What will fit in this space?

shawn hughes

Newly Enlightened
My last post brought no ideas, so, different room, more suggestive title.

I want to convert a visible-only headlamp into a dual spectrum one.

The part of current interest provides 6v (4x1AA), and has a high and low setting. Don't know how it accomplishes that.

The current emitter is a XR-E style (XREWHT WF-P4 081010).
The reflector appears removable according to another thread on here.

Here is a pic from this site courtesy of Bobski:

remHeadlamp3.jpg

So,

First question - How do I identify the item the pill is attached to?

Second question - Once I get that nomenclature straightened out, is there something drop-in that has a visible warm white emitter and a 940nm IR emitter?

Thanks!

Shawn

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Well the answer to your first question is relatively simple. The part behind the LED that has the wires attached to it is the driver. That regulates the voltage and current to your LED. The XRE will take up to a 3.7 volt Vf (forward voltage) which your driver gets from the 4 aa batteries that powers it.

Your second question is a bit tougher. I myself dont know of any dual LED that has a white and a IR led located within the same die. All the ones I know of are separate LED's and Vf compatibility would (could) be an issue in your case. Most of them I have researched have a lower or higher Vf. So using your current driver wouldn't work. Now maybe someone more knowledgeable might be able to point you in the right direction but I cant help you there.

shawn hughes

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your response!
I knew the pc board was the driver for the leds, I was curious if the part the led is soldered to has a common descriptor for form factor, so I can ask, say a vendor, do you have any dual led emitters that fit an 'alpha'?

I didn't think about the differences in voltage, I'll be sure to keep that in mind. My idea is to put a switch after the driver, so that I can select IR or visible, so they will have to match.

Thanks again

shawn

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
That part goes by several names: PCB (printed circuit board); MCPCB (metal core PCB); star; heat spreader; probably a few I've forgotten. If you refer to it as a star or MCPCB, almost anyone knowledgeable will know what you are talking about.

They are measured in millimeters (diameter), and some common sizes are 10, 12, 16, 20, and 25 mm.

Was your star attached to any kind of heatsink? It would be aluminum or copper. The lack of any visible adhesive or white grease makes me think probably not.

Latest posts