What watch you're wearing?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was expensive for a battery operated quartz but the movement is one of the best in the world (the other is made by Citizen).
It's a very classy piece indeed. The overall quality of every piece of the watch needs to be seen in person to appreciate.
Grand Seiko is arguably the nicest luxury watch brand in its class (including Rolex and Omega).
I'll have a look at the case back later to get an idea of age. I bought it new (imported from Japan) quite a few years ago.

Edit:

Looks like this watch was made in 2013.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I pulled that up the other day when you mentioned it. I didn't sign up yet, but I'm going to.

I probably should have checked that out before I dropped mine off. Probably could have gotten a better deal, but I didn't really want to ship it out.
It seems it used to be a Seiko forum but now covers all brands. I joined 1/1 and have learned a ton of info already.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I'll ask him in the next couple of days how tough it is to change out the capacitor on an Eco Drive. I've done hundreds of batteries but never yet a capacitor, but I'll jump at the next chance I have to replace one.
Here we go. I watched about 10 vids while eating an order of hot wings from my favorite place, and this seems like one of the best ones. There are some others that show a different type of spring clip that holds it in.

Doesn't seem much different from replacing a battery. Seems like the most precarious part would be getting the back off.

For the backs that snap off and on instead of having screw threads, I watched an interesting vid of a guy who used a hot glue gun to glue a wooden pencil to the back cover, then after it dried he turned it back and forth a little to loosen it up, and then just popped it up and off using the leverage of the pencil. Then he used alcohol to un-glue the pencil from the back. Almost seemed too good to be true.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I keep mine stored under a table lamp that stays on all day. Keeps the battery fully charged until I wear it.
Good tip on the o'ring. Otherwise sweat might cause an issue.

I used a pocket knife (closed) and a Tylenol cap to press the back on snap backs until I bought a snap back press tool from Harbor Freight.

I read at Timex for Indiglo watches you need to de-energize the capacitor before sticking in a new battery but the videos all show just plug and play.

Buff

Enlightened
It was expensive for a battery operated quartz but the movement is one of the best in the world (the other is made by Citizen).
It's a very classy piece indeed. The overall quality of every piece of the watch needs to be seen in person to appreciate.
Grand Seiko is arguably the nicest luxury watch brand in its class (including Rolex and Omega).
I'll have a look at the case back later to get an idea of age. I bought it new (imported from Japan) quite a few years ago.

Edit:

Looks like this watch was made in 2013.
Their fancy spring drive? I know someone that loves Grand Seiko and yes they are expensive.

Buff

Enlightened
My dad died in 2014. I got his citizen and keep it under a lamp. It's my strange way to also keep his memory alive i guess.
image.jpg

image.jpg

No idea how long he had it before i got it and a week ago it stopped working. The next day i accidentally knocked it on to the floor and Shazam it started up again lol.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My dad died in 2014. I got his citizen and keep it under a lamp. It's my strange way to also keep his memory alive i guess.View attachment 57170
View attachment 57171
No idea how long he had it before i got it and a week ago it stopped working. The next day i accidentally knocked it on to the floor and Shazam it started up again lol.
I have one just like it. Mine is circa 2010/11 and it still keeps a charge. It has "31" on the date currently. I only correct the date when I'm going to wear it. I got tired of correcting 25 watches on the first after each 30 day month (and February).

Perhaps it had stopped because someone had pulled the crown out some to save battery.
You can stick it in a south or east facing window to keep it charged also.

Last edited:

Ocelot808

Enlightened
For Citizen Eco-Drive models, or any solar charging watches I highly recommend this inexpensive LED based charger pod. 8 hour auto shutoff and 2-level 40k and 20k lux level output. Powered by a USB-C input. No damaging UV or heat concerns which was my selling point.

The optical equivalent of those motorized rotating mechanical watch winders. For $14 you can know exactly how much charge you are applying, great for occasional wear and everyday use.

Here is the charge table for Citizen Eco-Drive caliber E168

1000006806.jpg

40k Lux LED.......................30 min......3 min.........9 hrs.
20k. Lux LED.........................1 hr.........6 min.........18 hrs.

Here is the link for the solar charger:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CB5YTCF1?tag=cpf0b6-20

Hope this is useful to all solar charging watch owners

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
For Citizen Eco-Drive models, or any solar charging watches I highly recommend this inexpensive LED based charger pod.
Thanks Oce. That is a handy looking device. I've been keeping mine under a lamp that I leave on all night that is burning an LED bulb that only uses around 6 watts, but this charger could be handy for giving them a good 8 hour blast once in a while, especially if I start keeping them in a closed wooden box, which I may do to keep the dust off of them. 👍👍

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used to have a Seiko solar with a black face, dark crystal and no numbers on the dial. I gave it to my son who lost it.
I sure wouldn't mind finding another one some day. If I recall correct it had a gray hour hand and minute hand. No seconds hand. Black bracelet. It may have had a mark at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock but I don't think so. Kinda useless really but it sure looked cool on my wrist.

Buff

Enlightened
On the citizen solar watches i think once fully charged they can run for 6 months with no light at all. I do believe it's the newer ones as with most things newer technology better than old technology yada yada yada.
Not sure how you can tell when it's full but someone knows i'm certain of that.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
On the citizen solar watches i think once fully charged they can run for 6 months with no light at all. I do believe it's the newer ones as with most things newer technology better than old technology yada yada yada.
Not sure how you can tell when it's full but someone knows i'm certain of that.
I've never tried mine to see, but yeah I think you're right in that citizen says 180 days. My first one came from Kohls. It was in a box. I tried to charge while at work one day leaving it on the dashboard of my truck. It would not charge. My boss said the uv block capability of the modern windshield makes it so solar stuff won't charge. He had tried keeping a truck battery charged via solar trickle charger.

It was winter so I wasn't going to go around with my sleeve rolled up. I set it on the tool box of my truck for an hour and it ran the rest of the day. Next day it was back to two seconds movement so I repeated. That weekend I placed it under a table lamp where it sits to this day when not being worn.

An option for dust free storage of solar watches

Buff

Enlightened
Thanks.
When I say I leave it under a lamp the lamp isn't on all the time. But it's a lamp we use in the evening and on overcast days so the watch gets a few to 6 hours of lamp light a day when we use the light.
Otherwise it gets indirect light on sunny days when the room is lit up naturally.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Mainly a Seiko guy; have a few that all keep very accurate time.
The black Kinetic I'm wearing has only come off my wrist maybe 10 times in the past 7~8 years... I just don't bother taking it off.

fun stuffZ::

Bought a simple design, titanium Citizen* off ebay several years ago, it's an ecodrive.
I charge it across my room with my tightest beam thrower on medium 🙊

*weighs nothing