Last edited:

jrgold

Enlightened
Nice list! I like the map with potential water sources marked. May have to add that... If any of your travels take you through urban/ industrial/ strip mall areas, I'd consider adding a sillcock key to access water from buildings, just for redundancy. I think mine was $15.00 at the Big Orange home store. Maybe a spare pair of socks as well. (Moleskin in your FAK?)

Picked up a $9 husky sillcock 4-way key from the depot today, great recommendation. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I purchased some Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers to store some rice and beans for long term food storage. Gonna build up a substantial amount and put them in buckets with orings I guess. Any other suggestions for long term storage foods? Noodles, beans, rice.........?

Poppy

Flashaholic
A couple of weeks ago I watched a Les Stroud Survivorman Pandemic/Disaster Home Food

video. Pertinent to the discussion, he recommends getting foods that you actually like to eat. Not just because someone has it on a survival list.

Here is the video from the beginning

Sounds like good advice to me.

Years ago, I was actively trying to do more prepping than I currently am. I tried Spam. You'll NOT find a single can of that in my cupboard!

IMO the above video is a worthwhile watch, especially for newbies to prepping.

Also, I'd like to suggest experimenting with the use of a variety of spices, and try using your dried goods in a variety of ways. You may find, as I have, that I like to use a variety of Grill Masters pre-mixed spices for ease of use.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
<SNIP>
1 cup (8 fluid ounces) of Isopropyl (Rubbing) alcohol. *Do NOT go below 91% to start.
---Optional--- Add a couple of drops of scented Essential Oils. (For a nice smell.)
Stir together.
<SNIP>
Since all this started, alcohol has been unobtainable in my area.
Last week I finally found some 70% alcohol.

Provided one doesn't dilute it with water, I believe that your above formula would work as well.
Your thoughts?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Today I purchased some Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers to store some rice and beans for long term food storage. Gonna build up a substantial amount and put them in buckets with orings I guess. Any other suggestions for long term storage foods? Noodles, beans, rice.........?

In this instance, best to take a page out of the Mormon handbook. They have an excellent food storage plan in place. Too extensive to get into here. But the 4 main foods are the following:

Salt
Honey -or- Sugar
Powdered Milk
Wheat

All rather inexpensive. Rather basic too. Like I said, there's more to it than just a list of the 4 main foods. You can learn more by typing Moron Food Preps. into the general Search function you use when online.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Since all this started, alcohol has been unobtainable in my area.
Last week I finally found some 70% alcohol.

Provided one doesn't dilute it with water, I believe that your above formula would work as well.
Your thoughts?

I'm afraid it won't. Both mixtures dilute the purity by a factor of 24.
70 - 24 = 46

That is far too low. At 46% purity for the alcohol, the virus is going to live.
I'm assuming you found that 70% locally?
All of the raw ingredients I have were bought online.
Wal-Mart.com for most of the ingredients.
But best to do a general search online for 91% or 99% Isopropyl alcohol.
Especially check medical supply shops that sell online.
Those are going to be your best bet. Many are backordered. But a few have stock.
It'll be expensive, and the volume will be likely quite big. With a bit of delayed shipping.

That's just how it is now, unfortunately.
You can make your own hand-sanitizer.
With the exception of the plastic spray bottles to put it in, the rest is too high in demand.

Local supermarkets and pharmacies in my area are now carrying hand-sanitizer. For $8.oo for a 6 oz. bottle. Outrageous! The stuff inside is clearly the first DIY mixture mentioned above in my earlier post.

Honestly, the Aloe Vera mixture likely will be easiest for you to find the raw ingredients online. Just that, and a big jug of 91% or 99% Isopropyl alcohol from a medical supply site. All you need more is a measuring cup, and containers.

Not sure if Liquor stores in your area have begun to re-open. If they have, you might be able to buy a bottle of Everclear 190 proof, and use that as the alcohol.

Poppy

Flashaholic
1 cup (8 fluid ounces) of 70% Isopropyl (Rubbing) alcohol.

NO WATER ADDED...
leaves about 69.90 % alcohol.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
1 cup (8 fluid ounces) of 70% Isopropyl (Rubbing) alcohol.

NO WATER ADDED...
leaves about 69.90 % alcohol.

It doesn't work that way. Both the Hydrogen Peroxide and the glycerin dilute the alcohol significantly more than that. Absolutely no clue how you came up with a dilution percentage of 1/10th of 1%.

All I can do is give you a reliable mixture created by scientists. One that works. What you choose to do with that information is up to you. I would have responded sooner, but I'm busy giving away protective re-usable/washable masks to my subscribers on YouTube who need and request them.

Last edited:

Kingz

Newly Enlightened
4 mile run. 100 Pushups, 100 Situps, Plank to exhaustion.

3 month Quarantine has turned me into Elmer Fudd.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I guesstimated but was wrong. I didn't realize that 4 teaspoons equal 0.666 ounces. One tablespoon is = to 3 teaspoons.

So for accurate math
8 oz alcohol diluted to 8.66 oz mixture, times 70% alcohol equals 64.66 % alcohol.

8/8.66 * 70% = 64.66%

1/3 cup = 2.66 oz
8 oz alcohol diluted to 10.66 oz, times 91% alcohol equals 68.29 % alcohol

2 parts alcohol 1 part aloe vera

8 oz alcohol plus 4 oz aloe vera = 12 oz mixture

8 oz alcohol diluted to 12 oz, times 91% alcohol equals 60.66% alcohol.

8/12*91%= 60.66%

[h=2]Why Is 70% the Most Effective Concentration of Isopropyl Alcohol for Disinfection?[/h]

Isopropyl alcohol, particularly in solutions between 60% and 90% alcohol with 10 – 40% purified water, is rapidly antimicrobial against bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Once alcohol concentrations drop below 50%, usefulness for disinfection drops sharply. Notably, higher concentrations of alcohol don't generate more desirable bactericidal, virucidal, or fungicidal properties. ... more....

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'll be honest, not looking to pick a fight; those percentages just don't seem right to me. But, I'm no math professor. Main thing is that you stay safe. If you believe 70% diluted is still going to be effective, I won't argue the point. Please stay safe.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really prep but I think it's relevant...
We had a real life scenario on Saturday evening when the only supermarket in our small town caught fire and burned to the ground.
Once we'd established that there was a risk to our house from the burning building 100 yards away we got the dogs ready and moved the car as far away from the house as we could.

Being in such a low risk region we'd never considered a bug out bag or anything like that so Mrs Yeti packed an overnight bag and I packed the practical stuff.
As to which flashlight I packed, well all of them! I only have about a dozen in total, so they were all swept into the box along with juicepacks and spare cells, phones, iPad etc. I then put the bags in the car and waited.

Fortunately after a few hours the fire was under control and we stood down.
Thank you to Firecrews, police and medics the world over. We'd have certainly been damaged without their tireless work.
P