What watch you're wearing?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding changing batteries on expensive quartz watches.
I've changed the battery on my Grand Seiko quartz with the 9F62 movement a couple of times. Not difficult, but care is essential. It's such a beautiful movement, I'd hate to destroy one.
Can't say I'd recommend fettling with such a watch unless you know what you're doing.

I've got an Omega Planet Ocean with the 2500D movement (nicest looking watch in the series). It's in need of a service (expensive and can only be done by Omega) so has been sitting dormant in a drawer for years.
I could buy a very nice watch for less than the price of the service, but that's another issue.

Just changed the battery in this little one here, so that's what I'm wearing.

IMG_5723.jpeg
IMG_5724.jpeg

Had to add in a lume shot, of course.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
That old Bunn WILL be expensive to service. Figure $250+ if it doesn't need any parts. Maybe less but be prepared. Most shops I've checked with want $80 to open it up.
You're going to the wrong shops. I was just told no-charge for opening it up to give an estimate and generally 150 to clean and that particular movement.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I just asked and he said on Eco Drive is usually 8-10 years, but then he's wearing has been going for 15 years so far. Capacitor replacement is generally $78.
Yea, that's kinda steep. More than half of the price of the watch. Oh well, hopefully I'll get lucky and get the 15 to 25. Maybe I'll figure out how to do it on my own by then, haha.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
You're going to the wrong shops. I was just told no-charge for opening it up to give an estimate and generally 150 to clean and that particular movement.
Around here and in Pittsburgh, I'm hearing more like the prices that byk is talking about, with very few who will even do it.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could post a few different watch pictures but I recently dug this one out and I'm particularly fond of it.
46 year old Seiko quartz movement going strong. Not sure of its history, bought it years ago second hand obviously.
I couldn't quickly take photos of it on my phone that do it justice but it's amazing.

IMG_5733.jpeg

IMG_5730.jpeg
IMG_5728.jpeg
IMG_5731.jpeg
IMG_5725.jpeg

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Yea, that's kinda steep. More than half of the price of the watch. Oh well, hopefully I'll get lucky and get the 15 to 25. Maybe I'll figure out how to do it on my own by then, haha.
I just left but we were talking about the fact that anyone with the ability to be careful and work in tiny things can do much of this stuff themselves, so you may be able to save some money and have fun too in the process.

I'll ask him in the next couple of days how tough it is to change out the capacitor on an Eco Drive. I've done hundreds of batteries but never yet a capacitor, but I'll jump at the next chance I have to replace one.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I'll check later and see if there are any youtube instructional videos.

I've done a few precarious jobs like putting better tuners on my expensive Martin guitars which involved enlarging the holes in the peg head and making new screw holes. You only get once chance.

Last edited:

Buff

Enlightened
That's why some here need to check out Watchforum. WVCLOCKDOC would have all the answers as he and a few others do watch repair and would also be able to answer your watch questions. I sent WVCLOCKDOC a watch i messed up when i tried to replace the battery. The hands just simply fell off for no reason. I didn't like the watch anyway and sent it for him to do as he please. Same day he got it in the mail it was fixed and posted in the Perpetual daily wrist shot thread.
Sent him a mechanical watch too as a surprise. We're like family on that forum.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
That's why some here need to check out Watchforum.
I pulled that up the other day when you mentioned it. I didn't sign up yet, but I'm going to.

I probably should have checked that out before I dropped mine off. Probably could have gotten a better deal, but I didn't really want to ship it out.

Buff

Enlightened
Yea what's holding me up on my Submariner is shipping it off. With all the crime and theft i would hate to lose it in the mail.
Plus it's not a cheap service. Last i looked it was $450 for a vintage Seiko and i think Rolex was $200 more. That's a reputable private watchmaker not Rolex. Plus the watch is running only slightly fast. I've tried putting it in different positions over night as on the timegrapher it's nearly perfect at almost every angle.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
More Seiko you say.

This thing is absolutely beautiful, photos don't do it justice once again.
The accuracy of this movement is amazing.
Hey, we've both got almost the same watch, down to the blue dial even! Yours has a cleaner and more dressy look without the lume, but I like them both.

Reactions: F89